Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I'm bored talk to me about short travel full sussers
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I am lucky enough to have a few bikes but one that is missing is a light short travel full susser (sort of racy 80-110mm travel)
    I also have a few issues with my back so could consider swapping the running gear off my Cotic Soul onto a new frame and selling my Cotic which doesn’t get used much.
    The Soul is 26 but not closed to buying a 26 although 29 inch is probably favourite.
    Waiting to see what the new 29er Anthem is like but in the meanwhile what would be my other options?
    Considering:
    Anthem
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Scott Spark
    Yeti
    Niner
    Salsa Spearfish
    Any thoughts or recommendations
    Cheers
    Steve

wors

I have just taken delivery of a 2017 Anthem. Only once but it feels spot on.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Is that 27.5?
    Staying away from that as prefer 29 but would use the bits off the Soul to save cash if the right frame became available
    Cheers
    Steve

wors

It is, i think the 2018 Anthems have gone back to 29er though? I had a canyon 29er that got nicked and I replaced it with the anthem. Cant say them Canyon is any slower, although I have only ridden it once. Prefer the rear suspension though!

zilog6128

I’d wait until the 2018s come in then check Paul’s for a bargain Scalpel. Gotta love a lefty 😀

jonnyrockymountain

I like 100mm travel full suss XC machines and had a few over the last few years, anthem, spearfish, Turner czar, currently on a trek superfly fs 9.9sl carbon and it’s the best ever, really light at 22lbs, if I ever upgraded I would go trek top fuel carbon

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks for the replies.
    I’ve had a Trek Superfly in the past but the alloy version but really liked it.
    I sold the frame when I got an Ibis Ripley which was fantastic but unfortunately some lowlife decided they had more right to it than me.
    Bought an Evil The Following with the insurance payout which is also brilliant but more of a trail bike even though it’s only 120mm rear.
    Hence looking at “race” bikes
    There’s a carbon superfly on eBay at the minute so I’ll keep an eye on that too
    Anymore thoughts?
    Cheers
    Steve

stumpy01

Have you seen the recent review of the Kona Hei Hei DL on this website?
    Looks like a great bike, although quite spendy….

bigbloke
    Free Member

Orbea Oiz 29 100mm travel. Carbon. Got one on order myself for general XC duties replacing a hardtail.

transporter13
    Free Member

I bought a base spec camber 29 about 3 weeks ago… Awesome bike for covering miles.
    I must say that Ive nothing to compare it to as it was the first bike I looked at but it just felt “right” as like you, I had decent quality parts to put on anyway.
    Longest ride for a good few years today at 27miles and a total of 300 so far.
    120mm travel though

daern
    Free Member

One omission from your shortlist is the SC Tallboy – I’ve got one and love it. 100mm (110mm on the v3 bike) travel (paired with 120mm from the Fox 32 fork). Fast and racey and very light (if you can pony up for the CC version, at least!)

vondally
    Free Member

Rocky mountain element – honestly a great bike with 120 mm fork

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Good call on the Tallboy and RM-hadn’t thought of them
    Cheers
    Steve

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I had a 26″ medium Anthem X frame built up and I thought it was great. Always seemed more than just 100mm. The frame is sitting, unloved and ignored in my garage attic. Is it the kind of thing you’d be interested in?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Love my Rocky Element for what it’s good at which is XC, a 120mm fork would probably help a lot though.

stevego
    Free Member

I’ve got a high end scalpel, lovely bike. Service intervals on the lefty are relatively frequent though. Lefty is a great fork though, would happily put one on any new build I did.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a carbon RM element with 120mm SIDs and it’s very capable, great for technical XC riding/racing.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Kona Hei Hei. Its high on my list. Along with the Cotic Flare Max.

Saccades
    Free Member

Merida 96.

LeeW

I have a RM Instinct – not what you’re looking for as it’s 140/130mm travel, but, like you I’m looking for a shorter travel XC bike and will probably go for another Rocky Mountain and buy an Element. Not the greatest value as a bike package when buying new but they are real rippers.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks for all of the replies. All good options.
    @TroutWrestler-too small I’m afraid. Definitely need a large. I’ve had a26 Anthem Advanced in the past and sort of regret selling it when I went onto 29ers. One of my mates still has it and uses it regularly.
    Cheers
    Steve

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Just a quick update and thanks for all the replies.
    Ended up buying a 29er Anthem second hand.
    Full 11 speed XTR including brakes.
    Kashima front and rear and only negative really is it has a 100mm fork.
    Apparently there is a spacer in mine so I’m having that removed to make it 110mm.
    I’ve read that they ride nicely (if not better) with longer forks and 120mm regularly quoted.
    Weighed 24lb when I got it but swapped Carbon seatpost for a Reverb and narrow flat bars/long stem swapped for 750/50 combo so it’ll be a bit heavier now.
    Tyres are “semi slick” Bontrager XR2 and will be swapped for something a bit more meaty before the weekend..

Not looking to make it extreme just improving its capability if possible.
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I'm bored talk to me about short travel full sussers’ is closed to new replies.