Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • I'm getting two new (to me) dogs tomorrow!
  • Karinofnine

After Missy died I thought I wouldn’t get another dog for a few years but it’s been just awful without canine company soooo, I am picking up Teddy and Dot tomorrow: two retired greyhounds. Teddy is a big, calm boy and Dot is a crazy little girl. Have got a dogwalker on standby for work days and very much looking forward to reinstating my walks. Apart from riding bikes there is nothing, and I mean nothing, better than being out in the countryside with your dog(s).

Will try to post pictures but I am hopeless at getting Flickr to work with this forum.

LeeW

Awesome news, I love Greyhounds. Are they ex racers?

cinnamon_girl

Wonderful news Karin, I knew it wouldn’t take long! When I worked in the boarding kennels, there were 2 greyhounds I had to exercise and they were so lovely – wanted to take them home with me. 🙂

Get some pics sorted please.

Thought you were in Scotland just now?

Karinofnine

Hi Elaine, yes I went to Scotland, first holiday for 15 years without a dog – HORRIBLE – so I came home to sort out the adoption. No, that’s not fair on Scotland, Glentress Forest was amazing, really enjoyed my riding. I was going to return via Machynlleth, and a visit to you, but for obvious reasons Mach was out, and I just wanted to get back and get on with the adoption process while I’m still on annual leave and have time to acclimatise them to my routine and the dog walker.

Will take some pics tomorrow.

LeeW, yes ex-racers. Teddy has been in kennels for some time because he is a big dog which put people off. He is a big, calm boy. Dot has been passed over because previous adopters thought she would be picked quickly, which became self-defeating. She is SO endearing and, like Tigger, her “head is made of rubber, and [her] legs are made of springs”.

_tom_
    Free Member

Great news 🙂 we lost our dog Freddie the other day and I’m already missing having a dog around, it’s just not right!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

This thread is full of **WIN**

Damn it, I demand pictures tomorrow 😆

It’s been 7 years since we picked up Reece. She’s gone from a quiet, scared, thin and scabby neglected hound, to the center of the family. I think we will always now have a greyhound in the house.

Best get a bigger sofa though. 😆 On a side note, if you ever need any advice, my address is in my profile. Good luck.

Karinofnine

_tom_ I’m so sorry, losing your dog is just so awful. For me, I was ok for two months, buoyed up I think by adrenalin as a result of the trauma (I’m not kidding, losing your dog is really bloody hard), then it suddenly hit me that she wasn’t coming home, wasn’t staying with friends or at the vet, but was actually dead, gone, no more Missy.

I weighed up the cost of food, space, vets, dog walkers blah blah blah and, yes, I’m going to be broke. Do I care? No I do not. Dogs are ace and the ‘value’ they give far far outweighs the cost.

willard

Kof9,

Good on ya! Yes they are expensive, but dogs are ace.

Anyway, you know the rules… No dog threads without photos. Get snapping and posting.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m doing ok, my Mum really isn’t though and she was always his favourite. It was for the best though as he was suffering. Had an enlarged heart and was given til the end of summer on loads of meds. He had 3 seizures on Wednesday and didn’t really seem to know what was going on after the first one, don’t think he knew who we were. Parents have said no more dogs at the minute as losing them is awful and nobody is around in the day enough now we’re all working.

pudd
    Free Member

That’s ace. Spoil them rotten.

I dread the day when my JRT is no longer here.

I treat every day with him like its his last. He’s lying on his back on the sofa watching the news with me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good for you. A friend jokes Greyhounds are perfect pets, you take them out for a walk/run and then they sleep the rest of the time ! Speed not stamina.

Photos as soon as possible please.

anagallis_arvensis

Two greyhounds. You are going to need at least three full sized sofas if you want one yourself!

Karinofnine

_tom_ putting your dog to sleep is the hardest but best thing you can ever do for your four-legged friend. After the years of love, loyalty and friendship one’s duty is to save them from suffering.

Greyhounds are brilliant pets. They have mastered the art of sleeping and can only be bettered by cats in that department, they are used to being caged and/or kennelled, used to being left, used to being walked by various people. The woman who is going to walk mine at lunchtime is only charging £10 per day – that’s not much, and you could all chip in if you are all working.

Trailofdestruction: love that image. I love how rescue dogs go from “oooh, I can’t believe this is for me” to “yeah, this is MY couch, and you humans are my servants, I DESERVE this”. So brilliant to see a frightened dog turn into a confident dog.

