Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • I'm kind of homeless and it's a bit shit.
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

This place is amazing sometimes. You’ve been given some great advice sharkattack good luck with everything.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if you find yourself in Surrey and want a week on the coast after drop me an email.

Can we ask you create an email address and add that to your profile – stw dot vanman at gmail.com 😉

jimmy

Plenty of wild swimming opportunities in the Lakes too

This was going through my mind with regards showering. Nothing like an outdoor swim to calm & refresh the soul.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

I have a voucher for Sainsbury,s for £50 it was given to me when they did some building work after 12pm.

If you take up any of the kind offers that have been given to you from the stw masses, I will send it to you so you can by food and stuff,

I don’t think you can buy fuel but ill ask for you.

I also have a PAYG sim card with £10 credit, you can have that as well,it comes complete with a £4.99 mobile phone just in case.

None of this is much use unless you have an address for a few days, but ill add this topic to my favourites and ill check back to see how things went.

MB

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

some lovely help here, well done guys and shark, hope you swallow the pride and take some of the help.

I’ve occasionally fed a chap who’s in the old wooden bus shelter near us, chatted and he would agree the local support if you find yerself in that position sucks, big time. he avoided the shelter option as he wanted to keep away from drink and drugs and tried to stay above it. Our local community now really helps him and when I ride past he often has visitors trying to help.

He also got the favour of a local pool who let him come in and shower/shave every day. He agreed a quiet time when not many where around. You could try that.

Good luck and if that paypal thing come out then I’ll happily help.

jimmy
    sharkattack

Van living in tyne and wear sounds like you’ve made a big mistake somewhere along the line

You’d think so wouldn’t you? I’m not a drug addict or an alcoholic. I’ve never been in prison. I’m a very normal person. I just didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do when I was 16 and fell into a cycle of dead end jobs and rock bottom wages.

Now it’s employment agencies and temporary contracts and redundancies. It’s a process that makes you fell utterly worthless as a person. I’ve been trying for years to break out of the loop and raise myself up a level but the opportunities just aren’t there. I know I’m not unusual. There’s plenty of people worse off than myself but knowing that doesn’t make it any easier. When you feel like you’re being punished every day for mistakes you made years ago and you can’t find the door to get back in the game.

Thanks for all the offers everyone I’m going to look into all the job adverts when I’m near some wi-fi. I don’t want to start accepting cash because it’s not a life or death situation. I can eat and drink and I’ve found a nice spot full of van hippies. The offers themselves are heart warming.

Just being away from TV and Facebook etc is good, I can feel my brain slowing down. Also, Keswick has a sick pump track and I just had a session with some bmx kids half my age.

I’ll keep in touch as long as my data lasts but don’t panic if it runs out.

Thanks everyone.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shark. Do not let your insurance run out especially due to not accepting offers of help. No Insurance -> nicked by coppers -> conviction/ fined -> astronmical insurance / none -> van sold -> sleeping where / how to find work ?

We are not going to hassle you and no one is judging you, however if we don’t have an email address or phone number we can’t help or keep in touch

willard

Jamba’s got a point. I’ve seen it in the past that people have put off accepting help until they were past the point that the help could help.

It may be better to take a couple of people up on the help now and build up a little bit of a cushion.

I’m not hassling, I’m just saying.

jamj1974

At least let us chip in for the van insurance!

Dark-Side

Hi Sharkattack, if you do make your way towards Drovers Cycles or anywhere past Chester I’d be happy to provide a roof for the night, a warm meal and come cash for petrol/insurance, just let me know if I can be of help.

Edric64
    Free Member

I am S outh of Bristol so out of the way for you but can also offer a bed for a bit if needed and a job came up down here

matt_outandabout

jambalaya – Member

Shark. Do not let your insurance run out especially due to not accepting offers of help. No Insurance -> nicked by coppers -> conviction/ fined -> astronmical insurance / none -> van sold -> sleeping where / how to find work ?

We are not going to hassle you and no one is judging you, however if we don’t have an email address or phone number we can’t help or keep in touch

This – if you don’t want to give your address out on a forum, drop one of us an email and we can ‘gateway’ it for you.

lungman

sorry to hear your situation cant help with work and accomodation but if your still struggling drop me a mail or post here and i can wing you some funds. The help offered here by stw warms my jaded heart

theauthorities
    Free Member

respect
    ninfan

Travis

This up here… above me…

Is what makes Britain Great.

