Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Illigal to drive in Flip flops
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

flip flops, snowboard boots, wellies, football boots, spuds – all OK for me 8)

Toddboy
    Free Member

Well James, since I am mature enough to decide that it is safe for me to do it, unlike yourself who seems to be immature enough to criticise my decision 😛

specializedneeds

Since when has criticising been immature? I was actually questioning your justification – which is plain for everyone to see.

Unfortunately, it's not just you that you are making descisions for though is it? What about the other potential victims of your actions?

Anyway, the wife (an aussie) says it is illegal in Oz and lets face it, wives know everything!

Edit: she still does it though

Toddboy
    Free Member

Well now I'm convinced that it is unsafe to drive in flip flops! 🙄

Just as well that my commute is by bike and train, all of my potential victims can sleep well tonight 😆

specializedneeds

Your family included, even if they aren't in the car with you at the time.

Heres an interesting thing: the all-knowing wife reckons the main reason for no thongs while driving in Oz is protecting your feet from spiders etc.

Toddboy
    Free Member

I actually heard that a lot of car crashes over here are caused from Huntsman spiders. Apparently they like to hide in narrow places like the gap between the sun visor and roof. Then the driver lowers the visor, the spider falls out, and scares the hell out of the drivers! Anyway, thongs or flip flops make excellent spider killers 😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I believe it is illegal to drive barefoot in the UK, but I doubt you'd get done for it. I used to have a Fiat Panda, which had very light actioned pedals, and for long journeys I normally took my shoes off because it meant I could relax my feet rather than 'holding them back' off the pedals all the time. Once you get used to it, it's fine. These days in the summer I live in flip flops and sandals and it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. I used to drive vans and landroves a lot in boots and wellies too, which takes some getting used to at first. The worst thing I have driven in was my Spesh BG Sport SPD shoes. The hard sole with the big gaps in it gets caught on the pedals. Only done it once, never again…..

Marge
    Free Member

After a long ride I am very happy to pop my shoes off & drive home with some air round my feet.
    I used to drive cars competitively and the ultra thin shoes worn for that are really nothing more than 5 mm of soft rubber & a fireproof fabric. If the boys in F1 / WRC can manage to control their cars with this completely unsupportive footwear I think I'll be just fine in bare feet.

Flip flops on the other hand (or my Birkenstocks) do feel a little scary underfoot. Personally not something I'd think was a good idea but maybe other people feel more secure in their flip flops…

I tried driving my car in my moto-x boots once (just briefly) and it is not to be recommended…. Similar issues to the ski boot experiences I imagine

hora
    Free Member

Why are professional racing shoes thin-soled with no heel?

Smee
    Free Member

Driving like a **** is illegal everywhere.

hora
    Free Member

It is illegal to drive in barefeet. This was discussed on Pistonheads and its if a stone gets inbetween the pedal and the ball of your foot you will struggle to execute an emergency stop.

Now, if I'm faced with hitting someone at any speed- NO stone no matter how big is going to stop me stamping hard on that pedal. Its not as though you are walking barefoot in a small pool is it. If you were being chased by a bear you'd fuggin run Olympic-style through the same pond. Anyway. barefoot offers more feel/control for me…but if theres ever an accident you've got to understand that the Emergency services or other may point towards a lack of control on your part (and call you a lier) I bet.

mcboo
    Free Member

This is too much. I actually toyed with starting this exact thread a couple of weeks ago……as a piss-take. Decided against it as I thought was too obviously a troll.

So where do we stand on jumping red lights?

anagallis_arvensis

I'm shocked by this I drive barefoot often, if I have walking boots/spd's on I slip them off seems much safer to me.

hora
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – I moved the car in my spd's 10m's in a carpark last week. Didnt feel safe at all! Plus unless you have excessively sweaty feet I dont see the problem having a better feel of what the car is doing with bare feet.

IanMunro
    Free Member

People who claim that it's illegal to drive bare footed, could you point me to the relevant bit of legislation.

hora
    Free Member

Its not 'illegal'. The law only states appropriate footwear/control?

I'm saying at the scene of an accident the prosecution could imply that maybe theres a doubt that you werent in total control of the vehicle.

Its a very grey area. I want to know the definitive answer as I cant drive in 99% of shoes (only comfortable in Goodyear Puma's or similar.

aracer
    Free Member

I'm saying at the scene of an accident the prosecution could imply that maybe theres a doubt that you werent in total control of the vehicle.

They could say that, however for it to make a difference they'd have to prove it.

hora
    Free Member

Ambigious: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069855

clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner

fisha
    Free Member

I asked the traffic boys at the station about driving in bare feet. Their basic take on it was that if your in proper control of the vehicle, it wasn't a big issue to them. Flips and things like that, they may take issue to, but not barefeet.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. Looks like I was wrong. Barefoot driving isn't specifically illegal in the UK. I thought I read years ago that it was. Sorry.

