• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I'm having a "cracking" Week
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Started off by finding a crack in my 2011 Giant Anthem frame at the weld where the top tube meets the seat tube. A common problem by the look of it. No warranty unfortunately as I’m the second owner.
    I may look at getting it welded but have been put off so far after reading about post welding heat treatments etc.

Then yesterday after riding home from work I was putting my Cove Stiffee in the garage when the saddle fell off. Turns out that the top of the post has cracked and clamp insert has come un-bonded. I’m just glad it didn’t happen when I was riding. It was a Race face xo from around 2001 so its had a good innings. Annoyingly its a 26.8mm diameter which are pretty scarce these days.

To top it off I used my trance this morning to get to work and got a puncture.

Hopefully that’s my “comes in 3” out the way for a bit.

Andy

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

nope, puncture’s not a crack, you’ve still got one coming.

Sui
    Free Member

comes in 3’s is for accidents, so no you’re still in for some bruising.. You must have an “original” stiffee then, ahh they was the days…..<sigh>

andysredmini
    Free Member

Shh. I don’t want anything else to crack!

Yeah the stiffee is from around the same time. Its the same frame as the limited edition 69er with the cables under the top tube.
    After having a reverb on my trance and not being able to get a decent dropper in 26.8mm for the stiffee I was planning on replacing the stiffee frame with a new (2014/15)frame when they release it but they have gone and put a funny wheel size on it.
    Looks like I may get a chameleon instead.

Sui
    Free Member

I wonder if there are any old Stiffee’s around that are still new, I’d love another..

chameleon’s are nice, both very similar bikes form what I remember.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m not sure if these photos will work but here is the anthem

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1273BA841A39DFF5%212274

and here’s the coves saddle

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1273BA841A39DFF5%212315

andysredmini
    Free Member

My friend has an older chameleon and it rides and feels/fits very similar to my cove.
    Its the neon yellow on the new chameleon that’s making me want one!

My cove was my only bike for about 7 years and I used it daily for commuting and 50+ mile weekend rides. It really is a do it all bike when built up correctly.
    I wont get rid of it if up get a new frame. I will probably turn it into a bad weather bike for winter commutes and the long way home. Although that’s what I use it for now it has some nice parts on it too nice for trashing commuting throughout winter.

clubby

I’d get in touch with Giant and see what they can do for you. My mate’s went there as well and got a whole new frame no quibbles. I know you’re not the original owner but they may offer you one at a reduced price. Worth an email or phone call.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Ill email them now
    Its definitely worth a shot.

I have searched the web for a front triangle for sale but no luck. Loads of rear ends for sale though funnily enough.
    It puts me off buying another second hand one as the same could happen again.

LoCo
    Free Member

Punctured, knackered rim in process as on very rocky trail,
    washed that bike when got home and found a cracked chainstay.
    take other bike out few day later, snapped the internals (same downhill too)

That my three.

and new 29er frame coming too 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I'm having a "cracking" Week’ is closed to new replies.