Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • I'm 37, which means I'm past it, but why..?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you’re past it, then so am I! 37 here as well, but I feel fitter in some ways than I have been at any point in my life, but saying that, my recovery times are definitely a lot longer. I was probably as fit in my early 20’s but other than being almost twice that age, I’m a bloody sight heavier too, and that makes things more tricky… 🙂

What I notice most (in mountain biking terms) is that I have a fear gland now. I guess a career, mortgage, lovely wife and three cats probably make me hold back a bit and keep my wheels more attached to the ground than when I used to muck about as a youngster, but I wish I had the balls and skillz to enjoy the downhills with the kit I’ve got now compared to when I look back to my first few mountain bikes in the 1990s.

Ah, those were the days. I’m sure summers were longer then too. And the price of bread now, I say.

crikey
    Free Member

he said that as you get older your muscles become more dense, this makes them stronger pound for pound but they cant support as much oxygen, so you lose some of your stamina.

I’m just glad he doesn’t teach biology…

billyboy
    Free Member

At 37 I was probably at my physically fitest ever…. when my alcoholic wife went into melt down and I found myself doing the working single parent boogie. I’ve been playing catch up ever since, but never quite got back there. 54 now and doubt things will get better.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Jeez!

Go an Audax and see blokes of 70 stuff you over distance!

37 – and I’ve just found that life hasn’t a handbrake!

FFS!

Bregante

flip – Member
    Are you a pro?
    I’m 42 and have more (sexual?)stamina, patience and general umph than at anytime in my life.
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Fazackerley

loddrik
    Free Member

Just to clarify (again), I am not saying ‘I’ am past it, I am saying that it is evident that people do start to decline, as evidenced by most sportsmen being past their peak by this age.

charliemort

46 here – probably endurance wise about the same as I was at 30. But try anything fast eg 5 a side football / Dad’s race and I’m in pinged hamstring city. Partly due to the type of training I do though – generally steady effort stuff though. Since I was 40 I have dabbled in the dark world that is triathlon which keeps motivation up

deffo losing flexibility (not that i had a load) eg vaulting a fence or something would be a challenge. And if I tried a game of rugby (played to about 33) I’d probably die. But I don’t work on flexibility which I probably should

have always maintained some level of fitness as I’m a big lad so can chuck on the weight if not careful – think this puts me at an advantage as from my teens I have been a bit careful say compared to someone who has been dead skinny up to late twenties and done no sport who then finds everything going south

echo comments about mental strength etc – as an old git I don’t expect it to be easy and will keep churning on

ianv
    Free Member

I seem to remember that men are at their physical peak at 23-25, women a bit older. The reason that there are not many older professionals is probably:
    They cannot train as hard and recover as quickly as their younger counterparts.
    They found it hard to keep up the level of motivation required to train and perform at such a high level.
    They got injured and had to stop.
    Anyone who is fitter and stronger in their 30-40’s than in their 20’s was obviouly not trying hard enough when they were younger.

wwaswas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Couture

He’s 47 now, and stupid fit

I think if you’re called ‘Randy Couture’ you either go down the ‘fit as a butchers dog’ or the ‘wearing comfortable shoes’ route. It’s the law.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

there are always a few freaks though, 40+ is pretty rare for a sprinter:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/queally-returns-to-uk-2012-london-olympics-sprint-squad

perhaps he’s related to reg harris

stever
    Free Member

But there’s a clear difference between top class folk and most of us. They were close to their theoretical peak at some point and declining from there. You, me and most of the people we know have never been anyway near our potential. We can probably improve on where we’ve ever got to before with a bit of work and doing the right stuff.

I’m the oldest I’ve ever been and the fittest I’ve ever been and have no plans to stop improving just yet.

wwaswas

I read in a running magazine recently that people get ‘best’ at a sport after 12 years doing it.

Anyone who takes up a sport later in life will tend to improve for quite some time, then peak, then decline with time. Obviously you can extend the ‘peak’ by trainign and staying injury free.

It’s vaguely comforting that as I didn’t take up mtbing until about 10 years ago I’ve still got a couple fo years to get better at it 🙂

Taz

Played high level rugby to around 32. I gave up then as I was losing my motivation to train hard enough to stay at the top level. Think it was having done it for >15 years. I simple was not enjoying it as much. Time was also a factor as other life commitments started to take higher priority.

Took up biking a couple of year after I quit rugby. Last year (40) I beat all of my times on the few things I measure myself on. Fully expect and plan to improve again this year

glenh
    Free Member

Never mind all this physical stuff.

If you are 37, relax in the fact that you have been getting stupider for a number of years and will continue to deteriorate. 🙂

instanthit
    Free Member

Im 50 next year and can still knock out a 1.30 half marathon, ride sportives (road) and come in the top quarter but sadly still getting hammered by my mates off road, technical ability has not improved but fear factor has risen! Train sensibly, use a heart rate monitor and just enjoy being outdoors. Act your shoe size not your age (in all areas of life!!!) and you’ll be fine.

McHamish
    Free Member

I was chatting to an ex Olympic swimmer a while back about getting older and losing fitness, he said that as you get older your muscles become more dense, this makes them stronger pound for pound but they cant support as much oxygen, so you lose some of your stamina.

Yes.

In my thai boxing it’s amusing when a younger lad who’s a better boxer that me will attempt to over power me…in the clinch I’ll beat them everytime. I think you only begin to appreciate ‘man strength’ when you’re older…as a young man you aren’t aware of it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not literally, but I don’t feel too much different to what I did ten years ago

Because you can’t actually remember it. i’m 26 and my best years are a close enough memory for me to realise they are gone.

when people over 30 start telling you they aren’t over the hill it’s because they have started the descent.

molgrips
    Free Member

EDIT: Is that a flat barred CX bike?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Kelly Slater, 38 and still world surfing champion(10 times I think).

Me, 41, as fit as I’ve ever been but not quite as flexible and injuries seem to take longer to heal. Still go downhil with a “damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” mentality.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I'm 37, which means I'm past it, but why..?’ is closed to new replies.