Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I'm developing a bike routes website
  • Cowman

From a couple of conversations and posts on here I have started developing a simple clean website along the lines of the UK rivers Guidebook for Mountain Bike routes. Limited to the North of England.

Please feel free to have a look, it is only in its outline stage at the moment with some simple routes in, but you should get the idea.

Please do feel free to submit your own routes (that’s the plan for where they all will come from) using the email on the home page. I can use GPX too and put them as a layer on the OS mapping.

Please do provide helpful feedback and improvements, I’m doing this as a hobby just to see if I can. I have taught myself simple bootstrap for it. So it should work well on phones, mobiles and desktops.

Thanks

The website is Brigantes.AT

http://brigantes.at

Brigantes.at

whitestone
    Free Member

Nice and clean.

Might be worth having the routes in a table with time, distance, difficulty as clickable/sortable column headings so a user can sort rides by distance for example. Extra headings such as height gain and season/conditions might be useful as well, the latter becomes useful at this time of year when things start to become a bit boggy 😆

Cowman

Cheers, great suggestions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Limited to the North of England.

Why on earth would you do that?

Also – can’t download GPXs, that would be useful. As would moderated comments on the routes or discussion.

jekkyl

I like it too, very clean and simple. You need to offer the chance to download the gpx for each route. Also, what happens if you want to submit a route that isn’t in the lakes/calderdale/dales or north leeds (!?)

RoterStern
    Free Member

Like the nice clean look but would agree as to why you would limit it to only the north of England.

Edit* Also have you spelt your contact email correctly?

Cowman

Spelling – Knowing me probably not!

The reason I have tried to limit it is to keep the scope down, I may extend it later. Its more of a time thing.

GPX also sounds like a nice idea thanks, Ill look to incorporate that.

jekkyl

why don’t you email the editor of this here magazine to ask about being incorporated as the offical trail wesbsite for this forum? the ‘trail guide’ section above is old and hasn’t been updated for years as I can see.

enmac
    Free Member

It is always good to see new resources for routes. However, have you looked at http://www.mtbtrails.info/Default.aspx, it already does everything you are trying to do. It has more focus on Scotland at the moment but there are trails in the North of England there as well. Don’t want to discourage innovation but why re-invent the wheel.

thepodge
    Free Member

looks ok but aren’t there loads of sites like this?

If you want to bring people in then it needs something more

Cowman

Thanks for the helpful words, as for there being lots of sites like this, or ones that do it better. That’s not really my point here for doing it.

It started of as an idea to keep the routes that me and my mates did, a permanent store of the best ones. We couldnt use dropbox or onedrive how we wanted. The other side is to see if I could.

Once past this point tho it snowballed into something that I thought others might like to use/contribute to.

portlyone
    Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I like that, trailforks and mtbtrails don’t seem to use OS mapping, although I only had a quick look, I like OS mapping although I would prefer to have more of the map area on the screen and scroll down to any details if I need to – is that possible or is it a copyright thing that you can only display a limited amount of mapping? And, this seems really simple to use – can you do the whole of the UK please?

martinhutch

Looks nice. Are you happy with cheeky stuff going in? (Grassington route).

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have some lakeland routes and also some routes in Lancashire if you want.

thenorthwind

A few small comments:
    +1 for downloadable GPS, a must
    Altitude profiles would be nice (as well as the ability to match up with map – i.e. mouseover the profile and it pinpoints the point on the map – though I appreicate technically difficult)
    Put the colour grades on the actual route page itself
    Sometimes grouping by area is frustrating (if I’m looking for a route in a particular place, near the border of two loosely defined areas, I might have to click into two different areas to look) and it’s nice to see them all on one map

yacoby
    Free Member

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I like it, second the GPX download and more in Lancashire please. I like that its Northern…

DrP

I’m working on a routes website for the trails behind the Nationwide, Swindon.
    So far I’m at 23,000 and counting.
    Should be fit for release circa 2019..

DrP

edward2000
    Free Member

Does it say which direction the routes should be rode in? Only had a quick look mind, but it looks useful!

colp

Isn’t .at for Austrian domains?
    You’ll struggle to come up in uk search results.
    Like it though, if you eventually do start to include southern routes, you could just have a link with a pint of shandy to them.

dazh

Are footpaths allowed? The biggest single problem with routes websites is the routes are always BW only. Nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that in many areas the best routes are not there, so people don’t use them.

Strava heatmap and an OS map have always done me.

matt_outandabout

looks ok but aren’t there loads of sites like this?

Isn’t .at for Austrian domains?

I would also say that unless users can add routes, you will be very limited in the number of routes you can publish.

joshvegas
    Free Member

On my phone in portrait the map doesnt show the route in the window, its there but i have to pan and zoom out. By that time its tiny.

Not real interest in the north of England though so I’m oot

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    Looks nice. Are you happy with cheeky stuff going in? (Grassington route).

Would be good if you were willing to host routes which included cheeky bits as a lot of the other sites (the ones I know of) just have the usual offical ones. I used to often use the Bogtrotters for ideas as they sometimes had routes different to the norm, as cheeky bits were often included. Since they updated the website, a lot of those routes have gone.
    Also, like most people (I suspect), I’m a bit lazy when it comes to bothering to submit routes. For me to make the effort you’d need to have a ‘submit a route’ form/template page with everything laid out for me just to enter text and download the gpx. Presumably, it would be better for you as well, as the form/template would be prompting people to enter all the info you want.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The other thing that really stands out to me above anything else is that it doesn’t appear to be a website of MTB routes ‘Limited to the North of England’. It just appears to be a website of MTB routes for ‘places where I(cowman) ride and/or like to go to ride occasionally’. No Lancashire, No North York Moors, No North Peak, WTF were you thinking with ‘North Leeds’????? (other than for purely personal reasons).

Cowman

Thanks again for the suggestions, I have no issues with cheeky routes going on. After all for the routes to finally be designated bridle ways a prolonged use by bikes needs to be demonstrated.

@Junkyard and @martinHutch, please if you have them post them here, or email them to the website. In the first instance Ill sort the editing myself.

As for an upload form, yes that’s a good idea. And gives me the next area of code to work on. Linking Bootstrap forms to a MySQL database.

All the other suggestions I will look at and implement most, they are good thanks.

As for the point about the window being small on a smaller screen, yes I appreciate this, the map centre is set for a full screen. The responsive frame I have written to pack the map api code in then does the shrinking, but cant move the map centre. Sorry. Some of them work well, some need a small move to the right, or left.

Cowman

Thanks, I personally like the North Leeds area. An area that lots can access after work that is under served in any guide book I have ever seen. Thats the main area I put it in. Like you said, the others I don’t particularly ride, so may include them later. (All the ones you have put forward B.A.NANA are great, bar Lancashire – Why would you go there! Ha!)

Trekster
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

what about having two tier 1) the Parks, Lake District, Yorks Dales, Dark Peak, North York Moors. 2) counties, Lancashire, North Yorkshire, Cumbria, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire etc etc.

Cowman

Nice suggestions again, thanks. Ill look into how I can do it and keep the scope manageable.

Thank you for your fair input.

gilesmartin81

Does anyone use http://www.ibikeride.com/ it is a really good website for forums, reviews and routes.

Not wanting to p**s on anyones parade, but thought it would be a good example of this kind of website.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I'm developing a bike routes website’ is closed to new replies.