Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I'm an eejit – wheel damage query
  • DickBarton

For reasons I'm not going to go into I've managed to drive over my front wheel in my car – quite clearly I wasn't myself as I made a fairly decent job of it. So far my rotor is completely mangled – Hope 183mm floating disc and the axle end of the non-disc side has some surface scratches to it.

When I spin the wheel it appears to spin without any trouble and the rim appears to be straight – but the tyre has a kink in it – looking at it it looks like the bead has popped slightly.

So new rotor is on order and I doubt the axle end scratches will affect the performance of the hub, but what else should I be doing to check the wheel? Spokes all seem tight and straight, rim appears to be damage free.

I'm not understanding how I've managed to drive over the wheel and not bend any spokes – it looks like the car wheel went on the tyre straight to the rotor and then to the tyre again…

Also, axle is a 15mm QR, I'm assuming the end caps just pull off and can be replaced (if necessary) – do they just pull off? How much force is needed? I'll remove the damaged one so I can give it a clean and make sure there is no dirt in side it.
    Cheers.

dmiller
    Free Member

If you do need to take it to wheelcraft can I be there when you tell Al how it happened? 😀

eckinspain
    Free Member

That reminds me, a mate of mine at school was upset one morning because his dad had run over his goldfish.

DickBarton

If I do I'll think of a more 'daring' story!!!

retro83
    Free Member

I'm not understanding how I've managed to drive over the wheel and not bend any spokes – it looks like the car wheel went on the tyre straight to the rotor and then to the tyre again…

weird, maybe you just drove over the tyre and the bodywork/number hit the rotor?

DickBarton

The rotor is now looking like a pringle crisp – it looks like I've driven over it and the spider on the rotor has folded, also the axle end appears to have been ground into the ground so I'm pretty sure I drove right over the hub…

DickBarton

Just got 2 pictures uploaded of the rotor – sitting on my desk – showing the bend…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26900201@N02/sets/72157624271509248/

Three of the bolt holes are cracked and the spider is nicely bent – rotor appears to be 'ok' but the spider is keeping it all shaped…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I'm an eejit – wheel damage query’ is closed to new replies.