Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I'm about to buy a Planet X Kaffenback as a commuter
  • ddmonkey

I do about 180kms a week on a 26″ wheel Inbred with rigid forks and skinny tyres, looking for something a bit faster and lighter but still sturdy and comfy that I can deck out with mudguards, pannier rack etc. The Kaffenback seems like the best value for money that fits the bill, is there anything else I have overlooked?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I don’t think the Kaffenbak and light go together in the same sentence 🙂 they do look great though.

ddmonkey

Everything is relative! Its lighter than what I ride now, its heavier than my carbon road bike. 🙂

ddmonkey

Bump 🙂

marvincooper

I do 100 – 200 miles a week on mine and I think it’s great. Much faster than an MTB with slicks. Not light by any means but who cares? It is sturdy, takes decent sized tyres with proper mudguards and the BB7 brakes are superb.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Does a Kaffenback have horizontal or vertical dropouts?
    I had a Roadrat which had horizontals and it was an utter nightmare to get the back wheel out with a rack and guards fitted. Just a friendy tip. 🙂

toby1

The Genesis Croix and Kenesis tripster are the 2 other likely candidates I’d say. But I really like the look of the Kaffenback too, still using my Pompino SS though, Tull my knees wear out a little more.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I do about 90 miles a week on mine, half of it off road on farm tracks and bridle ways.

It takes everything I throw at it, with full panniers.

It’s not light, but its not bad. I have heavy wheels and draggy tyres to take the punishment, so it feels a bit sluggish, but it rides nicely when I swap to lighter wheels and tyres for purely road rides.

And it does look nice.

It has swap out dropouts so you can ss it if you want. Mine has vertical dropouts and lots of gears for lugging me and gear up the Derbyshire hills.

marvincooper

Vertical dropouts on the new ones (not swap-outs)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘I'm about to buy a Planet X Kaffenback as a commuter’ is closed to new replies.