Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • I'm going to ALDI tonight, what should I buy?
  • colournoise

Flapjacks have recently switched brands. Were much better before IMHO.

Anyway, fresh meat and veg, random impulse buys from that week’s specials, knock-off Lucozade Sport, cured meats, cheese.

Rich
    Free Member

Oh yes, the extra mature cheddar is my favourite cheese ever, and only £1.89 for 350g!

Neil-F
    Free Member

We do half our shopping at Aldi.
    I’d recommend as a start….
    Any of their cereal, especially the crunchy nut cornflake copy.
    Breakfasty type bars.
    Noodles and Pasta
    Tinned stuff, especially plum tomatoes.
    Cheapo plain chocolate bars at 30p.
    Sweet peppers.
    Goats cheese and spinach pizza.
    The big bags of dry roasted peanuts.
    Chutneys, especially the hot chilli beetroot one.
    I reckon i save about £20 a week in Aldi, compared to what I used to spend in Tesco. Plus there’s usually some decent tools/man stuff to look at. 😀

ell_tell
    Free Member

Flapjacks have recently switched brands. Were much better before IMHO.

Ditto. Used to be addicted to the plain fruit ones – packed full they were – but the newer ones are a bit meh.

The gnocchi is pretty cheap and tastes okay. Bog roll fine and free range eggs seem cheaper than in other supermarkets at 99p for 1/2 dozen

Andy-W
    Free Member

£9.99 Gin !

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Aldi museli is the dog’s todge.

Try Lidl’s, it blows the Aldi one away. Luxury fruit and nut muesli. Special trips to Lidl just for bags of the stuff.

chakaping
    Free Member

Random tools that you might one day need, but you can’t quite imagine how at the moment. They’re just too reasonably priced to ignore.

AlexSimon

chakaping – Member

Random tools that you might one day need, but you can’t quite imagine how at the moment. They’re just too reasonably priced to ignore.
    Some of those have come in dead handy though – I got a belt sander for 9.99 once and didn’t use it for a while, but now it’s been put to good use sanding my workshop floor – it’s as good as any others I’ve used.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a soldering iron, a Dremel-alike tool and a fabric stapler all unopened in the garage.

I know they’ll be just what I need for some job in the future.

AlexSimon

I missed out on the temp-controlled soldering iron – I could have really done with one for a couple of jobs I’ve been putting off.

Karl33to
    Free Member

You’ve inspired me – I just popped to Aldi for the first time as I only needed a few bits, quite impressed with two big bag fulls for £16, already started on the spicy Chirizo and will be hitting the Toro later, all good so far.

But … I seriously need to work on my bagging skills 😆 what’s the secret?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Secret is to put your stuff back n the trolley and use the bagging shelf to do it … Thats what makes the check out queues travel quick.

Karl33to
    Free Member

So, if you only use a basket, your basically screwed.

boxelder

Jennings beers at 99p pint bottle
    🙂

Northwind

Mmm, appetising goatse cake!

dknwhy

Trick is to line your trolley with 2 ikea bags after loading the conveyor and then a fast load back into the trolley. One big double shoulder man lift at the other end and it’s job done.

dannyh
    Free Member

Dickies thermal socks tomorrow. Cheap and really quite spookily impressive at keeping feet warm, even when damp (not soaked, don’t get your hopes up!)

I’ll be in for four pairs at some point.

ourmaninthenorth

Have only ever used Aldi for the odd offer on bike/tools/camping/garden stuff. By the sound of things up there^^^ that won’t change….

dannyh
    Free Member

I got a couple of pairs of the thermal socks today. I also took a punt on the workwear soft shell jacket, I think it may be far too hot for riding in, but for £18 it will always do as a general item of clothing.

I can heartily recommend their curry sauces (with the dry spice mix on top).

I love the checkout. No faffing, just lob it all back in the trolley, then bag it in your own time on the shelf at the side. Less pressure if you want to take your time, less being held up by selfish tossers if you want to get on with it. A far better way of doing things IMO. I don’t see supermarket shopping as a ‘retail experience’ I just want to be in and out in the shortest possible time.

Supermarkets used to be like this about thirty years ago if memory serves. Then the whole American obsession with the ‘customer experience’ happened and ballsed it all up.

prawny

I went for wine last night, picked up a new soft shell for £13, sweet.

The zip on my 2 year old one only died last week, handy they had a few in.

Got wine too though obviously.

boxelder

Innis and Gunn oak aged scottish beer……………

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

This belogs in the “odd facts ” thread but..

2 of the 3 richest men in Germany are Karl and Theo Albrecht. They inherited the deli set up by their mother in 1913 and later renamed it it to Aldi—short for Albrecht-Diskount. They grew this into one of the most succcessfull supermarkets in germany, but fell out in 1960 over whether they should sell cigarettes. They fell out so miuch that they split the company into 2 parts – Aldi North and Aldo South. One brother took all stores in the north, the other the south. South doesn’t sell smokes. They continue to have a sound working relationship and tend ted to to agre who would expand into which country when they went international in the 70s. The UK is Aldi south, so no cheap smokes for us.
    Another pointless ramble.

EDIT – completing the triumverate of richness in Germany is Dieter Schwarz -owner of Lidl

brokenbanjo

Went for macaroni the other week and none in the Kendal store. The Choceur chocolate there is brilliant, it tastes like the premium stuff you get elsewhere for two kidneys and a spleen.

funkrodent

If you can find them, I heartily recommend the venison meatballs. Me and Mrs Rodent have decided to start using them for the weekly after one too many enormous bills from Sainsbury’s. This thread is therefore well timed and great.

Keep ’em coming 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

Got an £8 digital caliper today, for manly measuring activities.

Stoner
    Free Member

for manly measuring activities.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-9th-february/product-detail/ps/p/digital-caliper/

Measuring area: 0-150mm

caliper is too small for manly measuring 🙁

pictonroad

So that’s why in Scotland they have a big basket of mixed cheap fags. Was a tad disturbing when I saw that.

Or was that Lidl?

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to ALDI tonight, what should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.