Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • I'm a ****. Help me decide.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Following on from this thread, on a whim, I bought a TCX SLR 2 second hand yesterday. All the shops have sold out, so this was one way of getting a proper test ride in 😀

Now, I have spent all morning riding the TCX back to back with my Genesis Croix De Fer, and I’ll be jiggered if I can decide which one to keep. A decision made harder, by Genesis going above and beyond and sourcing me a carbon fork, which drops 200g-ish off the Croix De Fer’s standard steely one.

Anyway. One will have to go, so in true STW tradition, tell me which one I should keep, but be aware I may invoke the Molgrips Clause, and do the complete opposite of what you tell me….as well, as possibly going for secret option number 3, which will be buying a Pro6 frame that has just come on the market, and swapping components over 8)

For the record, whichever one I keep will run Kinesis CXd wheels.

The TCX (10.15kg):

105 gearing, FSA something chainset with BB86. TRP Spyres. Giant own stem/bars/saddle with carbon post.

The Croix De Fer (10.8kg)

Full 105, TRP Spyres, FSA bars, 3T stem, Thomson post/collar etc

RustySpanner

If we all donated a tenner we could get a hitman.

Keep the Giant. It’s the one you wanted in the first place.
    🙂

kayak23

No idea how they ride, but the Genesis is waaay better looking imho, and the Giant is…..a Giant.

rogermoore

What is the strip-light in your garage so happy about?
    RM.

matt_outandabout

Rusty – do you take PayPal gift?

Jamie
    Free Member

Better make a start on my living will 🙁

Keep the Giant. It’s the one you wanted in the first place.

So that’s one vote for the Genesis. 8)

Maybe a little less riding and a little more lawnmowing?

Bollocks. I had that down as the 1st reply. I’m really not having a good day 😐

wwaswas

Maybe a little less riding and a little more lawnmowing?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden the old TCX so I know nothing. However, if I liked the ride and it was for pootling and bimbling I’d keep the CdF. If it’s more training and pushing on a bit then TCX (and cross train with the lawn mower.) Would the riding experiences back that up?

I’d vote option 3.

timidwheeler

I like the black one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Keepz ze Giantz

And I expected a GIF at the very least on this thread ..

Is dissapoint 😐

WackoAK
    Free Member

Take your pick…

I’d keep the Genesis, as said above the Giant is…..a Giant

lilchris
    Free Member

The Giant is rubbish and should be sold to me immediately at a rock bottom price as a lesson to you.

and the Giant is…..a Giant.

Agreed, so that’s what I’d have.

AlexSimon

I’m really surprised the weights are so similar.
    I test-rode a Croix De Fer and found it lumpen and dead.
    Bought a Boardman, and it’s much more to my liking.

Don’t know where the Giant fits in this this.

zilog6128

A decision made harder, by Genesis going above and beyond and sourcing me a carbon fork, which drops 200g-ish off the Croix De Fer’s standard steely one.

More info on this please! (and the Genesis looks cooler, in stealth black)

iainc

I’d keep the Genesis, largely ‘cos I have one too 🙂 That said I also have a Giant, albeit a Defy Composite 😛

In my case they are quite different, intentionally. One a sprightly summer light road bike. One a comfy steel winter road, summer adventure, tourer etc

spyke85
    Free Member

What carbon fork is on the Croix de Fer?

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Do you want to know what to have for lunch too?

I like them both BTW. so no help what so ever.

yossarian
    Free Member

Decide which frame you like best.

Transfer all the best bits of kit.

Sell what’s left.

avdave2

As yossarian says – For me I’d keep the CdF with the 105 off the Giant.
    Were those Spyres the ones that got recalled? – with it being second hand it might be worth checking.

Andy

£10? Bargain. I’m in.

I name you CX-Hora 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

CdF

carlphillips
    Free Member

is that a huge set of tanga briefs on the washing line?

lunge

I like the look of the Giant myself. So, as both seem to be bikes on the large side and likely to fit me, I’d keep the Genesis and then transfer all the good bits onto the Giant ready to sell to a fellow STWer, me to be exact.

convert

What’s it for? The Genesis looks a bit more of an all rounder. More comfy as well?

As a racer the Giant, anything else the Genesis.

BTW – that’s an old man’s garden Jamie. I had you down as a little more youthful.

brassneck

You should keep the Giant so I can have the CdF. Doesn’t look like the Giant will take a rack so it’s no use to me thanks.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Genesis.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Keep the Giant. I love my TCX.

househusband

You might be able to get a better price for the Giant seeing as they’re rare as hen’s teeth. Not only that but they’ve been so long in coming that they’ll be releasing the spec for the 2015 version in only a few months…

If the Genesis didn’t have a carbon fork I’d say keep the TCX!

D0NK

I presume the giant is ali frame. Back to back riding and no difference in feel of the back end? Curious. You ridden many cobbled sections? In fact get a mate to help out, do a 30+mile grueller* then ride them both on a cobbled section back to back, any differences in comfort should show up a lot clearer then.

Also interested in the fork story. Have they changed the ride of the CDF at all?

Normally I’d say all things being equal go for the lightest but in this case it’s a giant and all that 27.5 bollocks has jaded me.

*is this even a slang word? sure as hell not coming up in any dictionaries.

brakes
    Free Member

Crocs of Fire.

TiRed

TCX. The Cdf will feel like a noodle by comparison.
    And that lawn is shorter than mine.

fasthaggis

You have a Giant decision to make.

wukfit
    Free Member

Get rid of them both and wait till the TCX is available with the new 105 with hydraulic discs, it’s what I’m doing

wwaswas

I do hope Jamie’s absence from this thread means that his lawn’s now suitable trim…

Bruce

Keep both one road bike is never enough.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also interested in the fork story. Have they changed the ride of the CDF at all?

[quote]What carbon fork is on the Croix de Fer?[/quote]

More info on this please! (and the Genesis looks cooler, in stealth black)

I contacted Genesis about the suitability of the DC37 Kinesis fork, as it has an A-C of 400mm, and the Croix De Fer has a rocking horse shit A-C of 387mm. They said it would knacker the geo, so I left it at that. A few days later they got in touch to say they had found a carbon fork, with a 387mm A-C, laying about, and did I want it? I said yes. They sent it out, along with a brake adapter and a split crown race for my M:Part headset. I guess this is the benefits of using the same headset that comes on the stock bike.

As for the fork, it has a few scuffs, and the paint is a bit flaky on the disc mount, but is sound. When I asked about source, I was told:

“The forks are an older model made by a company called Aprebic/EVO in Taiwan. They make a an awful lot of forks for people like Surly, Salsa, Whisky, etc.”

It’s not super light at 700g, as has an alloy steerer, but meh. Have only done about 15 miles on it yet so it may still fall apart 😉

So in summary. Genesis are awesome, and I should probably keep the Croix De Fer in their honour. I did mean to make a post saying how good they were, but like a **** forgot.

I’ve only ridden the old TCX so I know nothing. However, if I liked the ride and it was for pootling and bimbling I’d keep the CdF. If it’s more training and pushing on a bit then TCX (and cross train with the lawn mower.) Would the riding experiences back that up?

I am probably best categorised as a gnarcore pootler.

I’d keep the Genesis, largely ‘cos I have one too That said I also have a Giant, albeit a Defy Composite

I was waiting for you to tell me to get a Pinnacle Arkose 😀

I test-rode a Croix De Fer and found it lumpen and dead.

Mine has only the frame in common with the standard bike, which could make a difference.

I’m really surprised the weights are so similar.

Weighed a couple of times and took an average. Probably not scientific conditions, but seems roughly correct.

I name you CX-Hora

Sadly, that’s probably deserved.

Do you want to know what to have for lunch too?

Yes, as I havn’t eaten since Monday through indecision 🙁

For me I’d keep the CdF with the 105 off the Giant.

Croix De Fer already has 105.

is that a huge set of tanga briefs on the washing line?

Yup. Crotchless, as well.

BTW – that’s an old man’s garden Jamie. I had you down as a little more youthful.

What’s a young man’s garden?…hang on, maybe don’t answer that.

You have a Giant decision to make.

Get out!

I do hope Jamie’s absence from this thread means that his lawn’s now suitable trim…

….just for you, wwaswas:

…STW record for most quotes in a post?

wwaswas

just for you, wwaswas:

*approves*

my 17 year old son did ours the other day. it’s ok, but it’s not ‘right’. My work there is not yet done.

iainc

just as well you put them that way up for the photo – the Giant might have got squashed otherwise 🙂

Bazz

Genesis, no contest.

Houns

CDF, the Giant munts

Now, please, go sit in your compost bin

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘I'm a ****. Help me decide.’ is closed to new replies.