Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I'm heading to Scotland
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

So, in a couple of weeks I’ll be heading for Scotland. Spent a lot of time up their in the past, but never with the bike before. I’ll be spending some time in the Cairngorms and then Glencoe.

So, where’s the best trails?

Also, for at least one day, we’d like to hire an additional bike. The sister wants a go at some proper riding, so is there anywhere that will rent a ~140mm trail bike for a day? Any ideas on pricing?

bruneep

Have a look here http://www.mtbtrails.info/

Oh and look here beastie watch

persona
    Free Member

So, where’s the best trails?

ha ha.. Everyone thinks it’s the American tourists who have least idea of the scale and variety to be found in Scotlands countryside but the English are far worse. 😆

danielgroves
    Free Member

ha ha.. Everyone thinks it’s the American tourists who have least idea of the scale and variety to be found in Scotlands countryside but the English are far worse.

Like I said, I’ve spent my fair share of time in the Highlands before, but not with the bike. I know how varied it is, I’m just after recommendations for where to go ride.

persona
    Free Member

Yes, So give folk some sort of clue as to what sort of riding you consider “best”

bigjim

search for the big Munros thread on here, or search for other scotland riding threads, there have been some big ones.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Yes, So give folk some sort of clue as to what sort of riding you consider “best”

Fair shout.

Fast and flowy is always good, but I really am up for just about anything. I don’t tend to do big jumps or insanely steep, but I don’t mind techy stuff. I’d rather be sliding all over the place in rock gardens than through 4″ of mud.

If it helps at all, I ride a Meta 5.

matt_outandabout

Daniel – how is your navigation and route finding?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Though there is plenty in the Cairngorms along with Laggan nearby, I’m not sure Glencoe would be the best place to base yourself as although you have Kinlochleven nearby, there is not any worthwhile riding in the Glen itself and the trails and accommodation at the ski centre don’t justify a trip.

Fort William has far more extensive trails, with a mix of marked mtb trails, quality routes on walkers paths and plenty of cheeky local trails (if you can find them). Fort William is also more central if you decided on a cheeky mission to Torridon or Skye and is also where all the decent bike hire shops are.

Nevis Cycles do hire bikes and can help you out with a bit of local knowledge

Alpine Bikes are another option for bike hire.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Daniel – how is your navigation and route finding?

Excellent, quite happy with micro-navigation on and OS map with a decent compass.

I’m not sure Glencoe would be the best place to base yourself as although you have Kinlochleven nearby, there is not any worthwhile riding in the Glen itself and the trails and accommodation at the ski centre don’t justify a trip.

Unfortunately where I’m based wasn’t my choice. I was told after everything was booked. Thanks for the details, sounds it would be best to try and get the riding in while in the Cairngorms.

matt_outandabout

Cairgorms for the win this weekend – East is to be drier/warmer. I have last minute change of plans due to that and car in garage.

munrobiker
    Free Member

In Glencoe starting from the King’s House hotel then over the Devil’s Staircase, right at the end up the dam (ride on the concrete conduit you see to the left of the trail- much easier), left across the dam (it says you shouldn’t, but you should), left at the end down the Ciaran path to Kinlochleven, back up to the Devil’s Staircase and return to the start. That’s a classic.

Ben Lomond on the way back down south is very good, a must do.

Cairngorm- Carn Ban Mhor used to be good but I think it’s been “maintained” and my knowledge of the area directly around Aviemore isn’t great I’m afraid.

Northwind

No doubt the naturalistas will frown at this but, I’d nip up to Nevis Range and spend a day on the gondola bombing down the red and world cup routes. Then any remaining energy gets spent on the Witches Trails.

If riding around Kinlochleven I reckon there’s better riding than the Ciaran Path, which is a bit bloomin climbey for a descent. If you can find the stages from the Dudes of Hazard enduro last November, they are absolutely superb- climb up the landrover track past Mamore Lodge, then down the loch eilde or grey mare’s tail paths. It’d be like riding down a dried up river bed, if they were drier 😉

Alpine Bikes does hires from Fort William main street, I’m sure- not certain if they have normal bikes at Nevis Range or just downhill bikes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

which is a bit bloomin climbey for a descent.

Certainly is. Everyone else seems to love it, mind. It’s nice to say you’ve done it, and certainly better than the Witches mind.

Northwind

Oh I liked it- loved some parts, it’s a great ride. And interesting too- lovely area, have a poke around at the dam or ride around on the rocks under it, all that. But those other descents on the other side of the valley are better still IMO. Ideally, do ’em all 🙂

I wouldn’t make a trip to nevis just for the xc stuff but if you’ve got the legs and the will to do it after a day on the uplifts it’s decent. Really characterful, for a manmade trail.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ll throw my hat in with my Favourite area, Torridon 🙂

Two rides to do here that are just excellent, Ben Damf loop and the valley to the other side of Annant.

grum
    Free Member

I can highly recommend Ben Lomond and the Nevis Range uplift. Not really done a whole let else in Scotland apart from trail centres. Laggan is really great fun for a quick blast and you often end up going somewhere near it anyway, depending on your route.

Torridon looks incredible though.

I have the Kenny Wilson book and done a few out of there but most weren’t amazing TBH.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks chaps. I’ll crack out an OS map later and plot some routes with the info.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When we went for a post work ride at the World Cup there was a lot of trees down on the XC trails.

Sanny
    Free Member

Glencoe has some lovely stuff. Lairig Eilidh and Gartain. A wee mooch around Buchaille Etive Beag revealed a potentially great ridge ride and descent off the twin Munro summit. The Devils staircase and the Ciaran path make for a terrific loop from Glencoe. Glen Kinglass as an out and back wilderness ride is close by too. I really like Beinn Dorain especially the 4 Munro traverse. So to say there isn’t much round Glencoe isn’t strictly accurate. 😀

Then of course there is the likes of Stob Coire a Chairn and the Mamores above Loch Eilidh Mor……..

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

MadBillMcMad

bookmark.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I'm heading to Scotland’ is closed to new replies.