Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I'm In a Will. What do i do? What's Probate etc
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

So long story short. I am in a will. After searching the net and FB it turns out i was left some things and was mentioned in a will which is at a Solicitor, but i don’t know which one it is left at just that it is in Manchester.

I did a Google search on the deceased persons name is on it at this site

Find a Will GOV.UK

Can’t order a copy till my new debit card arrives.

1. What would the copy of the will show

2. Why would this person leave me anything or mention me (they are/were blooming evil to me)

3. How do i find out which solicitor the will is at

4. More than likely my name is spelt wrong (next of kin are blooming idiots) so what do? I do have full birth certificate with them on it.

5. I am not interested in the money or objects, just curious as to if there was a letter left for me. Do i have to take the money or objects? Can i give it away (give to sister if she wants them)

Thanks chaps

jambalaya
    Free Member

This could be interesting given how many times you’ve changed your name. Why not just speak to the Mancheter probate office ?

Maybe they left you something deliberately crap or a pain to deal with ?

You can do whatever you want with your “items”

maccruiskeen

Why would this person leave me anything or mention me (they are/were blooming evil to me)

Might depend on when the will was written. The will might have been drawn up before they had any beef with you. Possibly, also, there may not actually be a will, if someone dies without a will then their estate is divided amongst their relatives whether they liked them or not.

Sundayjumper

Do i have to take the money or objects? Can i give it away (give to sister if she wants them)

Wills can be amended after death if the beneficiaries are in agreement – CLICKY. If there are any tax issues associated with the item(s) then it might be beneficial for it to pass directly to your sis instead of to you then gifted to her. Depends on the exact situation, obvs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP there is no need for the will to be at a solicitor. A will can be a few notes on a srap of paper, signed and witnessed. The Probate office will have the copy, I imagine whoever was rhe executor / had the will will have put it into the Probate Office which is what they have to do to get the legal paperwork to pit the will into action / sell stuff / close accounts / distribute money and items

northshoreniall

Call the heir hunters – could be your chance to get on BBC 1!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why would this person leave me anything or mention me (they are/were blooming evil to me)

Maybe they were evil to everyone..?
    But family is family!

mrsfry
    Free Member

I was told on FB by a relative that my father told them and several others that my mother left a Will and property with a solicitor in a town in Manchester (i know which town).

My mother was pretty much ‘not very nice all the time’ and my sister was not on her radar for a whole host of reasons 🙁

Asked the forum about wills and probate as my mothers name came up on the search of the GOV.WILLS website. Considering her husband and son is alive i can’t understand why i would be mentioned.

Does anyone know what a copy of the ‘Grant and will’ would mention which solicitor would have her will or be in charge of it (sorry i don’t know how wills work except from TV)

Thank you

hjghg5
    Free Member

The grant will tell you who has been granted probate (the executor). They are responsible for distributing the assets and sorting stuff out. If a solicitor is dealing with it, their name will be on there. If someone else is doing it then you will find out who.

I *think* (currently applying for a grant and haven’t received it to see what the doc looks like so not 100% sure) that the grant may have a copy of the will attached, which will be the “grant and will” mentioned.

In my mum’s case my dad and a solicitor were named in the will itself, but the solicitor renounced the appointment and my dad is doing it alone (with my help) so just because a solicitor is named in the will it doesn’t mean they’re acting.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thank you Hjghg5 really appreciate that.

Just need to wait for my new cards to arrive.

Suburbanreuben The three of them were pretty much evil but only behind closed doors.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP it sounds quite straightforward. The solicitor should have made an effort to contact you, perhaps that’s how you got wind of things.

mrsfry
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

OP it sounds quite straightforward. The solicitor should have made an effort to contact you, perhaps that’s how you got wind of things.

Why would you say that?

Tell me which year i asked this forum on how to get a death certificate? Tell me what is the date of death and the cause of death on the death certificate? Tell how i found out that i was on a webpage with the name used on my Birth Certificate and tell me when that page was created

FFS Out of all the reasonable and helpful people who have offered help/advice when i needed some, you truly are a haddock among the roses

Edukator
    Free Member

Do some Googling, there’s lots on the Web. The more you know the easier it will be dealing with other relatives IME.

In answer to 5 you don’t have to accept an inheritance.

Believe it or not Jamba is right, contacting beneficiaries is the responsibility of the executor and essential to being granted probate.

shifter
    Free Member

That’s quite a reaction.

Do i have to take the money or objects? Can i give it away

It’s yours, do what you like with it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

contacting beneficiaries is the responsibility of the executor and essential to being granted probate.

Beneficiaries do not have to be contacted before Probate. They don’t even have to be told about the contents of the will. If they are due a bequest they should get it eventually, but once probate has been granted the will is a public document and can be checked as Mrs Fry noted.

There is someone on here you really knows his arse from his elbow regarding wills and stuff. He may turn up …

Edukator
    Free Member

If the beneficiaries are among the named executors then they have to be contacted.

mrsfry
    Free Member

She’s been dead for over ten years and i only found out she was dead this year by going on genes reunited 🙁

No one has ever contacted me. Found a old FB page created in 2011 that says i am being looked for. Although over several years i have had letters from the Salvation Army but they were from relatives i wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

Thank you

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If the beneficiaries are among the named executors then they have to be contacted.

That’s a very big “If”…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I'm In a Will. What do i do? What's Probate etc’ is closed to new replies.