Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ill children, should we change nursery?
  • franksinatra

We have two kids who go to nursery, aged 2 and 4 and they have been there since they were both 6 months. Both of them, but in particlar the two year old seem to get ill every two to three weeks. Nothing serious, just usual high temp / vomit thing that kids get, but it is happening so much it is starting to get silly. Youngest has been checked out by medical people who say it is just one of those things.

It is getting to the point now where we are thinking about changing nursery in the hope that the other one may have better hygiene / luck at avoiding illness. Concerned however that this is potential big upheaval (especially for 4 year old who loves nursery and her friends there), also concerned that there is no strong evidence to suggest this is the best way forward, we don't have any evidence that current nursery has poor hygiene.

Has anyone else done this or got any experience to share?

Ta

Smee
    Free Member

Yip. We are having the same issue with Connor and Fraser just now. Dawn is going to have a word with them about infection control. Dawn has used her full 2 weeks parental leave in the last 6 months due to the lads getting ill.

I am beginning to think that it is just part of having kids in nursery.

carlosg
    Free Member

From my own experiences it's the norm'. since our son started school we also have the added pressure that if he's off school for more than 10% of term time they're likely to start asking why!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    StirlingCrispin

It's normal.
    Thump (3 1/2)and Thud (1 1/2) go to a child minder. Thump has had three bouts of antibiotics in the last month.
    The doc said the average child gets 11 infections a year, and most of these are in the winter.

It's good for them in the long run…

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds pretty normal to me. Mini clubber was off just a couple of weeks ago with hand, foot and mouth which tends to spread like wildfire.

CHB

It's normal and as said above, its good for them in the long term.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stirling crispin – thump and thud real names ?

sc-xc

Really, very normal. It does your head in, but it is the reality.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

it's normal. children get viruses! you will cause more harm by moving them!

duntstick
    Free Member

I'm one of six, if we had mumps(etc.) we were put in bed together so we all got it. In the Uk as an adult | felt like I was never ill. I now live abroad and believe me my GF and I have a whole new set of bugs to contend with.

nickc

It's normal, but it's avoidable, don't take your children back to school/nursery until they are clear of infections. Most go round and round because parents take their kids back to school to soon.

he's off school for more than 10% of term time they're likely to start asking why!

Mleh, dog bites man. It's not really surprising that a school wants a child to be there is it? Bear in mind the impact on the child, the rest of class, the teacher's time and on and on trying to catch up with kids who've been off…

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

great i work in the health service . if all nhs staff all kept our kids off school nursery etc til they are clear from bugs and stayed at home with them the system would collapse!

obviously if your kid is really unwell/vomiting etc then you have to keep them at home, but if they have the sniffles there is no need to lock them at home. it also gives them the message that they should give up as soon as they are not feeling 100%

Bushwacked
    Free Member

If this is normal then our kids are normal too.

My youngest gets more ill than my oldest did, but put it down to her having a less developed immune system and having nursery and school bugs to contend with.

paul4stones

Completely normal in my experience too. I remember being told there are something like 35 viruses in general circulation that young children need to be exposed to. Viral things don't go round and round, once you've had that one that's it.

I'm a dentist and the first year or so after qualifying was the same – loads of new bugs. Then it settles down, then you have children and start all over again! The marvel is that we constantly get better again, thank goodness.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Yep perfectly normal, Mrs PD works in a pre school and there have been loads of bug doing the rounds and Little PD has had the lot,the only unusual thing this year is that I have ended up with most of them and had loads of time off work all thought the worst one this year apart from when all three of us were fighting for the throne to throw up was Kin Head lice never felt so unclean ever.

tinribz
    Free Member

When they get older they start bringing new ones back from school and pass them on to you. Something to look forward to.

mrchrispy

Halsworth pickledon the 4th keeps steaming up the bubble we keep him in….is this normal?

🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ill children, should we change nursery?’ is closed to new replies.