Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • "I'm homeless but I won't live outside London "
  • oldboy
    Free Member

Deport the lot of them 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Talking to you is akin to the process; painstaking with little reward.

That is a brilliant retort/slap down to be fair but your point was still a fabrication/weak/BS.

You would fit in very well.

I have proof to the contrary

Not quite the same is it? Unless you are helping them fill out their claims paperwork.

No what i do is not quite the same hence as they are different jobs. What is your point exactly?
    Glad i did not disagree with you if this is what you get for agreeing with you.

binners

At the age of 40, having paid tax and national insurance every day of my life from leaving school at 16, my business went under and I had my first (thoroughly depressing) experience with the benefits system. I was told that I was entitled to the sum total of **** all, as I was still listed as a company director at companies house, and therefore as far as they were concerned, in employment. The fact that I had two kids and no income was of no concern to them. They just didn’t want me showing up on any statistics.

This was at the height of the financial meltdown/shitstorm, and I knew 5 people who were in the same boat, and been told the same thing.

When I see stories like this, I have a kind of grudging respect for the people who manage to navigate a ‘safety net’ that seems absolutely hell-bent on ensuring you never see a penny of public money! Under any circumstances!

It does appear that the people who’ve contributed nothing get to milk it, whereas those who’ve paid the most in get fobbed off with nothing. The system is completely dysfunctional and perverse

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fallsoffalot
    Free Member

junkyard if the comment a few posts above was aimed at me. worked for years and cant claim jsa . At no point did i say that, all i was trying to point out was that is the only housing benefit i am entitled too.if i was renting would be entitled to more. the jsa is another story and really cant be arsed with going into all the ins and outs of that.
    if the comment wasnt aimed at me i apologise and ignore.

hora
    Free Member

Binners I was paying top* rate tax in London yet all my tax etc counted for **** all. I showed my P60 etc and was still told EFF off.

*Junkyard all your wage just covers existing in London unless you play the system hence my savings were little at the time. Sure you can understand that.

I was informed by letter that I could appeal the decision and possibly claim an emergency loan. I decided to avoid chasing it, starve and carry on looking for a job.

The woman in the original link- her kids look old enough to be at school so I imagine she too is spending all her days looking for work.

Thanks to Tony Blair for continuining a system that is disgustingly skewered.

dan129
    Free Member

A friend of a friend was on the scratch he’s never really bothered about working he’s had to go to a weekly job club thing to prove he’s trying to get employment, he found the whole thing rather stressful went to his doctors and they signed him off with stress for two weeks so didn’t have to attend !!!!

dan129
    Free Member

The way the house prices and rental market is going in London it wouldn’t surprise me if pretty soon there won’t be any one left living there to do the normal jobs like bus driving or working a minimum wage job

grantway
    Free Member

dan129 – Member
    The way the house prices and rental market is going in London it wouldn’t surprise me if pretty soon there won’t be any one left living there to do the normal jobs like bus driving or working a minimum wage job

Government have already said, that people with manual labour jobs cannot afford to live in London.
    But you have a crap but overly expensive inefficient transport system so where can they move too.
    Being they have to come into work.

All I see in London is groups of people renting a house and Two to Three persons in each room and paying an average of £100.00p per week.

Would think the quality of life for a manual labour person skilled or un skilled in London must be just survival

hora
    Free Member

Tbh in the near future I bet you’ll get the majority of people on c50k living in ‘studio’ flats.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can rent a nice three bedroomed flat in Battersea next to the park and a 5 min bus ride to the Kings Road for £500 a week which is £2,166 a month or £26k pa or about £35k in pre tax income.

EDIT that rental would probably not be available to anyone on benefits ans landlords have stopped renting to them since the rule change which sees housing benefit paid to the tenet not the landlord. Too many have had bad experience of the tennet pocketing the money and not paying the rent

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hora plenty of people in Paris chose to live in a studio flat on €60k pa, they rather be central than have a bigger place with a longer commute. For £15k pa you can rent a 3 bedroom house just outside London

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There’s a flood of properties about to hit the market on the south bank between Victoria and battersea. We will see how much real demand there is……

With bloody QE you cant make rational investment decisions. The market has to correct (in London) it’s just when. The longer the delay and the more support, the harder the ultimate fall. Madness…

ninfan
    Free Member

For £15k pa you can rent a 3 bedroom house just outside London

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/bellister-castle-northumberland-goes-up-8601740

crankboy
    Free Member

An interesting article in today’s paper pointed out that we pump over £26 billion a year into propping up the aspirations of buy to let landlords by way of tax allowances and topping up rental payments with housing benefit . Yet it is those who need an actual home to live in who are portrayed as the scroungers.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a terrible situation, if only the council houses hadn’t all been sold off.

So Thatcher’s clearly to blame, as usual.

hora
    Free Member

Who were they sold off to?

Plenty haven’t.

MoreCashThanDash

In the interests of balance, quite a lot of BTL landlords are won’t accept tenants on benefits.

And as a more personal example, my brother in law received a large compensation payment after an accident at work that meant he will be unable to work 50 due to his ongoing problems. He’s invested that money in a couple of rental properties to give him an income when he has to give up work in the next year or so. Not sure I’d class him as a scrounging landlord given that he has two kids to support as well.

