Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I'm a luddite thinking of dipping a toe into tubeless…explain pls?
  • rockhopper70

So, currently running normal tubes and tyres and was wondering about the tubeless set-up.
    However, it just seems soooo complicated.
    These rims below built on to my existing hubs….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38857

but what the heck is all that gubbins about various valves, hole diameters tapes/strips etc.
    Could someone explain in clear english please?
    Ta

FOG

Have a look on justridingalong.co.uk where there is a lot of info about how to do it and what works with what.

deanfbm
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

What deanfbm said – tubeless set up is dead easy on Flows IME.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Hi
    no disrespect to deanfbm but if you just buy valves and sealant it wont work on flow rims as they are not UST …… you will still get leaks from the spokes etc.
    for the flow rims you need stans no tubes rim strips and some sealant. The rim strips are narrow (the width of your rim) rubber bands with the valves built in (imagine slitting an innertube all the way around and then narrowing it from both sides until its about the width of your rim …. looks pretty much like that). The strip fits into your rims and when you add the sealant (once the tyre is fitted) it forms a seal between the rim and the tyre.
    try a youtube search for ‘stans no tubes’ .. theres usually quite a few vids on there that will talk you through it. You can also go ‘ghetto tubeless’ which is cheaper but a bit problematic if you want to change tyres.
    lastly …. give it a go …… I did and would never go back to tubes … I got so sick of punctures and pinch flats …… 1 year on and never had a flat since!

sleigh62
    Free Member

sorry deanfbm …… didn’t see the rim tape.
    still think it would be better with stans rimstrips though

grum
    Free Member

still think it would be better with stans rimstrips though

Why? I’ve just used the yellow tape and valves with no issues – the Stan’s rim strips are for converting non-tubeless rims aren’t they?

bigjim

just read the stan’s site, for stans rims you just need the yellow tape not the rim strips.

sleigh62
    Free Member

sorry then chaps ….. I stand corrected! 😥

rockhopper70

sort of thanks…ok

splashdown
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I'm a luddite thinking of dipping a toe into tubeless…explain pls?’ is closed to new replies.