Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • I'm going to ALDI tonight, what should I buy?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

As its my turn for the kids gym run I’ll be being sent to ALDI for dishwasher tablets and washing powder. Any other randomness that can accompany my “cheap” shop?

Doh1Nut

50 Watt adjustable thermostatic Soldering Iron – £8.99

I didnt need on either

martinhutch

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-6th-february/product-detail/ps/p/sewing-kit-in-a-tin/

TBH, went into my new Aldi the other day and was utterly uninspired by anything they had to offer. Even the food wasn’t as much of a bargain as they like to portray.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigblackshed

Yes, do the rest of your shopping there and save some money.

HTH. 😉

GrahamS

Not the Crane cycling longs – they are hideous.

They did have some commuting trousers that looked okay. And some ski thermals for a fiver.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aberdeen Angus fillet steaks, really good steak, as good as a butchers steak IMO. Their red pesto is cracking too.

miketually
    Free Member

I like their chorizo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And mayo, better than hellmans. Not hard, granted.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The mayo has been purchased before and is on the good list.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Cashew nuts, beer, random tools, cured meats, cereal bars, cereal, fruit & Veg, pizza, chilli flavour peanuts, accondiments etc

All those things are as good if not better than the known brands (tools excluded) and much cheaper.

cultsdave
    Free Member

P.s some of the tools are fine others are cheap rubbish. The 1500w SDS drill i got for £40 is frankly superb for the money!

sniff
    Free Member

Killie pies

Garry_Lager

Do buy fresh fruit, veg, meat, banks’ ale, hams and cheese.

Do not buy Aldi monster munch or instant coffee. I’d swerve their stock red wines, as well, although they do get some nice ones in now and again.

No tool that may be employed on your bicycle should ever be bought from Aldi.

ransos
    Free Member

Aberdeen Angus fillet steaks, really good steak, as good as a butchers steak IMO.

Not in my experience. They’re as good as the premium ranges from other supermarkets, and are cheaper.

As to what to buy: booze. I’ve never had a bad bottle of wine from there costing £5 or more. Plus the Toro Loco red is less than £4 and surprisingly nice.

Klunk
    Free Member

bags of toffees mmmmmmm

cliffyc
    Free Member

You need to be aware of the unique (asfaik) “60-Day Guarantee”,you would expect 12 months on almost everything you buy,but Aldi do only 6o day gtee on their non foods (Electricals have 12 months I was told).Ok if you’re buying a cheep pack of nails or a simple hammer etc.I took back a Footpump bust after 5 months and was told “out of guarantee” Hmmm.so buy with caution.The food and general homestuff seems ok (it’s nearly all “clones”, Titan bars (Mars)*.Enjoy your shop!. *Imho nicer than Mars,but smaller size carry them on rides.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i like the williams brewery stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

89p :

z1ppy

miketually – Member
    I like their chorizo.

I prefer Lidl’s (and all of lidl meat products over aldi’s), this also go with their chocloate bar copies. Otherwise aldi dishwasher tab’s, saxon kitchen towel, their pastrami seems fine (25% less than tesco for the same thing), pesto sauce (mozzeralla pesto being the better), passatta and instant noodles for making hugh’s pot noodle (along with the chorizo) & of course the veg, oh and I love there assorted custard creams & Nutri-Grain Cereal Bar copy (apple being better one of the two). Their champion curly fries ain’t bad either…
    Otherwise try stuff and if you don’t like it, don’t buy it again, thats said we have three local stores & they vary quite wildly in quality of veg and stock

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not in my experience. They’re as good as the premium ranges from other supermarkets, and are cheaper.

Hmm, maybe they are inconsistent then, as I’ve only ever had them twice and they were both really good, dark steaks with some really nice marbling too.

Agree with toro loco, a decent drop, and often good deals on real ale too. Their prosecco is decent as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i agree nobeer – but lidl meat usually is even better though.

z1ppy

Ah friends (I don’t drink wine) recommend the Castillo San Lorenzo Rioja, and have been told to buy (for my g/f) the Toro Loco.. trouble in the Rioja is not that cheap. Had some pear cider the other day and it was ok, nothing special but not unpleasant got the apple one to try too..

Klunk
    Free Member

but lidl meat usually is even better though.

lidl meat is very good.

wrightyson
    Free Member

[adds bhajis to the list]

federalski
    Free Member

As many slabs of Ritter Sport as you can squeeze in your trolley.

timbur
    Free Member

Free range chicken for £5.99.
    It’s lovely for the money.

miketually
    Free Member

Do not buy Aldi monster munch or instant coffee.

ftfy

MrWoppit
    Free Member

This selling at a ridiculous <£4 and tastes like a wine you’d expect to cost ten times as much.

Trust me, your mouth will love you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Forgot about the free range chicken too! Usually try and get a big un, about 7.50, roast it with a nice tarragon sauce, have the breasts for tea (feeds 3 of us) strip the brown meat and mrs NBITF makes a chicken and ham pie, and then use the carcass to make around 2L of stock, for the freezer.

Bargain.

ransos
    Free Member

This selling at a ridiculous <£4 and tastes like a wine you’d expect to cost ten times as much.

I had a glass last night. To me, it tastes like a £5-£6 wine, but £40? I don’t think so.

tomtomthepipersson

Only been once so am in the discovery stage but thought their Hob Nob-esque biccies were tasty. And their ground coffee… that Toro Loco wine above was decent too. Coleslaw was nice as well – not too mayonnaisey. Their tomatoes were pretty ropey though.

Cougar

I took back a Footpump bust after 5 months and was told “out of guarantee”

Hogwash.

Guarantees are in addition to your statutory rights under the SoGA, not instead of them. They can’t waive your rights, that’s what “statutory” means.

After five months, it’s the retailer’s responsibility to prove that the fault wasn’t inherent at the point of sale, and they’re legally obliged to repair / refund / replace to make good. If what you’re saying is true, they’re breaking the law.

benman
    Free Member

Quite partial to the single origin ground coffee. The strongest Java is pretty good. Obviously not freshly roasted by artisans… but at under £2 a bag I couldn’t care less.

RustySpanner

Bratwurst.
    It’s excellent.

And another vote for the chorizo.

meehaja
    Free Member

Been man +1, that’s my standard brew now!

jekkyl

Frangipanes.

budgierider67

I had a glass last night. To me, it tastes like a £5-£6 wine, but £40? I don’t think so.

It definitely benefits from breathing for a while. A good hour if you can wait that long. After that it is smoooooth and very quaffable.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It definitely benefits from breathing for a while.

Being as it’s a red wine, like…

Longarmedmonkey

2 liters of cola – 17p

AdamW
    Free Member

oo – the gooseberry fools (39p each) are lovely

I do my main shop at Aldi now. Saving about £25/week and the quality isn’t too bad, especially if you make from scratch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘I'm going to ALDI tonight, what should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.