Simples.

sharkboy
    Free Member

Hi,

I can’t promise anything, but I am a senior contracts manager for a company in the construction industry based in Durham.
    If you need work we are always looking for people who will graft. The MD is in France till next week but he trusts my judgement.
    PM me if you are interested mate

sharkattack

Insurance panic is over with one day to spare. I owe someone a little money but I don’t have to duck when I see the rozzers.

I also think I have somewhere to stay for the weekend near Newcastle. Just waiting for the call. I know it’s going backwards but I can gather some belongings and get a bit more organised. I can also job hunt like a normal person.

I’m not sure what I expected to achieve driving around in my shorts and flip flops. As if you can just turn up in a strange place looking like a hobo and turn your life around! Then again I didn’t really plan this little excursion.

There’s been some excellent suggestions made in this thread. When I can sit and concentrate I’ll go through them all. I really need something new and different to do with myself and I don’t care where it is so I’ll be looking for opportunities nationwide.

One more night in the van and hopefully a bed and shower tomorrow. I’ll keep in touch.

Today’s observation: washing with wet wipes is wholly unsatisfying.

Edit: Sharkboy, very interested. I’ll be in touch if I land back in the Toon.

theotherjonv

Can’t help with work or accomodation, but happy to help with the van insurance too.

Don’t think of it as charity; it’s friends helping out so you don’t need to resort to charity and as said above, far easier to accept help while it’s useful to you than call out when it isn’t. One day, not too far in the future, the wheel will turn and you can pay it forward.

clydebuilt
    Free Member

Strongly agree with the above regarding van insurance, a paypal account would let us sort that out for you. I for one am far happier to apply a bit of direct help rather than give to huge charities so don’t be embarrassed to accept a little help from fellow cyclists…

juanking

I’d be happy to chip in. Top job guys.

moose
    Free Member

I can help on the financial front if you need it. I’m back in the UK late December, floating around Leeds for a bit before starting a new job down in Hampshire. Just keep us updated and I’ll help where I can.

simmy
    Free Member

Good luck OP and isn’t STW a great place when someone needs help or advice. We may argue like kids on here sometimes but when the crap hits the fan the love is here.

My mate has been in a van for around 25 years now and he always gets a bit depressed around MOT and insurance time

Genuine question, not being rude or anything but doesn’t a motorist need an address to get insurance ? Do you just use parents / siblings / mates address ?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I will chip in £50 for van insurance just stick ya paypal account email up
    Really plenty of folks on here will be more than happy to help – no judgement fella we have all struggled

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Mate of mine runs a fencing business near Darlington and might need a bod, you will need to graft but the money’s good I will give him a shout tomorrow and post here

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Also I am in and out the toon on a regular basis so happy to buy you a big lunch.. or breakfast

Merak

Id happily chip in a few quid for whatever the reason,insurance, petrol…we’ve all been there or could be. It’s not charity rather brother/sisterhood 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just under 20 years ago, I was mentally in a very dark place, I had no job and I was given two weeks notice by an old friend to find somewhere else to live, after staying in his empty student rental place for the summer. In desperation, I went to by GP, who was brilliant and got my a room at a local hostel. A while later, the great staff at the hostel got me a flat at a semi-monitored home and a year or so later, I went back to a private bedsit renting and got my first paid job in ~5 years. The rest is history.

The point of waffling above is basically to say it is very possible to dig yourself out of life situation holes, with help from suitable professionals.

Good luck OP! 🙂

sharkattack

I’m in a house! Safe and sound for now. It’s short term but it’s free. I’ve got a bed, shower and internet for long enough to get my act together. Six nights in the van that was. I’d been out a few days before I had a whinge on here 😉

Ninfan, thanks for this. I only just checked the link.

now, if it rains tonight go and have a wash, before we have to turn you over to the council

If you are serious about building work, the National Trust is actually looking for people in Cumbria

Yes I am serious. Just found this- LINK
    Do you know anyone involved? I don’t have any building experience but I’ve worked in factories and workshops so I know how to operate in a dangerous environment without losing eyes or fingers. If I need a CSCS card and some workbooks I’ll get them asap.

I’ve know that if I stay in the northeast there’s nothing but soul destroying, dead end, drudgery and I don’t want that cycle of misery to carry on into my 40’s. I’d love to be based in Cumbria or Sheffield or the South West somewhere if I could afford to move in.

I’m desperate to find something that I could do for the rest of my life. I’d love to train as a sparky or a carpenter or something but I’ve found it impossible to get an entry level position. I don’t know anyone who can help and there’s no family business to go into. I’ve managed one interview for an electrical apprenticeship last month. Obviously, I didn’t get it and was genuinely gutted.

Anyway, the search continues. I’ll miss my hashtag vanlife crew from last nights spot. They were much friendlier than the police in South Tyneside.

