Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I'm building a shed in a silly place…..retaining wall question
  • walla24
    Free Member

Instead of building my shed in a nice flat corner of the garden I’ve started working on this spot:

Problem is the paving slab walkway needs to be supported or they will collapse into my shed base area. I want to replace the current compacted mound support with something which takes up less space so I have the maximum width to build in.

Maximum difference in height is 50cm.
    I have very little money, tools and knowledge 😀

Is ‘flag on edge’ a good idea?

#

walla24
    Free Member

Or use sleepers?

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d dig the lot out, build a wooden frame and have a bulk concrete supplier fill it up.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/masonry/pouring-concrete/form-and-pour-a-concrete-slab/view-all

wrightyson
    Free Member

3×2 slab on edge is fine. The “stregnth” of its retention will be gained by the strip you dig to concrete the slabs in and then the subsequent haunch you put on the house side. It all wants to be done in one process so that the concrete is one mass.

nickjb
    Free Member

Lift the outside edge of flags. Dig down the oustide 300mm, bit of shuttering and pour some concrete. Not too much to use a mixer and some shovelling. Or Rather than shuttering lay a few concrete blocks, you’ll probably get away with backfilling with mot, then. Doesn’t need to be neat as it’ll all be pretty hidden once the flags are put back and the shed is in.

walla24
    Free Member

nickjb- that’s an excellent idea thank you

wrightyson
    Free Member

Do it right or do it blah blah…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I'm building a shed in a silly place…..retaining wall question’ is closed to new replies.