Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • I'm an idiot. Just spotted a mouse in the kitchen.
  • bearnecessities

The cute little fella (or one of them) that lived under the shonky shed, eating dropped bird seed. Funnily enough hadn’t seen him for a few days.

Yeah, idiot…

So, live catch traps – any recommendations?

Don’t fancy killing it and would like to get on top of this situation before he gets jiggy with the missus. Edit: His missus that is.

oldnpastit

Was he wearing clogs?

scaredypants

before he gets jiggy with the missus

that would be a hamster, surely ?

tpbiker
    Free Member

as long as humane traps aren’t left at night…mouse scares itself to death in no time atall.

maccruiskeen

that would be a hamster, surely ?

Rat up a Drainpipe?

scaredypants

I’m more sausage up an alley 🙁

Drac

You need one of these.

mattyfez

Remove any potential food source. Like leaving bird seed lying around for a start.
    Trust me, I used to breed mice for my snake…and they breed like… rabbits.

DickBarton

Well don’t make a song and dance about it…

bearnecessities

I’ve stashed the seed, torched the shed, shot the birds and eaten the muesli.

Anything else?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Find out how it got in and block it up.
    (Unless you left the door open of course 😉 )

bearnecessities

God knows how it got in, but the evidence indicates it’s living under the floorboards and scurried off to where the water main comes into kitchen (big gap in floorboards).

Having fun and games googling now – really don’t want to kill the poor sod, but options looking limited 😕

Somehow not very sleepy either now; might bleach the entire downstairs to feel like I’m doing something useful 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Humane traps… My grandad had mice in his attic. He built a humane trap. Every morning he recovered a mouse from the trap in the attic, and released it at the bottom of the garden.

After a few months of this, he put an ink mark on the mouse before releasing it. It was mostly the same mouse each day, and it was apparently not learning not to go into his attic. He got a proper trap after that.

🙂

jimdubleyou

We have a sonic thingie.

They move on once the kids are grown up (about 3 weeks iirc).

Not seen a mouse since we got it.

breadcrumb

[video]https://youtu.be/yC1XNDyxE4c[/video]

I made a slight variation on that style.

Make sure it’s a very tall bucket or add water in the bottom.

cranberry
    Free Member

Don’t fancy killing it and would like to get on top of this situation

That was my thinking at the start. Then the mouse pissed and shat over everything in the kitchen, I cleaned everything, it pisssed and shat….( repeat many times over the course of a couple of weeks )

I did a little dance when I came home to find the Little Nipper trap sprung, and a bloody smear several inches long across the floor where it had tried to get away.

Moral of the story – they are dirty and destructive, get a proper trap.

Pigface
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MWGhn2u52Q[/video]

breadcrumb

That was my thinking at the start.

+1

They will **** your shit up.

Two examples recently.

1- Car won’t start, no bother I’ll get my jump leads. The little bastards had chewed through the insulation on the cables.

2- Riding to work, go to use the drops. Bar tape missing, again mice have eaten it.

I hate to think what I’ll find next.

Proper traps are now set. They may look cute but they are vermin.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Get a cat….

Drac

They may look cute but they are vermin.

crankboy
    Free Member

I am a pseudo pacafist tree hugger and fake vegetarian my wife is the real thing with emoyment experience and qualifications to back it up I wanted non kill traps she insisted 1 they ain’t humaine 2 they don’t work . Get a good kill trap per point of entry set it against the wall if you can find external points of entry plug them with wire wool .Keep kitchen clean and free of food scraps dirty plates etc.
    Good luck

grumpysculler
    Free Member

If you use a live catch trap you need to do two things

– check it very regularly
    – release the mouse effing miles away or it will just come bacross

I used to use them but, after a few starved mice and the pain of driving to release it, I now use good old fashioned spine-breakers. Much better.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Had some in the loft. Used a tin cat humane trap seemed to work very well just made sure to relase them some miles away.

peanut butter for bate

zippykona

Get a proper trap. Your cave man will soon kick in and every morning you will look forward to seeing if you have caught anything.

northerntom
    Free Member

If you think you have one, you have more than one…..

In my old flat we thought we had one, it had a nickname, we thought it was quite amusing etc, not an issue. It shat everywhere and we decided to get a kill trap.

We caught 6 in 6 days. Then nothing for months. Come winter, we caught the odd few, but they were more likely to be visiting to escape the cold.

sheeps

Second to wire wool for filling the entry gaps… Not met a mouse that can chew through that yet!

Sonic thingys seem to be effective (ish) but we need 1/room with brick walls. The live ones the cat brings in can seem to get away fast enough (but that may have something to do with being chased by a fat cat)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wire wool and expanding foam ftw.

I did a boob when fitting the heating pipework for the external boiler and cored a hole then stuck 4 pipes through it looked full so didn’t do owt.

Mice came in. Snap traps were deployed and said hole was wire wool and expanding foamed .

