Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I'm 23% more likely to develop heart disease
  • hora
    Free Member

Accordinging to a recent US study. AB are deadmen walking..

Darn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19257876

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Darn, how long do you have, better get cycling more then!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Hmmm, one does wonder why they only mention relative risk increase, rather than mentioning the absolute risk statistics 😉

CaptJon
    Free Member

What Z11 said. Journalist don’t know the difference between percentage point changes and percentage changes – just look at how they report inflation numbers.

brakes
    Free Member

well, if the absolute risk of heart disease is about 20% for all blood types then the most it will be for AB is 24.6%. Given that 44% have blood type O and 4% have blood type AB then it’s going to be about 24%.
    Maybe someone else can do the maths.
    One in three people die of heart disease/ heart attacks/ heart failure/ stroke anyway so I wouldn’t worry too much.
    Better that than the big C.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora you’re far more at risk of getting lynched mid ride than you are of developing heart disease. And each time you change your mind about what bike you’re riding that risk increases exponentially.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Curiouser and curiouser, even the official press release didn’t mention the absolute risk rates

http://newsroom.heart.org/pr/aha/blood-type-may-influence-heart-237373.aspx?link_page_rss=237373

Almost as if there was a reason to amplify or scaremonger…

fortunately the abstract is bound to show the absolute rather than just relative figures…

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/early/2012/08/14/ATVBAHA.112.248757.abstract

nope, relative figures again!

but there is some light in the tunnel, the abstract says that 89,000 middle-ish aged people were monitored in two studies, giving about 2 million person/years of data, with about 4000 developing heart disease,

so rough numbers thats about 20 years each of monitoring on average, with a risk of about 1 in 25, or 4%, of developing the disease in the 20 year period… so your chance of developing heart disease in middle age on the figures is about 3% for blood group O, rising to 4% if you’re blood group AB.

maybe not such a good headline…

brakes
    Free Member

what is middle-ish aged? 40?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nothing about this article depresses me. Finding out I’m the same blood type as hora has made me all but want to throw in the towel.

brakes
    Free Member

are you a donor? one day you could save his life.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Even worse…one day, I could get some of his…

Oh Jesus…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

what is middle-ish aged? 40?

the female study (majority) were between 30 and 55 with no more figures given, the male study between 40 and 75 – the rate of heart disease n the blokes was quite a bit higher, (a bot over double) but they were clearly older on average.

CountZero

My dad was AB+, he died when I was 13, aged 44, from a heart attack. I’m O+, and 57…

hora
    Free Member

DD I do donate as well….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

CZ, Wow that was young! 14 and 49 for me…and I thought mine was too young to go like that. I don’t know what bloodt type he was.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

My dad was AB+,
    I’m O+

Erm, Sorry, I don’t really know how to put this discreetly, but are you sure about that…

D0NK

Erm, Sorry, I don’t really know how to put this discreetly, but are you sure about that…

😯

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm thats a point. I thought you got your bloodtype/mix from your parents (Father)?

Quick google- you should be A or B but not O.

martinhutch

Z11 – it’s odd that they’ve not specified absolute risk in black and white, but given they’re talking about incidence of heart disease over a 20 year period, it’s less of a wrong-un than talking about a 23% increase in incidence of a vanishingly rare condition.

Across the population of people with AB, an extra 1 in every 100 is a fair number of individuals, rather than just a handful if it was a 1 in 100 with a rare tumour.

The story should have taken the trouble to spell it out in absolute terms though.

Lots of interesting follow-up work on the reasons why O-type people are blessed with better clotting etc.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Great thread 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I'm 23% more likely to develop heart disease’ is closed to new replies.