Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I'm either terrible at setting up my chain guide..
  • _tom_
    Free Member

or it's just not working properly. It's an old DMR Speed Guide. Ugly but according to reviews on CRC it works well.. Anyway I'm still getting dropped chains on the inside. I've got it spaced with washers as far away from the seat tube as I can get it with the current bolts and still dropping on bumpier stuff.

So is the chainring too far over to the right or what? Doesn't seem to be much I can do about that other than spacing the bb cups so that the ring is a bit closer to the bb shell, would that help?

Tbh I'm thinking of giving up and just getting an ngear jump stop or going back to 2×9, but wondering what you all think?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

pics please

from both top and side (chainset) i have "experience" with these chain guides.;

GW
    Free Member

bin it. even set-up perfectly they are utter shite at keeping your chain on.

_tom_
    Free Member

1111, camera has ran out of battery at the minute so will have to wait a bit before pics. I thought that perhaps the top cage was too high but I can't move it down much further as it runs out of "slot", I'm using a 32t ring – too small for the DMR perhaps?

GW, what do you suggest instead – would a bashring and n-gear jumpstop be better? Would certainly look nicer, but I dunno how important the tensioner roller is?

GW
    Free Member

what's your budget?

_tom_
    Free Member

tbh as low as possible, currently in my overdraft for about a month til the next student loan comes in :\

Might try a locked-off derailleur as I've read that can work ok on the cheap.

GW
    Free Member

look in the classifieds then I s'pose.

lower guide roller/tensioner is def needed for rough terrain especially if you ever backpedal to switch feet – on stepped switchbacks for example.

_tom_
    Free Member

I was looking into getting a Superstar as I've had some of their other stuff (grips, brakepads) and have been impressed.

monkeychild
    Free Member
    thomthumb
    Free Member

i think the 32T is too small for the dmr. i used the chaincage (just the top bit) and could never get it close enough to the ring to secure the chain. with a 36T it was fine.

you can do some relieving of the plates to get it closer to the ring if needed. (dremel?)

there was a thread about superstar chainguides being good on here the other day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I'm either terrible at setting up my chain guide..’ is closed to new replies.