2mice were killed and Mrs t-r is happy again 🙂 -we still don’t use that cupboard though. Little shitter ate the flour bag then crapped all over the cupboard thanks to some bodging previous owner cutting the rear out of all the cupboards to run the water pipe instead of lowering it under the cupboards. Musta saved him about 20quid he was a plumber ffs

jekkyl

yup get a proper trap, your local hardware shop will them, get the cheap ones. I found they all do the same job. best bait I found was peanut butter. Just don’t forget to check the traps before leaving them for months like I did. Came to access under the kitchen units and found two remains of mouse corpses, little pile of fur and bones in the traps.

perchypanther
    Free Member

bearnecessities yesterday……..

What you need is a spear and magic helmet*.

* effective against wabbits. Probably mice as well.

GrahamS

There really is no need to kill them.

We had a lot of success with Tip Traps.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psc9cutzENo[/video]

Find their common paths (usually beside walls and along skirting boards) and put a few traps near them then check the next morning.

As for “scared mice”, if we couldn’t release immediately then we just put the mouse in an old plastic fish tank with some shredded paper, water and food – pretty much as you’d do with a pet mouse or hamster. Seemed perfectly happy in there for a day.

As above, once you get rid of them make sure you seal up any gaps and entrances with wire wool and expanding foam. That seems to keep them out very effectively. Also remove any obvious food sources.

We’ve deployed a few sonic plugs too, which we leave plugged in permanently around the home. Not sure if they are effective or not but I consider them “fair warning” 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Time for a bit of UB40 eh…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS0fXQN6zrI[/video]

core

The only good use for a ‘humane’ box type trap is if you trap mice in it then chuck it in a drum of water and drown them. If you release them, even a fair distance away, they’ll keep coming back. Best to just kill them instantly, drowning isn’t a terribly nice death for them, if effective.

Get little nipper mouse traps, they’re ace, you can set them really finely, takes hardly a mouse paw to set them off, powerful too. Bait with some sort of chocolate bar that contains caramel, twix is my current favourite, the caramel helps stick the bait to the pin on the trap.

I’d also chuck some poison sachets under the floor, but would advise caution on that if you have mice catching cats in the area (though evidence to date would suggest otherwise.

I know I seem pretty bloodthirsty, but not being able to sleep for weeks because of mice in the loft making a noise all night kind of drives the humane approach out of you. However DO NOT under any circumstances use glue traps, they’re horrendous.

GrahamS

If you release them, even a fair distance away, they’ll keep coming back.

Not if you are sensible.

We dropped our prisoners off a couple of miles from the house, away from other buildings, in a nice bit of hedgerow with plenty of cover and natural food sources. As we caught more of the same group we dropped them off at the same place.

And even if they wanted to come back from that distance, they’d have had to swim across the Tyne 😆

lovewookie

We get mice in our kitchen, or rather we did get mice. Started off with humane traps, mostly to identify whether it’s a mouse or a rat. once it was clear it was mice, we had humane traps set up around the kitchen, checked and emptied twice a day if needed. We ended up just relocating them to a nearby field.

They were more of a nuisance than anything, the dog would keep them restricted to the kitchen, so we got a couple of sonic repellers and they seem to keep them out now.

I’ve had rats before, not in this house, but in one of the flats I used to live in. They just need killing, they can’t be relocated as they’ll find their way back.

Field mice are OK, keep things as clean as possible and all foods sealed up and they will lose interest. However, watch your cables. house mice will chew anything, field mice less so, apart from biodiesel filled fuel lines. They like the chip fat smell.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Releasing them miles away from familiar surroundings just about as painful a death as drowning.

Creatures of habit struggle with change and finding food sources in unfamiliar surroundings.

GrahamS

Releasing them miles away from familiar surroundings just about as painful a death as drowning.
    Creatures of habit struggle with change and finding food sources in unfamiliar surroundings.

Bollocks. They are adaptable wee things. It wasn’t their natural habit to eat cornflakes and chocolate before they got into my house. They adapted. And they’ll do the same outside.

And if they don’t, then at least I gave them a chance. The local owl population will still benefit.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I found chocolate to be the best bait.

mark90
    Free Member

Had mice coming into the garage last autumn. Got one of these humane traps and baited it with chocolate and peanut butter.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p60863?mkwid=s3Z3fpJI3_dc&pcrid=142463375177&pkw=&pmt=&product=60863&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqMHABRDVl6_hqKGDyNIBEiQA

Caught 5 or 6 over a couple of weeks and released them all in a field about 3 miles away, after reading some research where they found some mice would return from up to about a mile away.

Not had any sign of any more since but have started setting the trap again now that the weather has gone a bit colder in case they start coming in again.

theflatboy
    Free Member

While we’re on this – not for the first time there is mouse suspicion in my house. However, for the first time this is in the roof cavity above our bedroom, which is under a sloping roof and has no meaningful access.

Difficult to establish how it’s got / getting in there, and no space for accessing to trap. The only entry point of any kind to the space (unless I cut into the ceiling which I may well!) is through the five LED light fitting holes in the ceiling. Any suggestions on what to do are most welcome!

GrahamS

under a sloping roof and has no meaningful access.

Could it be bats? Or squirrels?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘I'm an idiot. Just spotted a mouse in the kitchen.’ is closed to new replies.