Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • I'm going to lose my best canine mate tomorrow…
  • LardLover
    Free Member

Wanted to respond yesterday but couldn’t.

We had to put both our Springers to sleep last year. Molly, the youngest was 7. She had liver failure. She died the day after my 40th. My wife was convinced she held on till after my birthday. It was totally unexpected and so quick as Oscar, who was 15 when he was put to sleep was every bit his age in his body but not in his mind and we thought he’d go first. The poor old sod was incontinent of urine which we treat with a home made cumberbund and Boots urinary incontinence pads (highly recommend). He could only walk a few steps in the end, couldn’t poo without one of us holding him up (otherwise he would sit in it).
    We were being selfish as we lost Molly unexpectedly, we kept him going. I used to look at him and feel so shit for doing it to him, he just looked so tired sometimes. We knew the time was right and we were just being selfish, he loved nothing more than going for a walk and he couldn’t even do that.

What I wanted to say is, just as many others have, you’ve done the kindest thing for your dog, it’s being a good RESPONSIBLE owner. As also mentioned, you will feel a sense of relief. It won’t make you feel any better but there will be that sense of relief that your best friend isn’t suffering any more.

😥

hora
    Free Member

Remember the goodtimes 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

🙁

garage-dweller

Hope all went ok. Sounds like you have done the right thing. Having lost both our dogs over the last 3 years or so our hearts go out to you. All the very best for the grieving process..

stratobiker
    Free Member

Bon Courage bullheart.
    It’s the right thing to do. The kindest thing to do. The toughest thing to do.

He’ll always be there in your heart.

Hold him close until he’s gone, until he’s free.

Bon Courage.
    SB

singletrackmind

😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥 🙁 😥 😥 😥 🙁

Chin up big man .

Man hug from me.

Hadge
    Free Member

Sitting here reading this and my eyes are a bit full. Also sitting next to me is my Jack Russell which I rescued and she’s 7 and I look at her and so wish I’d had those 7 years with her as she’s just my best friend ever and I love her to bits. Really don’t want think of the day she goes from our lives here but i truly hope it’s a long long way off form today. Hope everything went well today and chin up and remember all the good times like those before have said.

doglover
    Free Member

🙁

sarah2653
    Free Member

Man so sorry for u me and the wife in bits ere .Dreadin the day it happens to our springer she’s twelve and lookin at us now as if to say what’s up dad. Chin up mate 🙂

Damn it I keep reading this thread with a lump in my throat

*cough cough*

That pic is too much. Just brings back memories of my springer … 15 years ago and she still lives on in my heart. Keep strong (for me)

bullheart
    Free Member

Our vet came around today and sent him on his way. The vet, myself and my wife stroked and chatted to him as he went. And then all three of us wept. Graeme (vet) has known all about Sumo and his role in my recovery, and was just wonderful. We then put him in the back of my van and drove him to a lovely crematorium near Ashford; I hope to collect his ashes tomorrow, and then I’ll scatter them at the woods in Wadhurst where we used to live.

I’m numb really. I made up food for the bastardspaniel tonight, and nearly sorted two portions by accident. The house is subdued without him, and Max just sits there, looking at Sumo’s rug. But my overwhelming feeling is that of relief, knowing the big lad is at peace. And as he lay on the table at the crematorium, I pushed my face up against his fur and took a deep breath – all the time we had him, he smelt beautiful; just like straw. I’ll never forget that wonderful smell.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Sumo my friend, we’ll run and play together again. I promise.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

🙁

+1

Hardest thing being there at the end, making that decision, but it is the right thing to do. Feel for you, remember the good times.

jedi

in tears again here

spacemonkey

Thoughts are with you BH.

