Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • i'm a student
  • rOcKeTdOg

just been accepted on a 4 year course, so what freebies/discounts can i get with my student card?

p.s. i'm a 'mature' student

Houns

You still working though?

will
    Free Member

cinema discount, ticket is £5.20 now.
    student rail card – best discount
    discount in shops such as topman
    free burger/Mcflurry and McDonald's
    Herpes/Ghonaria/clap often get them for free
    studentbeanz.com – great student offers

Among other stuff which i can't think of

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

yep, still working but i will get a student ID card 🙂

Gooner
    Free Member

what course you doing rocket?
    i have just been accepted by reading uni for a distance learning course so i to am interested in any freebies!

snowslave

Time for you to pay for chips with cheques then.

rOcKeTdOg

foundation biomedical science course then 1 year BSC to follow

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

why as a student should you get 10% off at topman when all you do is grow beards and smell of piss

where as me, a soldier/h.m. forces get fu*k all im lucky to get 10% at my LBS.

thats why my GF buys my cloths in topman and buys my burger in McD's

Kahurangi

Your university might have a Snap Fax – little magnetic booklet with local shops offering discounts.

Studentbeanz – a mate took us out (1 student, 2 non) and we got the entire meal at Bella Italia half price. Which was nice. Other eateries are available.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just ask everywhere if they do a stoodent discount. You will be amazed.

tomzo
    Free Member

Thought soldiers got free rail travel?

tomzo
    Free Member

tomzo
    Free Member

deft
    Free Member

You need to blag more! Burger King do forces discount

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Burger king only do a discount in there MOTO sevices takes it down to high street price

as for travel we get a rail card for £15 for a year which gets us 10%ish off tickets.

dont get me wrong we do get discount but on useless crap! i think its wrong as the police and other services get much much more bonus's and also get paid loads more!!

DickBarton

But oneoneoneone, you get to travel the world for free – that's an impressive discount if I ever heard of one! Fair enough, conditions at times can be a bit grim – but you know there were risks when you signed up so can't really complain (about a lack of discounts – if you cop it on the job then you get a free funeral service!)

johnners
    Free Member

where as me, a soldier/h.m. forces get fu*k all im lucky to get 10% at my LBS

There's a book over a hundred pages thick detailing HM Forces discounts. I wonder why they've kept that a secret from you?

marsdenman
    Free Member

discount in shops such as topman

not all good then….. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Target consumers for topman/topshop is probably aged 16-30. Within that age range you've got 16-21 yr old students,and everyone else who's working.

Now obviously everyone with a job can afford £20 to spend on jeans once in a while. But how do you avoid losing the students to primark? You offer them a discount, and hopefully they'll like the stuff and come abck and keep paying full price after they've graduated and you may as well sell them stuff with 10% less markup than not sell them anything.

Forces discount is a different matter,
    thats just shops showing their appreciation for your job, same goes for nurses, doctors etc etc etc, no econimic reason to offer it. Unless your in a small town near a base in which case the rules change slightly.

You run a barbers shop in a small town, population 1500, for example,
    The normal price is £7.50, which is about the same wherever you look. But theres 2000 squaddies who need their crew cuts once a month. Do you A) charge them £7.50, or b)offer them a reduced rate to stop them going to the competition, without damageing your ability to make money out of normal folks? Same applies for nurses near hospitals etc.

CaptJon
    Free Member

student rail card – best discount

It's technically a Young Person's Railcard and eligibility depends on the hours studied:

1. Can I obtain a 16-25 Railcard as a Mature Student aged over 26?

If you are 26 or over, you will need proof that you are a full-time student at a recognised educational establishment. You must attend for over 15 hours a week and for at least 20 weeks a year. You can either show an ISIC card (International Student Identity Card)or have the 'Mature Students Only' section of the application form completed and certified. Because we need to see this proof, you must apply at a staffed station ticket office or rail appointed Travel Agent. NUS cards will not be accepted as proof of age/educational status (Open University, distance learning and part-time courses do not qualify).

Please see details in the application form, which you can download here

For details of ISIC see http://www.isic.org

It is a great discount. Make sure you renew it on the last day you're technically a student.

0091paddy
    Free Member

10% off at Halfords, doesn't include certain bikes though (like over £500)

meehaja
    Free Member

Must try harder, any cost over £100 I ask about NHS discount… and often get it (including 10% off an engagement ring, free track pump with a new bike and a box of just out of date energy bars…)

2hottie
    Free Member

I am also a "mature student" an I found that I didn't even use my NUS card as it was a total waste of time. Most of the shops don't take it and the ones that do are crap ie topman! yeah lets look like everyone else. No ta. Anyhow not many, if any bike shops offer a student discount. Have a look at the access to learning fund which can come in handy if you have previous commitments.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

topman! yeah lets look like everyone else

you wear howies t-shirt that says something similar dont you?

Then again im as guilty as anyone with my mavi organic jeans 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Don't forget you need to go out and steal a traffic cone.

coffeeking
    Free Member

why as a student should you get 10% off at topman when all you do is grow beards and smell of piss

Basic economics really isnt it. Either option was your own choice though, whether you chose to go kill or to be a student (same thing with some medical students I'm sure), so not really much point in moaning!

Beard growing – common with students.
    Smelling of pee? Never met one that did, personally. YMMV.

therealhoops
    Free Member

pay for your next ST mag with a cheque and then explain it's because you're a student

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I'm still hunting for practical discounts (other than the Railcard, which is very handy).

The only other useful discounts I get as a student are conti tubes at £2 a go, significant reductions off popular conti tyres and 10% off at the LBS…but that's because the uni MTB club is sponsored by Conti and said LBS.

Most non-MTB student discounts I've found (including the Railcard) are for stuff that's overpriced in the first place, like train tickets, stuff from the local watersports shop (my canoe club membership gets me 10% off).

You do get 10% of a Thompson holiday I belive, but I can't afford a new chain and casette for my hardtail so I don't stand a chance of using that.

The NUS card is useful, but it only discounts stuff I wouldn't normally buy in the first place, and most shops I go to don't accept it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘i'm a student’ is closed to new replies.