Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I'm gonna get me a nice bell for my mountain bicycle
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve had enough. I don’t want to shout at people any more. I’m going to be a PR machine for mountain bikers and get myself a little bell to make hikers and dog walkers aware of my approach. Surely it has to be better than bellowing something incomprehensible through your polar buff? No wonder we have a less than glowing reputation. I wouldn’t like somebody to roar at me as they approached at 25mph on a bridleway.

In future, I’m going for a polite ping from a bell.

Does this make me a ghey moutain biker?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does this make me a ghey moutain biker?

You were already.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nah; bells rock. I find mine pretty much indispensable around the mean streets of the Great Metropolis. Particularly on canal towpaths and shared cycle/pedestrian paths. Even works well out in the wilderness; raises a smile from people. People’s reactions are far more pleasant and positive, when you have a bell, I’ve found. I’ve even been thanked for having one, several times.

Anyone who argues differently basically has intestinal worms and erectile disfunction.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are joining the ranks of the sensible. Bells smooth the way. A polite ting from a good distance away – a polite “thank you” as you pass

yunki
    Free Member

elfin +1

Bell = good PR..

there will be some outwardly gleeful and bawdy but ultimately dissatisfied with their lives types along soon.. they will have been too cowardly to rebel as youths.. so as adults they insist on making up for it now in petty and ridiculous ways that upset folk and make life hard for everyone..
    they will say that bells are useless and dumb and uncool and too heavy and that they enrage pedestrians and suchlike..

we should eat these people for xmas dinner

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Just make sure you don’t get one like that in the picture. My sister’s MTB has one and on anything other than flat, smooth ground it incessantly tinkles away by itself. Not cool.

Although I’m sure you knew this already…

crispedwheel
    Free Member

as they approached at 25mph on a bridleway.

More important to work on this aspect imo, rather than which form of ‘audible warning device’ you choose.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Crisped wheel- why? He’s just riding his bike.

Normally I ride places too quiet for walkers but I fit one for things like Ben Lomond, the Lake District etc. Just a little “ping ping” one rather than the sort you’ve put a picture of.

binners

Derek. I can’t fault your logic mate, but why miss the opportunity to make a visual statement

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I keep trying to create a more manly bell for rufty tufty mtbers, but I’m never sure how it should sound?

More of a ‘roar’ perhaps? Or a klaxon? Or maybe something like a jackdaw?

Hope hubs are a good example of a MTB noise…what could we do similar for alerting jeycore walkers etc?

pealy
    Free Member

120 Decibels of warning surely?

tonyg2003

I’ve been called a “miltant campanologist” by my riding buddies since I like a little tink, tink. Generally they do make life so much less hassle with walkers. They even smile sometimes 😀

They are also good for speeding up riders in front of you (especially on the road), since no-one likes to be overtaken by someone with a bell.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Honkity Honk Horn

Totally the way forward, had one on all my bikes for 4 years now, and not had walker related negativity since.

xcgb
    Free Member

I just say ding ding, I found that the ting of a bell makes em jump just as much as anything

druidh
    Free Member

ooOOoo – Member

Hope hubs are a good example of a MTB noise…what could we do similar for alerting jeycore walkers etc?

Err – a Hope Hub??

cinnamon_girl

Unfortunately so many folk go around with headphones on, ie dog walkers, runners and, heaven forbid, mountain bikers.

I use a bell but so many are unable to hear it when they’re ‘in the zone’.

Edit: have Hope hubs and their squealy brakes too!

Zoolander
    Free Member

Ive been using a bell of late – most people just ignore it though . The hope hub seems to have a better effect , either that or making horse noises generally gets peoples attention. (friendly horse noises though of course)

tonyg2003

On a ride last year one of the guys brought along a duck call. It was really funny but not successful in clearing the trail. People stopped dead and looked up for the ducks. Not recommended!

2hottie
    Free Member

So what was wrong with slowing down a little and saying excuse me?, or rider on the right/left, seems to work for me, except the old boy in the park the other day, he was a right twiiii@@@@@@t! I guess he was trying to impress his mates. Shame.

jools182
    Free Member

someone needs to start manufacturing a bell that is at least 87.2% more rad

Harry_the_Spider
    CountZero

I’ve had bells on all of my bikes for years. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve rung them, and peds have stopped and looked around for something they’ve dropped, looked around at me then carried on walking three or four abreast until I’ve got close up and called ‘excuse me’, at which point they’ve looked at me in a bovine fashion not quite certain what I’m doing there then shuffling sideways to let me go past, or badmouth me for having the cheek to actually ring a bell on a public right of way, or, in one instance suddenly cross in front of me as I was passing having rung my bell several times, knocking me clean off my bike. The stupid bint responsible was totally engrossed in a phone conversation, which ended abruptly when she fell over as well smashing her phone to pieces on the Tarmac.
    Bells are fine, but useless when those they’re intended to alert seem determined to ignore them.

redthunder
    Free Member
    terrahawk
    Free Member
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

That racing bell is sweeeeeettt, I bet the sound makes you go faster too

A more traditional choice maybe the Widek Ding Dong?

Thanks for the advice re. duck calls!

I was thinking maybe some samples from this guy

Brent Tippie – he scares me and he may well scare walkers too

philconsequence
    Free Member

ooOOoo
    Free Member

dashed good advice that

HermanShake
    Free Member

gingerflash

I prefer to slow down and say hello. Never had anyone complain about that. Ringing a bell just seems so rude.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You would think so Gingerflash – but the walkers seem to prefer it – and you can alert them to your presence from a lot further away.

yunki
    Free Member

I prefer to slow down and say hello. Never had anyone complain about that. Ringing a bell just seems so rude.

fair point.. That’s a similar attitude to me when I’m driving a motor vehicle at night..

headlights seem to be so bright and dazzly.. So I’ve decided to give convention a miss as I prefer to just use a hearty shout to warn people of my prescence and wave a jar of glow worms so they can see me..

TiRed

The tandem has sported a Thunderbird 2 sqeaker, bell and of course has that honking horn, which I love. The horn is on the front, less the stokids get carried away. T2 was retired from duty on account of it getting cold, hardened and broke 😥 , On the trail, I get my sons to ring theirs – since their bikes serve for school commuting too.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I'm gonna get me a nice bell for my mountain bicycle’ is closed to new replies.