Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • I'm an idiot. Just spotted a mouse in the kitchen.
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

I don’t think so, but it had crossed my mind it could be something other than a mouse. It sounds quite mousey in the noise it’s making during the night but that is all I’m going on at the moment it must be said!

MSP

Have you considered moving to Australia?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG4YY7RHxDs[/video]

bearnecessities

I’ve gone for the humane option first that mark90 linked to (cheers). Will give these a couples of days..

Wouldn’t be right if I didn’t try humane and dump him/her/all 57 of them somewhere they could survive, or be food 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

When we had mice, we tried to be fair with it –

We bought two humane traps, and two death by death traps.

Both promised the bait included was “irresistible” to the mice.

Guess which one they chose and which one they totally ignored.

bearnecessities

Bloody hell, that didn’t take long. Number 1 (?) shonky shed mouse caught. 🙁 Poor thing, hope any family follow suit quickly – off to pre-decided drop off point in a local field.

bearnecessities

Nice way to guilt me mousey..

Praying?!

GrahamS

To the little baby cheesus

perchypanther
    Free Member

little baby cheesus

ratherbeintobago

Peanut butter is the way forward for bait.

Then use electric traps and put the corpses in the garden rubbish.

Job done.

senorj

I think you should keep him.
    Like the bloke in Escape from Alcatraz .

Vader
    Free Member

We have this problem right now. You want rid of them pronto, peeing and crapping all over the worksurfaces and every thing they can get there evil little hands on.

Get some traps and hit them hard. They will learn pretty quick that the free food means a broken neck once they have seen their buddy come a cropper so you need to move the traps about and use different bait.

Put everything in tubs or jars and keep up on shelves – if there’s no food they will lose interest.

Wipe down surfaces every night to clear crumbs etc away, it’s easy to think you’ve cleaned up the kitchen but you’ll miss something.

If you have a dog or cat don’t leave food out in the bowl.

Once you’ve had your wiring chewed, your plumbing chewed and your ceiling brought down by a flood you’ll wish you’d got medieval on them sooner

porter_jamie

got a rat in the kitchen a while back. bastard was stealing the mini eggs and hiding them under the kitchen cabinets. they were mine! missus worked out he was pinching them one at a time taking them into the kitchen and carrying them all the way round the kitchen under the cabinets and storing them under the cooker.
    got a mate round and we more or less took the kitchen apart to get it – cue much comedy screaming when it ran past my ear and so on. the only person who remained calm was my missus. eventually trapped it and i beat it to death with a 1995 tz250 clip on.

Vader
    Free Member

i beat it to death with a 1995 tz250 clip on

Classy

porter_jamie

quite. much better than a ropey old gixer

bearnecessities

I’m sure mouse-death is inevitable in some scenarios, but hopefully this shows that you can try to be humane first – 20 mins and shed mousey was in there.

In other news – I should say that praying pic wasn’t an opportune photo. It had been in there for about ten minutes when I noticed a cat right over it, trying to get in to the mousey-goodness.

I got rid of kitty and I am not a religious person at all, but it stayed completely locked in that fear-like state, with it’s paws together in a prayer fashion – pretty weird!

Anyhow, it’s happily in the shed gorging on peanut butter now, whilst I try to entice out any family so they can be re-homed together.

Still, that locked ‘prayer pose’ was a really odd thing to witness!

hairyscary

I did feel a little sorry for one of the little buggers I got yesterday with a proper trap as I don’t think it killed it instantly. There was a fair amount of scratching after the initial thud.

Last year I set my traps and after a few days found them empty of bait and not triggered. Whilst refilling them I set one off and trapped my finger…….outsmarted by a mouse 😀

TheDTs
    Free Member

My dad was re-homing a mouse a few years ago.
    Driving along he glanced in the rear view mirror, to see the mouse sat on the back of the seats, between the head rests.
    Nearly caused dad to crash. And instigated a 3 day mouse trap setup in the car.
    He no longer uses humane traps, not sure how it got out of the trap.
    No damage to the car luckily.

jekkyl

top thread, loving the updates bear.

mark90
    Free Member

Quick work bear. You’ll have ’em evicted in no time 🙂

bearnecessities

So far, so good – No 2 waiting for me this morning in the kitchen.

