Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I'm having some bad thoughts…. (n+ content and races)
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well in turns out that this is going on later in the year not far away
    http://sswc2016.com/
    Few mates will be going and I kind of fancy giving it a go…
    I’ve got a 456 in the shed which I could convert but then again I’ve been looking at solaris in that new yellow…
    How well do these things work?
    https://www.merlincycles.com/dmr-single-speed-conversion-kit-45104.html
    As I reckon I’d probably gear it back after.

Oh and how long to get used to being in the wrong gear all the time?

dovebiker

I would go for a sprung-mounted chain-tensioner rather than a simple roller e.g. Surly Singleator or Problem Solvers.

As you’re likely to be over-geared, then climbs are the real challenge as you really have to MTFU

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll take a look

farm-boy

A couple of my mates are organising SSWC. It should be a good.

By contrast I get on ok with my cheapo DMR tensioner. It is only a pain when you need to take the wheel out.

But it is all a bodge. If you are serious about riding SS get the right frame. If it is just for this event then bodge away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Could be fun, think I’ll try it out on the 456 for a month and see how my knees explode 🙂 just need to find a fork now…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I guess the project is on…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/GWJGG9]IMG_20160509_164153[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Tensioner and single cog on the way

dave360

Was thinking of entering too, as I’ll be in Oz at about that time, but struggling with being asked to cough 70 quid to enter a bike race…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think there is free beer

dave360

well maybe not exactly free but included in the price.

dave360

but this is part of my problem. If I want to enter a race I’ll enter a race, if I want to buy beer/T shirt / underpants(?!), I’ll buy beer/T shirt / underpants, but I don’t want ’em foisted on me. I know I know, I should stop being a curmudgeon and enter into the spirit of the event. But 70 quid? Sheesh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah well yeah…
    Kind of going rate for camping and events stuff here, paid a bit less for a 12hr recently. Also the $ is stronger than it used to be so makes things seem more. Anyway not going to take tbis one down the race entry price route… Need to see if my body will adapt first

fin25
    Free Member

Your body will adapt.
    I’m a fat, talentless, arthritic, scaredypants bimbler.
    I went singlespeed 9 months ago and I am stronger, braver and my bike handling skills are improving every day.
    My knees sometimes hurt a bit, but nothing that’s gonna upset my GP.

kayla1
    Free Member

^ plus 1

Your knees will be fine, you just have to stand up and honk more is all plus you have to keep a little momentum going rather than comfort braking and relying on lower gears to be able to get up or through stuff. It’s great, as the tiger once said of sugar-coated flakes of corn.

BB/ISGC chain guides (Blackspire stinger type) make useful tensioners. Bodge away 😀

bigblackshed

struggling with being asked to cough 70 quid to enter a bike race…

I see you’re under the impression that it’s a bike race?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I could be tempted to make the long (1.5 hour) trip for this. Just been out to look in the shed and there is nothing remotely single speedable (sp) in there.
    One is bent and twisted and hanging as a reminder to stupidity. Gave one away to a workmate a couple of months ago and the rest all have chaingrowth issues.

That leaves a trials bike, which whilst technically eligible would be silly and an old Klein that I do not trust to ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bugger just entered my first SS race….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I'm having some bad thoughts…. (n+ content and races)’ is closed to new replies.