Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ile D'Oleron
  • peeblesmamil
    Free Member

I’m going on holiday to Ile D’Oleron in July and can’t decide which bike to take. There are about 100km of cycle paths on the island, but I can’t find anywhere whether these are Tarmac/metalled. As the island is flat, I’ve ruled out my mountain bike, but I’m not sure if it should be road bike or old cyclocross. anyone any Idea?

manton69

Lots of roads and gravel tracks. Flat as a pancake and the traffic can get a bit sticky in some of the junctions. I went early in the morning an it was great. There are also a lot of segregated cycle paths, but hey are a lot slower with people pottering around on them. Hope that helps.

ade9933
    Free Member

The roads are stunning, not hilly but the Tarmac is slick, smooth snd fast. However cycling to beach is also good and ability to tow a trailer with beach crap is useful.

Cycle paths are road bike friendly too.

FOG

We only took the kids bikes when we went and hired some Dutch style clunkers for me and Mrs F. They were fine for the cycle paths which can be very busy with people not sure what side to ride or pass on.
    The kids initially took the pee out of our hire steeds but soon started to ride them everywhere which was a nuisance as their bikes were far too small for us!

pondo

We loved Oleron, mostly tarmac with some gravelly bits, and remember to cycle on the wrong side.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ile D'Oleron’ is closed to new replies.