No reason why it should be that I can see anyway.
    🙂

Drac

I don't know going off that why aren't we allowed to do 200mph on public roads when racing drivers are allowed to?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Lots of women drive bare footed as they may have been wearing high heels, claiming it stops you apply full pressure pedals is daft no reason why it should. Totally depends on the car

Totally depends on the car and it's level of servo assistance. I have driven bare footed loads of times, despite not being supposed to, but I fairly regularly walk around on rocks bare-footed at the beach and my daily driver has over-servo'd brakes so it's not a problem to emergency stop for me. In my other car where the brakes are significantly less assisted, or in older cars where there is no assistance, a girly girl driving bare footed trying to get the car to stop would undoubtedly squeal with the pain of stamping on a 1" wide metal pedal in delicate bare feet.

As for flip flops – they're not exactly secure, but they do seem to stick to some peoples feet fairly well. I was never someone who got on with them, they always fall off and rattle around, it'd be stupid for me to drive in them.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

The Highway Code is just that, a code of conduct. It is not the law. It advises good practice.

The law is the Road Traffic Act, hence why in hora's link those parts of the highway code which refer to the law have the appropriate sections of the RTA referenced.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the self righteous will conform to 'rules' and 'laws' they clearly have no understanding of.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because race car pedals are usually wide and flat (unlike a lot of cars, particularly older ones) and heel-less to allow heel-toe action smoothly. Good question though, from the few rally training sessions I've done that using the brakes to their full potential even with trainers on can leave you with bruised feet!

coffeeking
    Free Member

JacksonPollock – not conforming to the code of conduct shows disregard for safety and as such could be considered driving below the standard expected…even if there is no RTA regulation covering the specific item so you need to be careful. If the police think it's dangerous you'll be had for /something/. It is expected that you follow the HWC.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Yes I agree, it could be deemed dangerous…but its not illegal to drive barefoot (or in flip flops for that matter).

The op and some answers on here are symptomatic of our overzealous culture.

hora
    Free Member

JacksonPollock I'm struggling to find relevant and pertinent links. Its a grey area and open to dispute IMO.

Raceshoes are designed for feel. Heel pivot without a heel to complicate the arc amongst other reasons. Its pertinent for road use IMO regardless of speed. You wouldnt drive with woolly gloves on would you- it offers you feel/feedback. All IMO.

The only true arguments I can see for wearing shoes in a roadcar are Grip (but then the soles of your shes may be wet) and crash intrusion. Your shoes offer you *slightly* more protection to your feet. Although its doubtful really how much.

Drac

a girly girl driving bare footed trying to get the car to stop would undoubtedly squeal with the pain of stamping on a 1" wide metal pedal in delicate bare feet.

Why your point is fairly valid for such cars women tend to have tougher feet because of the silly shoes they wear. Generally a vast majority of cars aren't going to cause the problem you suggested we can of course spend ages looking for exceptions like "oooh you might get a splinter or a wasp might land on the pedals."

Smee
    Free Member

It is not specifically illegal to drive in bare feet anywhere in the UK. **** stupid though.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

I have no issue with the debate over what footcovering is best for driving in. Its the statements re; legality/best practice, asserted as fact that holds me in disbelief!

hora
    Free Member

I still get funny comments/looks from everyone about my feet who gets in my car. Like its a strange novelty although they've seen me do this soo many times. To people who dont drive barefoot or socks I guess it is very wierd. Great in summer tho!

iDave
    Free Member

i drive in a tequila haze – which is more like a flop flip. is that illegal or just fun?

aracer
    Free Member

If the police think it's dangerous you'll be had for /something/.

Given the way the law works in this country they'd have to prove it was dangerous, rather than it just being their opinion though. If you break a specific law it's all rather more straightforward.

You wouldnt drive with woolly gloves on would you

Probably not wooly ones as they're too slippery – I've certainly driven with gloves (winter cycling or skiing ones) though. It's not like you need to be able to feel the texture of the steering wheel!

hora
    Free Member

I know but its an additional layer removed from the (oh gawd Im about to talk bollocks about steering/driving/feel etc!)

takisawa2

Just an hour or so ago, myself & a colleague were casting a critical eye over an eastern European lorry driver outside our office window. He was helping unload 2tonne bundles of brass bars…& he was wearing flip flops!!!

zaskar
    Free Member

Flip flops-good for showers or the pool.

Wear in public and look a fool.

aracer
    Free Member

I'd rather look a fool and not be in pain when on the way back from an event with blisters on my heels.

CountZero

I did try driving in just my socks, no shoes once. I found it so uncomfortable, the pressure of a small area on the ball of my foot was such that I stopped after a couple of miles and put my shoes back on.

hora
    Free Member

Countzero- its not for everyone. Just like driving with thick shoes on feels very odd to me I can very well see driving without shoes can be very odd to others. 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

so the umbrella I use to prop against the accelerator on long journeys should be wearing shoes?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Illigal to drive in Flip flops’ is closed to new replies.