• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by will.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I'm being paid to cycle to work
  • peterfile
    Free Member

After asking you lot for some advice last week about car allowances/company cars, I did lots of research and geeky speadsheets working out the true cost on my take home pay etc.

The stumbling block for me is that I will be a new driver, but I have to keep the car for 3 years – so whilst a Golf might be suitable for me as a new driver, I couldn’t help but feel I’d be wishing I’d taken the BMW after a year. I don’t actually need a car for work at all, it’s just a perk.

So I’ve decided to take the car allowance instead for the moment.

However, after passing on this info to the HR department of my new employer, I said that I would probably cycle to work as much as possible since it’s only 10 miles and has a proper cycle path the whole way with some scenic stuff along the route.

I was then told that the company will pay my mileage from home to work even if I cycle! That’s awesome! What an incentive to get on the bike. It’s not a huge amount, and it will be taxable, but when you add it up over the year it will easily buy me a new bike or pay for a holiday.

Do other employers do this? It’s probably the best corporate incentive I’ve ever seen to get people to cycle to work. I know I’d still get the same mileage claim if I was in the car, but that’s to cover fuel, wear, maintenance and depreciation etc – but the running costs of my bikes is practically nil (other than my own desire to buy new shiny stuff whenever I can). So it’s just money in the bank for every mile I cycle. 🙂

benslow
    Free Member

Not here.

Managed to get a shower installed after 3 years hassling.

Have to keep bike in office as no allowance made in grounds.

And this in a company where 3 people drive in and 20 cycle (out of 50).

Who do you work for ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

is your new job with a large road sign based red and blue oil company …. if so i need to apply for a new job ….

ive heard similar stories from others working for them . as well as fresh towels being suppled for showering when you get to the office ….

joao3v16
    Free Member

You get mileage allowance just for coming to work?

Damn.

peterfile
    Free Member

is your new job with a large road sign based red and blue oil company …. if so i need to apply for a new job ….

ive heard similar stories from others working for them . as well as fresh towels being suppled for showering when you get to the office ….

It’s not the company you are thinking of, but it’s headquartered in a country where green incentives are a key agenda item.

There are fresh towels and good showers too though 🙂

GrahamS

it will be taxable, but when you add it up over the year it will easily buy me a new bike

Buy the new bike through the Bike To Work scheme and you can avoid the tax too 😀

druidh
    Free Member

IIRC, you can get up to 20p a mile for business mileage tax free. Anything over that has to be declared on your tax return.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I feel sad (orange and blue chemicals company)

jonba
    Free Member

Name them, do they need Chemists the North East?

molgrips
    Free Member

so whilst a Golf might be suitable for me as a new driver, I couldn’t help but feel I’d be wishing I’d taken the BMW after a year

Daft. Golfs are not beginner’s cars, there’s no such thing.

Otherwise, I agree with your post 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

IIRC, you can get up to 20p a mile for business mileage tax free. Anything over that has to be declared on your tax return.

Is home to place of work classed as “business” mileage though by HMRC? I was under the impression that it wasn’t and is therefore taxable?

Would be even better if it was tax free though!

scruff
    Free Member

Bike locked to a drainpipe.
    Get changed in the toilet.
    Had to steal a locker.

Welcome to the NHS.

peterfile
    Free Member

Name them, do they need Chemists the North East?

Not really comfortable naming them on here to be honest.

No need for chemists though 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Name them, do they need Chemists the North East? “

experianced and oilfield – yes

inexperianced and non oilfield – apparently not … my mates mrs is back at uni doing a masters conversion from general chemistry to oilfield chemistry.

where you gonna be based out of peterfile ? ps is it a norwegian company then ?

IHN

Is home to place of work classed as “business” mileage though by HMRC? I was under the impression that it wasn’t and is therefore taxable?

No it’s not. So you’re right, it is.

kcal

.. I’m thinking poss. Danish .. ?

DezB
    Free Member

I pay myself. By saving petrol. 🙂

edd

We are paid £0.10 per mile that we cycle to work. This is a benefit so is taxable. So far this calendar year I’ve earned £26.25 (before tax). 🙂

will
    Free Member

Awesome! You’re job sounds quality. If you extend your commute do you get extra money?

What a training incentive 😆

“Bit skint this month, better do a 100miler” 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I'm being paid to cycle to work’ is closed to new replies.