A-A: they have more bed-room here than in the kennels, but I do realise that the Sofas Are Theirs lol

MrGrim

Lurcher owner here. Any excuse to post a pic. Greyhounds are awesome dogs 😀

Happy

Happy

Sad 😥 😀

Drac

Even make a great tune

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDboaDrHGbA[/video]

stratobiker
    Free Member

Congratulations Karin!
    Can’t wait to see the pictures.
    SB

davidjones15
    Free Member

Dogs are ace.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Greyhounds are cool.

petrieboy

Monty the mongrel – pretty sure theres some greyhound/lurcher in the mix as he’s mental fast and spectacularly good at sleeping.

stratobiker
    Free Member

That’s a super portrait petrieboy.

Karinofnine

What a lovely photo!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Ted says ‘Hi!”

[/url]
    Ted_120212001.web by chris1968, on Flickr[/img]

oh and, yes, about that being ‘asleep’ when you’re not looking….
    ‘scuse the rubbish phone pic..

IMG_1117.web by chris1968, on Flickr

Sandwich

New Dogs! Yay, (he’s also a rescue, possibly without a brain).

Dumb Dog Look by Hamster, on Flickr

peaks
    Free Member

MrGrim your photos made me laugh so much, very expressionate dog, can’t mistake the level of how unimpressed she was!! Beautiful dog as well

Fab pictures all round!

There is no mistaking, dogs are the best creatures and I could never be without mine. The world would seem an empty place without mucky paw prints on the floor, hairs in your drinks and a huge welcome even when you’ve only been gone 2 minutes 🙂

CountZero

Will try to post pictures but I am hopeless at getting Flickr to work with this forum.

Use Photobucket, piece of piddle to use. Easy to delete pics from if they’re only on there for one post.

JCL
    Free Member

Good on you Karin. Awesome dogs, hopefully you like rabbit stew because they’ll be bring you a few back when you take them for a walk in the woods 🙂

Love that Lurcher MrGrim.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Does anyone have a happy, dog friendly greyhound? I only ask as all the ones I have come accross have been very shy/nervous/dog aggressive which personally I would find a nightmare.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Haha mcgrim, dogs in baths, love it.

Here’s our Sprocket not loving the bath

And in a happier moment

Been a long day

Good luck Ko9, every dog needs a buddy, please post pics

willard

It’s been 20 hours since Karin posted. No photos of the new arrivals.

Ted and Ralph are waiting…

McHamish
    Free Member

Wish I could get a dog…my wife has allergies so we can’t get anything hairy 🙁

Had an awesome springer when I was growing up.

montylikesbeer

Monty says high there

Dogs are ace, end of

(Crag Quarry last year by the way)

Karinofnine

Meet Dot and Teddy.

I brought them home this morning. Sorry for the delay, they have been exploring their new home and have only just decided to lie down! I’ll try for some better shots in the coming days.

montylikesbeer

top hounds

LeeW

Teddy looks just like my Ishka, but a lot biggerer.

Have fun weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, dogs are ace.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Brilliant – they look like they’ve made themselves at home already 😀 .

JD wishes he had a sofa . . .

anagallis_arvensis

Dot and Teddy have assumed the greyhound positionalready I see!
    To the poster above I have never met an aggressive greyhound. Can be a bit shy though..
    I’m sad today as my lurcher pulled up from a run last night lame 🙁

ssbnreso
    Free Member

have a hug from george!

redthunder
    Free Member

^
    George the Wookie 😯

McHamish
    Free Member

The pic with dog (staffie?) an the torn up pillow could go on dog shaming!

Karinofnine

I bought them a brand new quilt for ‘their’ settee – they rushed in, ignored that and leapt onto my bed. How come? They’ve lived in kennels all their lives, yet know exactly what a bed is 🙂

None of the greyhounds at the kennels were aggressive, but they are trained to chase. They start to lose the urge to chase once they stop racing. However, most breeds of dog will chase things that are running – it’s their instict.

They wear muzzles because they get excited when racing and could possibly nip one another at the end of the race when the hare has disappeared. They wear muzzles in Epping Forest because it is a bye-law that all greyhounds must be muzzled and on a lead – from ages ago when the Forest was owned by hunting kings and queens. It’s not because they are aggressive.

a_a – sorry about your dog, it’s a typical running dog injury. Hope s/he gets well soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘I'm getting two new (to me) dogs tomorrow!’ is closed to new replies.