Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I'm a bit worried…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

… that I've put myself out of the MTB market. Apart from replacing worn parts.

I mean, whilst wooping and hollering around Leith Hill on Sunday, it suddenly occurred to me that I've finally got the bike that feels perfect enough to not need "improving".

I've even started ignoring articles about the latest miracle suspension system/frame configuration/wonder forks in the mags.

Am I lost forever? 😯

allthegear
    Free Member

I know the feeling – I can't think of anything I'd change about my Helius.

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

oh – actually – when the Alfine 11 comes out, I may be tempted…

🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

I went through an identity crisis when I realized the other day that there was nothing I actually wanted to buy (other than the usual essentials). The Argos catalogue being my bible as a kid.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Contrary to the tumbling prices of most other goods from the Far East, MTB hardware prices continue their steady climb into the stratospehere.

People I know who aren't into bikes just cannot get their heads around the totally stupid prices asked for decent cycle hardware.

I try to defend the business, but that is an increasingly tough call.

This could go the way of the British Hifi industry and disappear up it's own rear end!

Sure, small shops struggle to survive and need high margins, but the price of a decent bike excludes all but the richest, or most enthusiastic.

One guy I know wanted a new hardtail because his rusty broken £90 bike was beyond economic repair. He said it didn't mater because he'd just go and buy another £100 bike. I told him he was seriously wasting his money and cited how my £1000 full suspension bike lasted 10 years before i rebuild it with minimal maintenance outlay. At year 10 I spent a further £600 on new drive train, F and R suspension, frame bearings and paintjob (all heavily discounted after a long an careful search). The rebuild should last another 10 years, but so long as the temperamantal air suspension I have bought doesn't let me down. The ongoing maintenance costs will be a fair bit higher with this new technology, but the bike is now transformed. Lighter, vastly better handling and much more efficient pedalling with the improved suspension.

Anyway, based on my influence, matey boy has since upped his hardtail budget to £250, but i've told him £400 is more like the rock bottom starting point for anything decent.

Time will tell what he spends, but i can assure you that so many "would be" enthusiasts are being frightened off by the hype and ridiculous prices. E.G. A £2600 asking price for full suspension bike with some components leaning towards the exotic?? This is daft!

Don't suppose the industry really gives a damn though as they can sell full suspension bikes with mish mash of mediocre/rubbish components for around the £1000 mark.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

This could go the way of the British Hifi industry and disappear up it's own rear end!

All you need is NAIM.

allthegear
    Free Member

or LINN – I wouldn't want to do anything to my LINN system, either…

(mental note to myself: never post my address on here…)

stuey
    Free Member

I'll bite – "Mr Woppit what is this Nirvana bike you possess?" – My missus would like me to have the same…

'best bike in the world is the one your ridding'

slowjo
    Free Member

I know what you mean… I started thinking about some new bouncy bits, drivetrains etc the other day and was slightly overwhelmed at the price of half way decent kit. It looks like my HT1 XTR and early HT2 chainsets will have to last a good deal longer despite the crank arms getting a bit thin where my boots/shoes have polished them.

Having said that, SLX looks good enough and seems to perform well enough not to bother with XT any more.

nickc

I built my Chameleon in Oct 08 as a single bike replacement for the 3 off road bikes I owned (a Hummer, a Helius FR, and an On One SS). It's a had a couple of new cassettes, a chain or two, and I finally got round to building some 819 to replace the 717 with rim strips, and that's it. Oh no hang I just bought a new rear tyre.

I now spend all my extra cash on sex toys, so life's better all round really

MrWoppit
    Free Member

stuey – Member
    I'll bite – "Mr Woppit what is this Nirvana bike you possess?" – My missus would like me to have the same…

Orange 5.

Fox "Boost Valve" rear unit, original Rocky Revs (130mm), Spesh ""Purgatory" tires, DX pedals, Thomson stem & seat post, Cane Creek headset, LX/XT yaddayadda.

A.K.A. "The Lovely ChunkiMunki"… 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

I thought I was happy with my bike, but now I can't decide beween an Orange 5 and a Santa Cruz Chameleon.

nickc

Chameleon. Makes you into a sex god, see my post…

therealhoops
    Free Member

+1 what allthegear said. My Helius is luverly. I even still use octalink.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I had the same thing when I got my '08 Five.

You'll stay happy with it but you will start lusting after niche bikes to complement it so it doesn't last for ever.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member
    I had the same thing when I got my '08 Five.

You'll stay happy with it but you will start lusting after niche bikes to complement it so it doesn't last for ever.

My "niche" bike…

http://site.nycewheels.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/FINAL_medres.gif

Taff
    Free Member

If you feel that you still need to buy parts then you can replace my worn parts….

epicyclo

I take it the OP has discovered the joys of singlespeeding without suspension 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

it's the sunny weather, it always makes you love your bike
    wait until you can't ride because it's raining and you start to browse the bike websites

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I'm a bit worried…’ is closed to new replies.