Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)
  • I'm fuming! CRC service sucks
  • Cougar

Not commented on this so far but I've been reading with interest.

If I were in CRC's postition, I'd probably have given the OP the benefit of the doubt for goodwill and the sake of four quid. However, with an opening gambit of "I've just bought something, it doesn't work so I demand you send me a replacement, and no I'm not sending the old one back" I'm hardly surprised that they told the OP to roll it tightly and grease it lightly.

I've worked in and around Customer Services and Tech Support for a very long time, and I can tell you categorically that you get considerably better service for being nice.

Case in point, I once worked for a company that never, ever gave away anything if it could help it, especially refunds. One guy wrote in about a broken joystick, his letter was absolutely hilarious, had both departments in stitches. We ended up sending him an upgraded model for free, that -never- happened at that company.

Cougar

(duplicate post deleted)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I never buy from shops, online or otherwise. I handcraft my grips from the skins of adders that have been run over when riding. They might not be fit for purpose come to think of it. But boy do I make them fit.

Cougar

Do you grease the bars with snake oil first?

ads-b
    Free Member

Well to drag this out even further. Just been down to Condor and bought some bar tape for exactly the same amount (including bar plugs, end tape etc.).

Asked if i tried to fit it and it wasnt long enough can I take it back, 'of course' was the reply.

Just got back to the desk and measured one against the other. The Condor one is much longer.

p.s. at no point did I 'demand' a new bar tape and not send the other one back, I just 'asked' if they would as it made more sense. At the least i was expecting to be able to send it back and get a refund. In anyway, they refunded me and I still didnt send it back, so I got more than I wanted.

CRC have sucumb to sense. I'm midly satisfied. We all got some entertainment. End of thread??

argyle
    Free Member

to be on crc boys side here he probably doesn't have the authority to make decisions as to whether or not you can just have a refund without sending back. everywhere has rules and procedures in place

scottidog
    Free Member

Honestly, get over it?

MS
    Free Member

Still think CRC were correct. Technically the bar tape was not faulty it was more it just didn't suit your bars (regardless of if they were standard). However I think you should have worded your email better, as in just stated that the bar tape is X cm where as my old tape is Y cm long. Then they would have realised that the tape was probably a bit short.

For all they know you ripped the tape or something and are just wanting a new one! They have every right to query it. If you walked into the LBS they wouldn't give you a new set of tape without having the old one back proving to them the problem. Just like any refund, in any shop!

Glad its sorted now though! Lets try be polite in emails, the person at CRC is just doing a job at the end of the day and I am sure he gets heaps of emails like that everyday!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Still think CRC were correct. Technically the bar tape was not faulty it was more it just didn't suit your bars (regardless of if they were standard).

If an item is designed for a job it should do that job. Its not rocket science, the stuff does not fit STANDARD bars, therefore it is not fit for purpose! If you brought gloves with 1 finger missing, shoes that said size 10 but were more like a 12, pedals which were so small they were useless etc etc etc you would be hacked off. If it says what it does it should do it ,and it is not unreasonable to expect bar tape to cover standard bars! Fine if they were some weird design, oversize or custom made but we are talking standard bars here. Imagine Grips for a mountain bike that were a lose fit….. that be ok? There is no excuse in this day of age for shops to sell goods that they have not tested, not used and don’t do what they should! If CRC or any shop buys cr@p from some cheap manufacturer they have to be responsible for those goods and ensure they do what it says on the tin.

tron
    Free Member

Is this going to end up like the stupid headset question thread?

easyrider
    Free Member

Like I said – road bar tape is often too small
    Cinelli tape is a good length.
    CRC are still w@@nkers though.
    Rock on the LBS and wiggle.

uplink
    Free Member

Still think CRC were correct. Technically the bar tape was not faulty it was more it just didn't suit your bars (regardless of if they were standard).

Of course they're not correct,
    If you bought a set of 'Mountain bike' skewers & they were an inch short – would that be OK? as they're technically working OK just a bit useless

easyrider
    Free Member

Or how about a 18'' frame that was actually 14'' .
    s awright guv theyre all like that – it pedals dunnit?

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

Many years ago I bought a sausage dog for my two young nephews.

I as well as my nephews was shocked to discover It did not taste anything like sausage and promtly returned it to the shop for a full refund.

Will this thread ever end ?

If only the bar tape was this long and drawn out.

donsimon
    Free Member

I would argue that a pair of size 12 shoes are fit for purpose, just not your purpose if your feet are a size 10.
    The same as the 14", if it works it isfit for purpose, just not yours.
    Glove without the finger is not the same, and therefore not fit for purpose.
    Therefore the tape is fit for purpose.
    If it didn't have adhesive and would grip the bars- not fit for purpose.

I would also agree with CRC, OP wanted money back without returning the "faulty" goods. How is the supplier supposed to know the goods are "faulty" without seeing them? For all they you OP was pulling a fast one.

I imagine that CRC gave in not due to succumbing to sense, more likely they wanted to put an end to this thread.

donsimon
    Free Member

I would argue that a pair of size 12 shoes are fit for purpose, just not your purpose if your feet are a size 10.
    The same as the 14", if it works it isfit for purpose, just not yours.
    Glove without the finger is not the same, and therefore not fit for purpose.
    Therefore the tape is fit for purpose.
    If it didn't have adhesive and would grip the bars- not fit for purpose.

I would also agree with CRC, OP wanted money back without returning the "faulty" goods. How is the supplier supposed to know the goods are "faulty" without seeing them? For all they you OP was pulling a fast one.