Hopefully next time I head off in the van it will be towards something.

EDIT:

I can’t promise anything, but I am a senior contracts manager for a company in the construction industry based in Durham.

Shark boy, there’s no email in your profile.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Good lad, shouldn’t be an issue keepin your chin up, you sound tough enough to me! None of this is a drama, people get in places they didn’t imagine, it’s about getting out now.

I reckon you’d have a mega quality of life working for the NT. Bit of graft but could be anything, they do all sorts, fixing paths, replacing windows in rented properties… All sorts. Job in the lakes would be mint. I’d definitely look into that, sounds like you enjoyed Keswick!

sharkattack

Yeah I actually feel alright. I’m not depressed or stressed out. I feel excited about what might happen. As long as something actually does happen. I was incredibly frustrated the day I first posted. I’ve came down from that after a few of days away.

It could be much worse. As I said, I’m not an addict or anything. I’ve only got a phone bill to pay, no real debt and no big impending expenses.

Having the van is a life saver. I’ve got almost all my possessions in it. Taking a spare room everywhere you go is amazing. It’s shelter, privacy, storage, everything. If I didn’t have it I would have been straight in a shelter or hostel or something.

I reckon you’d have a mega quality of life working for the NT

I agree. I think I’d love it. Just need a way in.

alpin
    Free Member

If I were to come back to the UK a NT job would be what I’d want…. Something outside and with a purpose in a nice landscape.

Good luck Sharkattack.

matt_outandabout

Good, good.
    Onwards
    Upwards
    Better.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shark thanks for the update, I’m glad to hear the news. If its being a Sparky that interests you I am sure the job centre could help with a course, night school ? BTW I think that’s a good call, work for a small or large outfit or for yourself / build a business. Don’t give up on that idea, I think you are onto something

I should be around Hampshire mid/late Sep and if you come @ninfan’s way its a short hop. Maybe there is more work down here, chance of a foot-in for electrical work ? I have a spare bed for a week but no bike suitable car so it could work both ways, do a ride or two and meet the Lordswood Thur night crowd in Southampton who may have some ideas too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If its being a Sparky that interests you I am sure the job centre could help with a course, night school ?

Promise you will go into a job centre and try this Very very out of touch.
    They dont help anyone – go on seriously go in and ask I will be surprised if they even bother to signpost you anywhere and they will just say they dont do that.

Secondly their is no funding you know austerity and all that.

rwamartin
    Free Member

sharkattack,

It would take me a little while but if you were serious about becoming an electrician I could probably write a few pages that would give you an overview of the key principles that would enable you to speak with a degree of knowledge should you get another chance at an interview.

Rich.

cvilla

Shark,
    Re National Trust I do work for NT in Cumbria (but not for the direct labour team so no promises), NT job website can be temperamental, job ref found here http://www.totaljobs.com/job/66397687?WT.mc_id=A_RE_CJPPC_MP3_SKT_4
    But email me and I will explain and give you a local contact, always worth a call / application.
    Enthusiasm is key:)
    I guess coming across to Keswick also gave you a change of scene and as they say a change is as good as a rest.
    As ever keep trying things and something will work out, even if not the original plan. NT also have volunteer jobs going and occasionally even accommodation , but I guess you really need an income as well.
    Drop me a line (if you want…).
    Chris

jambalaya
    Free Member

Secondly their is no funding you know austerity and all that.

Clearly the £130bn pa of welfare spending is not being well allocated then. You know better than I about the Job Centre currently all I know is there is quite a lot of ‘leccy work down here and that training is part of their “armoury”. Also the Job Centre route is necessary to ensure you get the benefits you are due.

OP a good mate of mine does van delivery / logistics work via an app/website. Obviously needs the right insurance but he finds it a good way to make some money since he retired from full time work (closed his business), seems the trick is to combine jobs, so for example he’ll get one main job then add a few to make it worthwhile.

hora
    Free Member

OP, you know I’m always up for a ride. It’s always an enjoyable ride when your about (I never thought I’d say that to another man) 😆

thebees
    Free Member

A good way of making inroads to being a sparky would be to start as an electricians mate, especially if you are a mature applicant.You’ll soon pick it up as you go along and can do one of the intensive training courses for trade qualification at a later date (NICEIC). Plenty of call for sparkys mates down south, just stick an advert in any electrical wholesalers offering your services.
    Any one of us can be down on our luck. Hopefully a few things swing in your favour and you get something to build on. Best of Luck.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘I'm kind of homeless and it's a bit shit.’ is closed to new replies.