Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I'm going to go the the roman lakes tomorrow in marple…..
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

On the website its got a route book for a quid! http://www.romanlakes.co.uk/mountain_bikingpage.htm

Anybody been there/got this book/have any advice?
    Going with a mate who's not done much biking and fitness isn't that great. Any tips or info? Cheers

barca
    Free Member

It's great for beginners, an hour or two if you want to cane it or as a start or finish to longer Peak rides. Think of it as a compact introduction to the type of riding available in the neighbouring Peak District.
    Climb up to Mellor Cross and then it's virtually downhill all the way to Strines station and the climbing up to Mellor Cross is fun in it's own right. You're only allowed to unclip to get through the wall at the top of the golf course though.
    Enjoy yourselves.

pitduck
    Free Member

i got shouted at for riding up to that wall 🙄 bloody gloffers

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

As above really, generally used as part of a longer route by local riders but the descent from the Fox (pub) is one of my favourites (as is the one past the scout camp and the one from the Mellor Cross). Some cheeky singletrack around the perimeter of the scout camp too, including a big bombhole – I only know it cos they used to have cross and mountain bike races there back in the day… honest! 😆

nbt

ANother local here, I also agree that the descent from the fox is one of the best, the descent past the scout camp though is rather waterlogged so can be muddy – but still good fun. The book is a pretty good intro to the local trails, it does help to have a proper OS map to go with it as from sepaking to friends who've followed the directionsm it's easy to miss the odd turning here and there if you don;t kow the area

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

You should call in and see me as you are bound to come past my house! I've just started to bake a date and pecan cake and I need some help with eating it!

Go straight down from Mellor cross, avoid the zigzags unless you are very very confident as they are terrible at the moment instead take the left track (quite narrow) and I live in the first house on the left. 07799416722 if you are unsure!

Waiting for a delivery today so I'm going to be very bored!

nbt

Yes the zig zags are bloody awful at the moment aren't they, it's like riding on marbles. I reckon that early next year it'll be rebuilt again. Best to try and get in with the horseriders / council as early as possible to make sure it's done properly this time rather than with 40mm hardcore and no finings…

higgo
    Free Member

Yes the zig zags are bloody awful at the moment aren't they, it's like riding on marbles.

Bloody awful in a 'can't brake, can't steer' fun if you survive kind of way!

I've got a good compact route from Roman Lakes if the OP wants it as either .trl or .gpx – it sort of criss-crosses the area making the most of what's there. Alternatively (as others have said) you can launch out to Rowarth, Hayfield and beyond but with an unfit newbie, I'd advise against.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Just about to leave now. I'm not really much of a map reader so just going to hope these directions arent that bad! I'll have a look out for your house mate and that cake! cheers.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ended doing a bit of a mish mash. Mostly just going up a bit of the mellor route then coming back down it. Some of the decents are top! the loose rocks are dangerous though!! My mate couldn't manage much so I'm gonna go back at the weekend with my proper riding group and do a longer one. The book is fine for directions!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to go the the roman lakes tomorrow in marple…..’ is closed to new replies.