Time to join is outdoorsy cousin.

funkmasterp

You’re missing a trick bear. Mouse taxidermy diorama is the way forward

bearnecessities

To bring this non-bloody episode to a close, now re-homed down the allotment 🙂

Will deploy any the inevitable further critters down there.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Awaits the ‘I’m an idiot – mice eating my pea shoots’ thread 😉

But really – nice work!

mogrim

In other news – I should say that praying pic wasn’t an opportune photo. It had been in there for about ten minutes when I noticed a cat right over it, trying to get in to the mousey-goodness.

Useless cat you’ve got there if it didn’t get Mr. Mouse sooner. (Or maybe not, maybe it’s already eaten 3 or 4 of them and was just coming back for another…)

plyphon
    Free Member

Awaits the “bloody things followed me home – what nerve gas for mice invasion” thread

stevemtb
    Free Member

Had ones in my flat, big block of flats and a big supply of mice. Tried humane traps and caught a few, they were ok until I went away for 10 incredibly hot days and my flatmate never set it free. The sonic deterrents were useless. One in the kitchen, one in the livingroom and one in my bedroom. Mice were seen under every one. Spotted one in a bag of bread directly under it.

I was awful with them, female flatmates were a lot better!

Only way I stopped them was boarding up the holes. Now only dead ones arrive in my house courtesy of the cats, have heard from my tenants though that the flat had them in again, hopefully the holes are now blocked again.

maccruiskeen

Awaits the “bloody things followed me home

Straaavaaaa!

bearnecessities

Well clearly this isn’t over.

I’ve learned two things in the last 24 hours.

1) It’s a piece of piss to catch mice humanely.

2) I am not alone.

funkmasterp

How many is that now?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

You released them on the allotments! Bloody hell you’ll be popular with the other growers. 😆

northernmatt

Had mixed results with humane traps. We had a family of mice living behind the fridge and we tried peanut butter, mars bars, cheerios etc etc. Until we figured they were actually gorging themselves on a pack of hemp seeds that the missus had left open. Popped a few of them in the humane ones and bought a few ACME Spine Snappers and had the whole lot gone in 48hrs.

bearnecessities

You released them on the allotments! Bloody hell you’ll be popular with the other growers.

Trust me, mice are not the issue down an allotment 🙂

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Trust me, mice are not the issue down an allotment

Now you’ve got my interest! Keep talking . . .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sirromj

Has anyone tried making that so-called simple humane trap out of a drink bottle?

The wire I used was a fair bit thicker so bending it was quite difficult to get right. In fact I didn’t get it right at all. Then you need to get the hole in the bottle at exactly the right point where it tips at a slight provaction (I believe mice aren’t exactly weighty creatures). Experimentation helps. The oh-so-simple video doesn’t. Simple my arse.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It’s doubtful you’ll get rid of them…they’re prolific breeders and clearly like the environment that you’ve created for them. You need something on sentry duty.

deejayen
    Free Member

The wire I used was a fair bit thicker so bending it was quite difficult to get right. In fact I didn’t get it right at all.

It reminded me of an aptitude test I took at a nuclear laboratory when I was 16…and I didn’t get the job…

GrahamS

It’s doubtful you’ll get rid of them…

I successfully got rid of ours when we had them just using catch & release combined with removing food sources, blocking holes and adding sonic repellents.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Based on the quantity of peanut butter in best necessities traps I assume they needed 24 hrs without food to enable them to squeeze out.
    Good job as they are annoying destructive little creatures!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘I'm an idiot. Just spotted a mouse in the kitchen.’ is closed to new replies.