Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ikea Metod kitchen with non-ikea semi-integrated dishwaher?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Has anybody fitted a Metod kitchen without using an ikea branded dishwasher?

Looking around online, there’s a common problem due to the doors being 800mm tall in that if you have the dishwasher at the normal height (butted up to the underside of the worktop) then the overhang at the bottom of the door is too great and it hits the dishwasher before you can fully open the door.

Currently considering solutions.

The official ikea one is to have the bottom 200mm of the door made from a drawer front which hinges as the dishwasher opens.

I dont really want that as it’ll look wierd, thinking of installing the dishwasher low enough that the overhang at the bottom of the door isn’t a problem, then put some wood under the worktop to take up the gap and to give something to attach the top of the dishwasher to.

Anybody come across this before?

marvinpines
    Free Member

We did this last year. It’s a right faff but IKEA do a fancy sliding door mechanism that only the in-store ‘experts’ know about. It’s hard to get hold of and the first one broke after a couple of weeks but I suspect the builders didn’t fit it correctly. The replacement, which was out of stock for three months, has survived the last nine months (fitted by me) but don’t drop the door – let it down slowly. The biggest problem we had is that it hinges off the two adjacent units and our (Bosch) dishwasher is next to the washing machine which just has a door and no carcass. We bodged a panel together using a decor panel. The dishy is a fully-integrated one which may render all of the above meaningless…

HTH

Mark

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah what he said ^^^

You need the Ikea Behjalplig. No I didn’t just mash the keyboard, that’s what it’s called. We had to have it specially ordered.

We still had to adapt it to fit our smeg dishwasher, and there was a LOT of measuring, marking, triple checking, manufacturing of spacers etc. but it did work and has been ok for 18 months now.

P.S. The way it works is the door is mounted on sliding rails, so as you open it the door moves up thereby avoiding the plinth. Quite clever really.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Aha.

A bit more research of Behjalplig (and use of google translate) confirms thats what we need.

Now, just need to get hold of one!

Thanks.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Spoke to Ikea, the Behjalplig is out of stock till October.

Might have to go with plan B then.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah we had to wait a while too. Don’t know what the script is. Apparently they get snapped up very quickly when available, but Ikea don’t make enough. I guess they’re trying to push their own appliances.

iainc

I happen to be working from home today and sitting in my kitchen. It’s an Ikea one, with same setup. We have the door that slides as it opens, have just mailed you pics of it 🙂

Ours came with the kitchen and simply attaches to the front of the dishwasher at the top and with cantilevered hinges at the bottom – dead simple

mrjmt
    Free Member

Thanks Iain!

I’ll have a think about whether I can cobble together something similar, or whether I should just wait till October for the proper kit.

iainc

no problem 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ikea Metod kitchen with non-ikea semi-integrated dishwaher?’ is closed to new replies.