Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • I'm kind of homeless and it's a bit shit.
  • sharkattack

Long story short- I’ve run out of places to sleep. I’m so lucky that I’ve got a van and some camping gear or I’m not sure exactly what I’d have to do.

I don’t mind sleeping in the van, I’ve done it loads but it’s always been optional and recreational. It’s crap when you’ve got no idea where to put yourself and you end up driving around all day. I’ve got my bike and some books and tried to treat it like another unplanned weekend away. But I already stink and I don’t have a hot shower and double bed to look forward to. Also, people apparently phone the police if you park up in a posh area. Which is just embarrassing.

I don’t have the money to wander for long. I’ve got no work lined up. Van insurance is due. This is a hole I’ve been digging for a long time and now I’m in it. I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

All the hashtag vanlife people on instagram make it look so glamorous. But, they’re mostly in California and I’m in Tyne and Wear.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Head to Europe?

Could kill hitchhikers for their meat?

ninfan
    Free Member

If you can find your way to Surrey I’ve got a spare room (though its only small with a single bed) but I can put you up for a few weeks till you can get back on your feet.

matt_outandabout

Hmm, disappearing post time.
    Attempt 2.

Sorry to hear that OP.

Have you any last favours to pull in for showers and meal? I know mates and family aren’t all that, but could someone have you stay?

What line of work were you in? Some income will help, even if temporary.

crikey
    Free Member

If you can find your way to Surrey I’ve got a spare room (though its only small with a single bed) but I can put you up for a few weeks till you can get back on your feet

Good show you.

If he takes you up on it, I’ll chuck £50 in the pot.

jekkyl

loads of casual work fruit picking daaan sauth in kent and surrounds, better weather too.

TomB

What work skills do you have. I can suggest some long term camping spots in near Keswick, good riding and lots of seasonal/casual work around.

bearnecessities

Can’t see an email for you in your profile, but send me one if you want some help to get back on your feet in W.Yorks.

beefheart
    Free Member

If you are truly out of options and have had enough of ‘van life’, approach your local council- they will have a housing/homelessness department.

windyg
    Free Member

Is it worth trying a few farms to see if they need some labour in return for a bit of cash and place to park up.

tjagain

NIce one ninfan and the rest. I’ll chuck in some money if the OP makes it to Ninfans ( or someone elses)

deepreddave
    Free Member

Quality responses and offers. The people of STW are truly a nice bunch. I’m over in the NW but email in profile if you’d like to chat about next steps after this weekend. I do positivity, reality and problem solving reasonably well.

cinnamon_girl

sharkattack – that sounds tough. Is it worth enquiring in the Job Centre re training courses? Is there any work for you in your current location? Perhaps Junkyard could advise on retraining, seem to remember his helpful posts. Do you have a Paypal account, would happily send some money towards getting your van insured and keeping a roof over your head.

You’ve got a lot to deal with and hope you can be optimistic that you can turn your life around.

drovercycles
    Free Member

What sort of work are you looking for? Any good with bikes? We could use an extra pair of hands for the next month or so for sure. Email in profile.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Go on the helpx website and look for someone that has room to park your van up in exchange for work. Farm, self build etc Most of the guys I know who have lived in vans do this and swap a day a week graft for their pitch and this leaves them time to find work. Worth a try? its expensive moving every night and an extension lead and access to a bog makes van life much more bareable.

siwhite
    Free Member

Sharkattack – stick your email address up, let us know if it is the same as your PayPal, and a few folk will chip in for fuel and van insurance money. Sounds like you have something sorted with DroverCycles, and top marks for Ninfan for his offer. I’d make a similar offer but we have a very young baby who likes screaming at all hours of day and night.

Head for a swim at your local pool, and abuse thier shower facilities first…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Head for a swim at your local pool, and abuse thier shower facilities first…

Not free to get in though is it ?

OP if you make it to @ninfan’s or have a paypal I’ll help out too.

EDIT: Perhaps God is not for you but I am certain a local church group would sort you out with something to eat and a shower. You need not give them anything other than your company, they will be happy to help you and they won’t ask for anything in return.

sharkattack

Firstly, wow. Thanks for all the responses. Especially the offers of work and accommodation. You’re all too kind.

I had a moment of madness earlier and I’m now in Keswick. I couldn’t handle another night of stealthing in the suburbs so it was the Lakes or Peebles and I went south.

Anyone need an apprentice? I like the look of all those dry stone walls I wouldn’t mind trying that. Oh and I’m a handy bike mechanic so if I get as far as Wales I’ll give Drover a shout.

Thanks for the replies. I feel weirdly up beat given the circumstances. Strange because when I am comfortable is when I most lose the plot.

spekkie
    Free Member

Whenever I’d tour France living out my car following Le Tour I’d duck into camping sites and use the showers. Sometimes it was free, sometimes it was a euro.