Just wanted to add something that may or may not be relevant depending on how much you’ve thought ahead … Our beloved Bert passed away 2.5 yrs ago (had a stroke during the night – one of the most distressing things I’ve ever encountered). Wasn’t sure what to do re burial/cremation so I did some research (again, not the easiest thing to do) and called the local pet crem. They were great and couldn’t have been more warm and understanding. Invited me down to get a feel for the place etc. They even included a chapel and service! All in all, those few minutes made my mind up for me – Bert would have a little box and be with us always. Prior to that I just didn’t get the “keeping your pet’s ashes” thing. If I hadn’t done the legwork I reckon I’d have regretted my original choice (scattering). So all I’m saying is you might like to take some time to figure out your next steps …

Big hug from the furry fella (Springer) sitting next to me.

EDIT: just noticed you’ve posted while I was writing the above, so please don’t take my words (re scattering) the wrong way.

soobalias
    Free Member

time makes it easier, but that last night/morning will haunt me (and you likely) for ever.

had to stop reading this at work, balling yer eyes out aint professional.

run free Sumo.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Very sad 🙁

Hadge
    Free Member

bullheart writing that post must have been so so hard to do but thanks for letting us know how you went on today. Thoughts are with you as I’m sure lots of others on here are thinking that too. Chin up matey.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Ahh man thats sad. You did the right thing and i’m sure you’ll feel better soon.

Mine ate a whole load of my baby daughters feeding bottles today, but i reckon i’ll forgive him now.

All the best.

billysugger
    Free Member

Sounds peaceful

kinda666
    Free Member

http://petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Friend lost her Dane today, between this thread and Marcy I’ve felt shit all day

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree with spacemonkey. Don’t be in a rush to scatter those ashes. I planned to do the same when I lost Onza 7 years ago. The advice I was given was that there’s plenty of time. He’s still sat on the table in the corner of the lounge with us now. Life has moved on and I’m no longer near the place I was going to scatter him so I wouldn’t have been able to go and see him all these years.

solarpowered
    Free Member

X

redwoods
    Free Member

So very sorry the time came to say goodbye to your boy 🙁 Am totally dreading that day with ours (he’s 11 and is currently licking my hands as I’m typing because I’ve got tears running down my face)

Not much anyone can say at a time like this, but I do remember finding the words of this poem to be some sort of comfort when my mum died.

You can shed tears that he is gone,
    Or you can smile because he lived,
    You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back,
    Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left.

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him
    Or you can be full of the love that you shared,
    You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
    Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember him and only that he is gone
    Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on,
    You can cry and close your mind be empty and turn your back,
    Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Hugs to you and Mrs BH.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Christ, that bought a tear to my eye.

Sitting here next to my 15 year old cat… am dreading the day.

theotherjonv

I’m so sorry BH. But rest assured, that you gave him a great life and when the time came, you helped him in the way he’d have wanted you to.

We faced this with our old cat a few months ago. Because I’m crap at dealing with this sort of stuff, the night before he made his last journey I sat downstairs with him and wrote a letter from him to my girls. I said it was to my girls, really it was to me as much as anything. I hope you don’t find it self indulgent, but it puts in words what i think Sumo would say to you now if he could.

Dear Polly.
    I know you will feel sad today. I know a lot of people will be sad because I made a lot of friends in my life. That’s OK, I hope you will remember me and talk about me with them.
    But I don’t want you be too sad. I want you to know that when it was time to go, Mummy stroked me gently and the kind Vet helped me so that I didn’t feel anything.
    Although I am not there any more, I thought you might like to know that I am in a very happy place. Where I am now it is always warm, but not too hot. I don’t feel old, or poorly, or hungry or tired. I feel just like I used to when we were first friends; I can run fast, and climb trees, or if I want to I can sit on soft grass and think about all my friends. I am allowed to sleep on the beds if I want, and I have chicken every day. If I close my eyes and imagine I can hear you and Elsa playing and laughing. And best of all – NO DOGS ALLOWED!
    Please tell Elsa that although I miss you both, I am very happy now. Thank you for being my friends and for letting me go when I needed to. That was very kind, even though it has made you feel sad. I will miss you.
    Love from
    Jasper xx

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jeez. It’s all a bit emotional. 🙁

Well done for today beefheart. We all know it was the right thing at the right time but it doesn’t make it easy.

