Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I'm back – Holy Smoke
  • diavel
    Free Member

Its been 7 years I’ve been off the mountain bike, long story but its a mixture of becoming a obsessed roadie and a Daddy to 2 boys all in 7 years. Please go easy on me because the Mountain Bike world has really changed like I couldn’t believe since I sold my old Santa Cruz Blur back in 2004. Anyway a nice 2011 CUBE AMS 130 Pro coming my way soon (fingers crossed) and I’m about to hit the trails again….

1st question – What pedals 🙂 I use to use those crank brother egg-beaters but seems most peeps are running non SPD flat type pedals with sticky soled shoes am I correct ?

Oh I promise not to wear my roadie lycra on the trails…baggy MTB shorts only I presume ? God I’m so out of this I need a Mountain Bike makeover of some sort ha ha ha.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wear/ride whatever works for you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, I’ll be lycra’d up and rocking egg beaters tonight on a rigid singlespeed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

i have the 2011 version of that cube, love it, it rides well.
    wear what works for you, dont worry about what others think.
    i use xt spd pedals on mine (normal ones, not the ‘trail’ ones)
    no issues that ive noticed so far in 13 months.

DickBarton

Wear whatever you have…unless you truly believe there is such a thing as fashion police.

There are still plenty of people who rides clipless…and there are plenty who ride flats…whatever you are comfier with…

As far as I know the rule hasn’t changed with MTBing…it’s still about having fun so do whatever it takes to keep that rule and you’ll be fine!

patriotpro
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    wear/ride whatever works for you.

Except lycra/Cube of course. 😆

scaled
    Free Member

You’ll end up just wearing the lycra after the first episode of getting your baggies caught on the back of your saddle or your shorts are wet through and flapping about all over the place.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

baggies vs lycra and spds vs flats are two never ending debates so +1 for just wear what you prefer.

ads678

Has it really changed that much in the last 8 years? Yeah there’s a few more trail centres and some bikes with bigger wheels but i haven’t notice it change that much???

AdeC
    Free Member

welcome back m8.

Maybe start off with a cheap of flats, move on to spds if you fancy. Its the tyres where the real debate begins.

smiffy

I’d pick up exactly where I left off, if I were you. I’m still riding a ten year old Rock Lobster, with ten year old shoes etc. I still seem to be having fun.

bencooper
    Free Member

Pfft, I don’t own any MTBs newer than 8 years old – ride whatever you enjoy 🙂

watsontony
    Free Member

my bikes 4 years old and i consider it to be new. just enjoy your self. only thing you will notice is a lot more of the all the gear and no idear types out there

bazwadah
    Free Member

I have flat pedals but only because I only have one bike and ride to work (dont want to change shoes). Wearing whats comfortable is more important than looking a certain way. Welcome back from the dark side!;-)

xiphon
    Free Member

My *youngest* MTB is 10 years old….

The special shoes are 5.10 trainers, with ‘stealth rubber’ on the sole.

diavel
    Free Member

Ok, Cyclescheme voucher for a Bag of sand has just arrived but I have to go with my 1st choice which was a brand new 2013 Whyte 901 hard tail….happy with that. Happy f****n days.

nick1962
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

baggies vs lycra and spds vs flats are two never ending debates so +1 for just wear what you prefer.
    But will you wear a helmet?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t ride flats. I ride SPDs from 2007 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

You mean you’ve made your mind up about which bike to buy WITHOUT consulting the STW massive first?
    Looks like you’re on the right track already 🙂

watsontony
    Free Member

But will you wear a helmet?

i need 3 new helmets!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I'm back – Holy Smoke’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts