Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I'm a fashion victim – bar-ends
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I think my XC bike would be good with bar ends. I have kept trying to justify why they are a bad choice, but I think it’s mostly just fashion. They’re just un-cool. And tbh I don’t want to lose a bit of width, in all seriousness.

I see those Ergon ones with stubbies on.. anything else I should look at?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get these ones with an integrated bell.

Fit to one side only.

A right bell end……

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Bar ends are great, never got rid of mine. There’s not much to recommend one type over another but the Ritchey ones seem pretty good to me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have short bar ends on my 1×10 hybrid. Good for varying hand position on a long ride and feel great on the climbs.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I actually quite like bar-ends on my commuter and probably would use them if I had flat bars instead of risers on an XC hardtail. They look very, very wrong with risers though.

jam-bo

Try TOGS as a lightweight alternative.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got some of thoise small specialized ones – always liked them; but they are a bit ugly.

£10 posted? if you want to try. overends

scotroutes

Cane Creek Ergos – but they’ve stopped making them 😥

TOGS are an interesting alternative. I have them fitted on a couple of bikes and miss them on the others.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

SJSC do something quite like those Cane Creek jobbies…

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/medium-bbb-ergostick-bar-ends/

.. I have both, they are similar and help with arthritic hands. On riser bars they show my rebellious streak.

steezysix
    Free Member

I just got some Decathlon ones for my bikepacking bike. Only a couple of rides so far but I like them as they don’t make me shift my weight forward, just offer an alternative position for my hands on long rides

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bike-bar-ends-ergo-black-id_8203952.html

molgrips
    Free Member

Could be interested in those Ergons ta as I have a pair of non-bar-ended ones on the Salsa and love them… let me mull it over.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i can send you a cheap set of you want to try

On all my MTB though the FS its only ergostubbies
    Dont care about fashion i am riding the bike not looking at it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I have some cheapo ones actually

chestrockwell

If you’re worried about losing bar width have a look out for some retro Answer Hyperends as the plug in rather than on. They’re lovely looking things too and they come up in vgc fairly regularly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Still can’t decide if I want ends or a wavy bar like the Fleegle.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

quite comfy on the right bike.

tinybits
    Free Member

loved mine on a straight bar, ditched them on the riser (although did try ergons) would have another punt at a pair of x-lites on the now flat bar on the 29er

funkmasterp

Think I’ve got some kicking around, do you want them? If so, let me know and they are yours.

joshvegas
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Still can’t decide if I want ends or a wavy bar like the Fleegle.

Run both.

Lovely.

But also togs… Very lovely

Oblongbob

Bar ends are brilliant. The hand position is just so much more natural for climbing etc. It’s a bit like riding on the hoods on a road bike, it’s just the right position for your hands. I still have them on a few of my bikes, including one with risers. Yes they look a bit odd, but who cares. On my bikes without them I sometimes find myself riding on climbs with hands on end of bars as if wishing there were some. I use some stubby ones (tioga maybe) and have some ergon built in ones. Long live bar ends!

fatmax

Got them on my Singular Swift and the Canyon carbon 29er – Specialized Overendz. Got a rubber covering that’s great, love them!

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

The Easton EC90 ones are superb but not cheap. They don’t get cold either so great in the winter months. Beware of fake ones from overseas though.

core

On an XC bike they make perfect sense. I’ve been riding my Soul on road and tamer rides a lot lately, I find my hands in the position they’d be on bar ends a lot of the time anyway, so next ride the pair in the shed are going on. Just nice for a more natural/restful position when cruising and climbing.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Those Ergon integrated ones are ace. Highly recommended, regardless of fashion.

rOcKeTdOg

i kept getting them caught in safety netting/wire fences/bushes/trees so gave up with them. might get some for the grav-brid though

so uncool they are cool

bigrich

I got some, and was told I was uncool by a fat 50 year old on a 150mm enduro bike and who was dressed like a clown with late stage ebola. phew.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

LOL @ RD ‘grav-brid’ and @ bigrich!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I'm a fashion victim – bar-ends’ is closed to new replies.