Oh no, these posts are killing me. So sad …. yet so wonderful we can share such amazing times with our pets

mintsauce5
    Free Member

Thoughts are with you today BH , it’s so hard but keep your chin up

Del

there’s not much in this world that causes me to succumb to visible emotion so readily as to be obvious to others, than the thought of what must come for mine, that you’ve been through today.
    The Horrible Dog has tonight been thrown, unwillingly, in to the canal ( not a swimmer through choice ), for getting up on tables at the pub, again.
    for all that and more, I fear terribly that day that i know must one day come.
    i clipped the following from a paper, when i did not know whether or not i was going to get to hang on to my hound, during the break up of my relationship:

‘Only A Dog’ by David Prowse:

A spaniel dog can’t change the world
    Or lend it harmony or grace
    And yet, within one humble home
    He makes it seem a better place
    The fiscal clouds don’t disappear
    When eager strides ignore the rain
    But a glance upon that bobbing head
    Would make it churlish to complain.
    Just when the gloomy skies pervade,
    From drizzled boughs, a bird will sing
    And hazel eyes will share a smile
    To make the common man a king.
    Once this was you, a zealous child
    Whose youthful bones would yearn for play
    And know this sprite has stirred again
    That passion for the newborn day.
    The way it is without dissent,
    To eat, to run, to sleep, to dream
    And, with those blessings, be content.
    And then to love, not on a whim
    But from the moment he awakes
    Without condition or restraint,
    To love with every breath he takes.
    He doesn’t lie or cheat or steal,
    Nor does he bend upon the breeze
    And, of the passions he pursues,
    His greatest pleasure is to please.
    The trust with which he’s been endowed
    Is based on understandings learned
    As day by day and stage by stage,
    We found we had that trust returned.
    A spaniel dog can’t change the world
    Though, oftentimes, I wish he could
    But were he human flesh and blood,
    I swear it, I believe he would.

the Mangy Hound is upstairs asleep right now, completely unaware, the git. she smells a bit at the mo. rolled in something last week and it seemed like we’d got rid of it, but she found it again this weekend.
    suppose it makes me smell better by comparison.
    bloody dogs.
    all the best.
    D and Meg.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

All the best, hope you’re ok.

TheWrongTrousers

So sad Bullheart, all the best mate, terribly sad …
    One positive to come from your tale, makes me appreciate my pooch all the more. Will go home after work and give him a big hug and let him get up on the sofa, just cos he won’t around for ever and I miss him already.

Kevevs
    Free Member

sorry to hear Bullheart, seen my dad go through a couple of things with dogs, it can be emotional, and why shouldn’t it be if you spend so much time with such a loveable loyal mate? Dogs are ace.

Muke
    Free Member

Will raise a glass of Itchen Valley Team Bullheart
    to you and Sumo @ BBB this weekend 8)

willard

I’ve lost a couple of canine best friends now and every one is an appalling loss.

Remember him with love, not sadness.

cupra
    Free Member

Sitting here reading this next to my 12 year old pup with a huge lump in my throat….

You know you’ve done the right thing. Think of him and smile.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Well done bullheart!

Your pain. His freedom.

SB

igrf
    Free Member

Sorry to read of this chum, lost my old boy last year, and the dappy vet girls couldn’t lift him to take him ‘away’ so i had to hold him while they administered the injection, him looking ever trusting at me as the light went out, absolutely the worse moment in my recent life, so know exactly what your going through, well not exactly i haven’t had your other recent trauma for which you have my continued respect.

takisawa2

Feel for you mate. I hugged & kissed my 16yr old Westie Cross as he slipped away at the vets a few years ago. Posting on here helped & if theres one subject that binds this whole place together its the passing of a loyal hound. Sweet dreams hound of Bullheart.

spacemonkey

Posting on here helped & if theres one subject that binds this whole place together its the passing of a loyal hound.

Unfortunately not. IIRC Chipps posted here (a year or two ago) re his hound’s passing and received a few bang-out-of-order comments. Others have experienced the same.

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to lose my best canine mate tomorrow…’ is closed to new replies.