I imagine that CRC gave in not due to succumbing to sense, more likely they wanted to put an end to this thread.

tron
    Free Member

Enough with the ropey analogies already! Bar tape is an item which is pretty much universal – it should fit any handlebars that can be considered normal.

It's more akin to buying a universal car seat cover, then finding out it won't fit the seats of a Ford Mondeo.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about a chain which is too short for a std setup Don (no lengths are put up on websites IME) – its works sure but its too short for most people unless say you had a Fixie/SS. I'd be miffed if I got a chain for my 9×3 and it was too short – I bet you'd be annoyed if you were a roadie and the bar tape was way too short 🙄

Blimey people do an 'alf take shome shit£ in here 😯 – trolling seems to be a past time 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Chain I could probably agree with, bar tape no! And yes mucho crap spoken here. 😉

easyrider
    Free Member

How much too short was the bar tape and what width were the bars?
    If the bars were 46cm then perhaps CRC have a point.
    If the tape was only a bit too short.

Cougar

I would argue that a pair of size 12 shoes are fit for purpose, just not your purpose

It doesn't work like that. If you'd bought a pair of size 12 shoes after telling them you wanted them to plug a leaky drainpipe and the sales guy insisting they'll do, and they didn't work, they're legally not fit for purpose.

donsimon
    Free Member

It doesn't work like that. If you'd bought a pair of size 12 shoes after telling them you wanted them to plug a leaky drainpipe and the sales guy insisting they'll do, and they didn't work, they're legally not fit for purpose.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ❓

ThePilot
    Free Member

The 'get over it' and 'what a long drawn-out thread' crowd should simply stop reading.
    I'm totally with ads-b on this one.
    I had a similar experience with another company. Told 'em I'd never shop with them again, never have.

adam_h
    Free Member

If you order a pair of trousers and receive 3/4 lengths you would be a bit upset right ?

Maybe, but you'd hold them up and proabably notice that they where a tad shorter than normal trousers. So you'd just return them for the correct trousers. Rather then pulling all the labels off them, putting them on, then realising they where 3/4 length. 😉

"I as well as my nephews was shocked to discover It did not taste anything like sausage and promtly returned it to the shop for a full refund."

I bought a magazine called "Men Only". Imagine my surprise when I looked at the pictures inside.

donsimon
    Free Member

The 'get over it' and 'what a long drawn-out thread' crowd should simply stop reading.

Same for the ads-b groupies too, no? ja ja!

MS
    Free Member

Lets keep this going!

don simon – agree with you

Im sorry if you buy size ten shoes from an internet retailler and they feel more liek a 12 then thats your own fault. So it's not valid. The glove with a finger missing, that item is faulty, it has a finger missing!

I;m sure someone stated earlier that it doesn't actually say road bars on the webpage? Then really CRC have a valid point. If you put it on a set of Standard flat bars (no idea who does this!) it would work…

Anyway, I still say CRC were correct, if th OP has worded his initial email a bit better, askign them to look into it and he would return it, then problem would have been solved without this thread!

But wheres the fun in that!!!

Padowan
    Free Member

Personally, when I wrap bars, I do a "dry run" without removing the adhesive cover strip so that I can work out the most appropriate wrap for the bars (in particular around the hoods), assuming that I find a wrap route and over lap that works, then I remove the backing and apply the tape.

If the OP had done that, then it would have been clear it was too short, and could effectively be returned as unused.

Anyway, bit late for hindsight, but I also think that the OP side of the e-mail thread degraded into a frustrated rant which certainly wouldn't make we want to rush to go out of my way to help if I was the recipient.

kamina
    Free Member

to be on crc boys side here he probably doesn't have the authority to make decisions as to whether or not you can just have a refund without sending back. everywhere has rules and procedures in place

Well either you give the customer service guy some sensible guidelines and authority, or then you accept that they will be bothering the person who actually has the authority with practically every case.

Not really complicated IMO.

But I do agree, I would not ask for or expect a refund without sending something back. I would expect to have to send it back and also be refunded for postage. They should be the ones suggesting not to send it back if they feel that way.

stumpy01

I'm quite good at killing threads…..(prays)….

trail_rat
    Free Member

define "standard bar" – remember todays bars on most bikes are wider than the bars of yore – when narrower was "better"

also remember that your bars are thicker on the tops generally(ok it depends) if they are 31.8

remember bars with flat tops dont need as much tape

so a"standard" bar doesnt exist

so perhaps they do need to update their site – perhaps you need to read comments related to the subject

and perhaps a little thought into how customer service works – reading your emails its the email equivalent of bursting into a shop and saying "replace this now or ill burn your shop down"- oh no sorry that was luke 😀

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

WE seem to have ignored the fact that it a very poor quality bar tape anyway.

buy cheap buy twice

martyc
    Free Member

Yep as with steve austin
    measure twice – fit once. done.

GavinT
    Free Member

It's all a bit suprising this – I remember buying a 9 speed chain from CRC that WAS a bit short. It stated that on the listing and I bought it because I was fitting it to a trials bike so it was fine.

Pointless arguing about whether the tape is 'faulty' or not. It's only of use to people who don't want to tape all their bar. fixie riders possibly. So it's of some use but needs to state clearly on the listing that it's a bit short and may not fit standard bars. Mark seems to be under the impression that you just need a bit more tape – does he not realise it needs to be a continuous piece?

All my experience with CRC have been great so far but not not impressed reading this.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You were only willing to spend £4 on bar tape?

Deserve everything you get.

Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘I'm fuming! CRC service sucks’ is closed to new replies.