Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I'll give it a tri…
  • colournoise

Have volunteered for/been pressganged into doing a team/relay triathlon next year. It was the “you cycle, you can do the bike leg” conversation.

Distance (43km give or take) isn’t an issue at all (vague equivalent of 25-30km off-road in terms of effort?), but what would be a ‘reasonable’ target time to train for?

Got loads of time (September next year), so once I procure a road bike I can start a steady training programme (alongside my much preferred MTB riding).

Got a couple of decent swimmers lined up, and the runner is looking at around a 50 minute 10km, so just don’t want to disgrace myself on my first road riding event.

mogrim

How hilly?

colournoise

Don’t know the course yet, but I’m guessing not very (closed roads around Woburn).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mogrim

Depends if drafting is allowed, but if not and it’s not too hilly I’d be aiming for at least 30kph average. If it’s hilly I’d be looking at minimum 25kph.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I’d say 30kph, so 1hr20, is probably roughly equivalent to 50 minute 10km pace, ie both achievable for reasonably fit people without requiring too much in the way of structured training.

If you want to push yourself a bit then I would have thought that on a flat course 1hr-1hr10 would be a better aim, and would probably require a reasonably structured and regular training plan.

For comparison, British 25 mile TT record is 45 minutes, and that’s basically the same distance.

jono84
    Free Member

the top lads will be doing the bike in around an hour but they’ll also be running 34 -35 min 10kms an swimming at a 1:10-1:15per 100m swim pace some people will be taking around 2 hours on the bike, it really is so varied, it will be non drafting at them distances …just keep 7m from the guy in front unless your passing …think your aloud 20sec to pass ….generally if you look to be making a conscious effort to be moving forward or backwards in that draft zone the draft busters shouldn’t bother you
    I wouldnt get het up with times, just do the training you can and enjoy it its for fun after all 😉

colournoise

Thanks all. Looks like I’ll start with an aim of 1h20m and see where I go from there.

Now just got to get a cheap ass road bike…

hammerite
    Free Member

Colour noise – I’m local, let me know the course and I’ll let you know what the course is like (if you’re not local).

colournoise

Cheers hammerite. Not sure when they release the actual course details. All they say now is ‘closed road route through the picturesque roads surrounding Woburn’. I’ve driven round there and don’t remember any huge hills – more just rolling countryside. I’m based near Peterborough so close enough for a recce or three if they release the route ahead of the event.

hammerite
    Free Member

There are some sharp steep hills in the area. However, I doubt these will be on a closed road route. I reckon the route will probably be a similar one to the course used for the ladies Cyletta sportive (as this is 40k too and I think closed road).

scruff9252

For what it’s worth, last oly tri I completed, iI did the hilly 40k in little over 1:10 & I’m only moderately fit. Just a case of set a tempo, get aero and pump it out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I'll give it a tri…’ is closed to new replies.