Feels good though, either way.

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t let us down now, we expect you to be President of at least one country in the next 5 years!

Offer stands; take up residence with an STWer and I’ll pay £50 towards your world domination plans.

honeybadgerx

The National Trust are sometimes after apprentices to learn traditional skills, dry stone walling, masonry, etc. maybe check out their website (Scottish one too). In fact:

http://www.buildingbursaries.org.uk/

http://www.nationaltrustjobs.org.uk/jobs/

afkt
    Free Member

most service stations have free showers

beefheart
    Free Member

Plenty of wild swimming opportunities in the Lakes too.

alpin
    Free Member

I heart ? STW….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Good luck dude, if you find yourself down south then drop me a line, I’m sure I can sort you some basic pay work or offer a shower & parking for the van for free.

TomB

Hopefully you have got somewhere to park up in Keswick? I live here, so drop me an email (address in profile) if you want any advice/support.

jamj1974

I’ll chip in too. Post some details. Take care of yourself!

tron
    Free Member

It sounds like you have things fairly together considering the situation!

If things do get tight, don’t forget that there are some absolute gits in the world. Take care of yourself, and run if anyone suggests any kind of situation where you need to give up cash (or the van, or take on debt) for a job, they receive wages on your behalf, or where your accommodation is tied into the job.

Keep hold of a bank account and if you get really stuck don’t be too proud to go and hammer on the door of the housing office / sally army etc.

The other thing to do is to get your name down with some employment agencies however you can. If you’re halfway motivated you’ll be the star guy that everyone wants working for them – the bar is set pretty low, so if you can turn up and knock off at the right time and spend less than 25% of your day looking at your phone, you’re sorted.

teasel
    Free Member

Another place to park your van (off road) and a bath (not shower) if you need a stop before you get to Surrey, should that be your move. A meal or two if your peckish.

Post details and I’ll send you my mobile number and email address.

murf
    Free Member

I reckon North is the way to head, I’m in the Highlands and there’s places you could park for weeks without anyone passing. Near to Inverness too so you could probably find work OK too.
    The trails are good too 🙂
    Best of luck with whatever you choose.

teasel
    Free Member

Strange because when I am comfortable is when I most lose the plot.

Ponder over this you must.

🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

Glad you sound a bit more upbeat

Offer remains open – mail me on labrat.imba at gmail.com if you do end up choosing to head down south

now, if it rains tonight go and have a wash, before we have to turn you over to the council

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5and1Edw8/26/49/section/85

cbike
    Free Member

There are about 4 or 5 last minute requests for Van drivers on UK touring crew on facebook at the moment. Day runs and Tours to Europe. I bet you could almost name your price. They seem pretty desperate some of them.

Edinburgh festival Get out crew needed from the 28th onwards?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This place is great, I’d send ninfan 50 as well – but still having shit luck with jobs here. Keeping sane/motivated by thinking about nice bike parts – might just work in a coffee shop/bike shop till I do my masters. Had enough of the damn stress.

user-removed
    Free Member

Dude, I’ve just been down the road of having to approach the housing department here in Sunderland. The only option available was a hostel which wold obvs be a total last resort.

Happily, I’ve been able to stay in the house for the time being – you know where I live and you’re more than welcome to crash here for a week or so (wife’s away on hols). Just turn up – if I’m out, I’m walking the dog and will be back in short order.

All the best.

Pigface
    Free Member

Got a mate in the Lakes, who has a mate who is a general farm contractor, walling etc, can put you in touch.

cvilla

If you are serious about building work, the National Trust is actually looking for people in Cumbria, they have a Coniston yard and a smaller Depot near Keswick. The manager is in Coniston.
    Search their job site or get hold of me, email in profile.
    NT also have campsites and a pub but that’s more seasonable work.
    Worth a chat if you are in Cumbria.
    Chris

yunki
    Free Member

Sports centers are the best place to get a shower..

Van living in tyne and wear sounds like you’ve made a big mistake somewhere along the line 😯
    Head south, get some work and keep your chin up.. living on the road is fraught with ups and downs as your fortunes and the seasons change..

My mate has been in a van for around 25 years now and he always gets a bit depressed around MOT and insurance time

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Can I ask what your story is sharkattack? How have you got to this position?
    Genuinely interested, might help with the advice/help people can give you.

All the best mate.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Sports centers are the best place to get a shower..

Yeap – our local pool does them for about a squid.

No work to offer I’m afraid, but happy to add a few notes to a Paypal account to help with insurance and staying warm and dry.

Best of luck mate!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘I'm kind of homeless and it's a bit shit.’ is closed to new replies.