Solo
    Free Member

FWIW those signing on JUST for NI contributions get the most grief as they are the most likely to sign off and give up as they are not even getting any money. Those who are getting money and who depend it on will put up with a lot a more.

This wasn’t news to me, I’ve known for many years that the system exercises an immoral bias against those deemed to be able to suffer.
    Of course, the immorality is people are forced to finance the system via their tax contributions, while being told that the safety net is there, should they ever need it.
    However, if or when that time does come along. They are given grief as some sort of stress test against how determined and likely they are to push a claim for assistance, all the way through to resolution.
    A process of making life for someone who finds themselves out of work, even more stressful as they learn that the safety net they have been forced to fund, isn’t going to be provided for them, after all.

Therefore at this point, the DwP seem to have forgotten that entitlement should include consideration for those who have contributed. The flaw in the system is the individual bias and discrimination held by staff dealing with those who seek to claim.
    They make personal judgements based on their own sense of politics and perceived need and then choose who they provide complete assist to and who they allow to struggle with the system.

If you have contents insurance and you make a claim. AFAIK, the insurance company don’t take into account whether or not you can afford to have them not pay you out. It’s your insurance policy and you are entitled to payment under those T’s n C’s.
    But somehow the Gov gets to have it both ways.

(In 2010 I had reason to claim. All contributions in place and as they should be, but because I had no idea how to exploit the system and because staff exercised an default bias against my type, claiming anything. I went without)

Yes, the woman in question is suffering a misplaced sense of entitlement. I’ve no idea where she got the impression that the state will forever fund her choice of lifestyle.

Also, I appear to have missed any mention of the father of her children, the traditional “bread winner”.

Solo
    Free Member

hora – Member

Who were they sold off to?

Plenty haven’t.

Which reminds me of an R4 program I heard a few months ago. During the program a lady described how she came to live in a flat the council provided for her, in London. After a while the lady decided to exercise her right to buy from the council at a price much lower than market value. She then sold the property later for a price in excess of £500,000.

binners

There’s a flood of properties about to hit the market on the south bank between Victoria and battersea. We will see how much real demand there is……

Details here

sands
    Free Member

The Titina Nzolameso case is scheduled to be heard in the Supreme Court today (17 Mar 2015).

Hodge Jones and Allen

Northwind

jambourgie – Member

As I see it, it’s only going to get worse as property prices/rents get sillier and more and more jobs are outsourced or automated. Any ideas for ‘the final solution’?

What it is, is a crisis of salaried employment. Maybe the end crisis, but a slow one. It’s been a very effective way to coerce people into doing what you want them to do, but now that there’s better ways of getting those things done we’re losing the need to coerce. But, at the moment we’re still on the balancing point, and automating/teching people out of work, while still having a system designed to force people to work. “The Gospel imperative is broken”

We don’t need the donkey to move any more but we’ve spent so long wielding the carrot and the stick that we don’t know how to stop. Though now we want to save on carrots so we’re putting all our effort into making bigger sticks and wielding them more often. And acting surprised when someone kicks.

For as long as we flog the feudal capitalism and corporatism horses, we have to accept that there will be people out of work and out of step- it’s not that they’re failing to fit in the machine, it’s that the machine has failed to fit them. Obviously a lot of people want to pretend otherwise but if you have a broken machine and you don’t bother to fix it, you need to deal with the inevitable damage. It still makes good things, sometimes a broken machine is still worth running but you can’t brush off the losses.

The separate problem the UK has is insane Londoncentricity, everything possible is done to grow London at the expense of everywhere else, turn as much of the country as possible into commuter barracks, draw in jobs and then say “we need to invest more because London is where all the success is” instead of “we need to invest less in London because it’s already mentally over-invested and it’s leeched the life out of half the country”. Oh and of course expect the rest of the country to thank London for biting it. And you can’t work so hard to dragging everyone and everything into London then complain when people still want to live there.

and you’ll come
    for two weeks that will turn into ten years until your skins fallen off
    ’till you think “oh I’d better get out of London now me skins fallen off”
    You’ll think “oh, oh better get out of London” but where you gonna go,
    out into the countryside
    have kids, settle down in the countryside with you kids,
    think “oh, oh I’m out in the countryside with my kids, I got away from London”
    But no you ain’t
    You got kids
    Where they coming?
    Back to London, that’s where

You gotta run just to stand still, don’t even think about being ill
    you can a have quicky, maybe take a sicky,
    Do what you got do but don’t take the mickey
    Beggars cant be choosers
    You can’t be picky
    Get it, got it, good
    Off you go now son, off to those fields to breed
    or lie in that gutter and bleed
    I am London

zippykona

Who’s up for working an hour later tonight so we can give her the life she so rightly deserves?

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s quite Kafka-esque.

You are Jesse Pinkman, and I claim my $5 worth of Meth.

just5minutes
    Free Member

the total cost of her housing, direct benefits, healthcare and educating her children is already well over £1m if the dates in the articles are correct – just the housing cost alone is £358K for a 6 year period.

With most median families making a negligible net contribution to the state we’re looking at tens of thousands of families for a whole year just to support this woman. This is a slap in the fact to all the families that work hard and get by on much less with little or no direct state support.

allthepies
    Free Member

Worf every penny gov.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘"I'm homeless but I won't live outside London "’ is closed to new replies.