Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • iiiiiiiits Bivvy Time!
  • 40mpg

Finally cool enough to hit the woods tonight, first one this autumn. Bike’s loaded, bags packed, and i’ve got my dinky stove from go-outdoors so I can have a luxurious breakfast of instant coffee and a tin of beans & sausages!

Look out for strange lights on the hills above Winchester 😀

Can’t wait!

cynic-al
    Free Member

beans and sausages 3/10.

Otherwise have a great time 😛

40mpg

I’m new to camp cuisine. Any better suggestions?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered why bivving season only starts at this time of year? What is wrong with all year round?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Early darkness & less tourists so is good for stealth camping,
    Less nasty bitey flies (more of a problem oop north and scotchland I gather)
    Chance to show off all that 4 season lightweight kit

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Makes a lot of sense, cheers hilldodgeer.

Pyro

Might head out up above Otley tonight, sneaky bivvy to get an early start/sunrise pics before shooting a paddling event.

cynic-al
    Free Member

croissant/pain au chocolat revitalised over the flame?

Bacon and eggs (messy but you can clean it at home)?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’m new to camp cuisine. Any better suggestions?

anything from

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/ProductsByCategory.aspx?CatID=1

and

http://www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/cereals-grains/mixed-grains/

Neither require fridging amd both can be boileded in the bag in a few minutes then use the water for your brew 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Finally cool enough to hit the woods tonight, first one this autumn

Don’t really understand why it’s temp related but have a great time anyway. Biting cold wind here though.

bloodynora
    Free Member

+1 for those ‘Look what we Found’ meals

headfirst
    Free Member

Those “look what…” meals look yummy are they a decent portion size?

binners

Have fun. One of our mob found these on our last Bivvi. I’ll see your tin of beans & sausages, and raise you….

😀

Tiger6791

Ace! we need photos on Monday

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Where abouts are you planning on sleeping, 40mpg?
    As a Winchester local, it’ll be good to know!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Headfirst- Those ‘Look What….’ meals are really tasty and filled me up but I wouldn’t say they’re overly massive portions. I guess it depends weather your happy to have them on their own (which I was) or maybe with some pasta. Definitely recommend them though

d45yth
    Free Member

Have a look on Bike and Bivi for ideas on food and anything else bivi related.
    You can find out what I make myself if you scroll down to about half way on here. 😀

benslow
    Free Member

Lucky bugger ….

Share some snaps on your return.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The LWWF meals are good if you get the ones that are without the added pasta/rice and add a pouch of boil in the bag rice/lentils/mixed grains or some instant noodles,pitta breads etc.

The chilli one with a pouch of those Merchant Gourmet mixed grains and some cake/muesli bars/malt loaf with your coffee does me.

dobo
    Free Member

hmm im curious to know where you bivvy around winch area, wouldnt expect you to say on the forum though. one day i’ll kit up and give it a go.

I was genuinely wondering though if you take a small light to stealth camp or take a couple of thousand lumens bike light like everyone seems to own on these forums 😉

d45yth
    Free Member

Some one once told me to use a disposable paper or plastic cup as a diffuser if your lights are too bright. I think I’d be a bit wary of a fire or getting molten plastic over my lights though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Exposure sell a diffuser dome for the smaller power models, personally I use a cheap AA headlight and a small pound shop type torch for camp use, prefer to keep my bike and camp lighting separate.

Update on the pouch foods – the chilli is 290 cals, the mixed grains 550 so quite a good munch, add cakes etc and you’re well away. Breakfast is usually Oats so Simple plus a sachet or two of jam/honey.

If you don’t want the chore of panwashing, there’s enough room in the grains to pour in the chilli and eat from the pouch.

Lunch from pub/caff/burger van etc….

40mpg

Left at 5pm, met up with various others on the way, had a hearty meal at the Fox & Hounds at Crawley, followed by too many drinks and banter with a London couple who didnt believe we were kipping in the woods until I showed them my tin of sausage and beans!

Then back down to West Wood for sleep – except my mat had dropped off the bike earlier so I had to go back over Farleigh Mount to find it (it was right at the bottom of course), then back over again to get back to the others. Finally got to bed about 2am.

A little too chilly for my ancient sleeping bag so didnt really get any sleep, but the beans and sausages for breakfast got me going for the 2 hour ride home. Ace night but feeling a little jaded now (no, I haven’t had a kip this afternoon!)

PB261078 by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

More pics here

dobo
    Free Member

How funny is that, i had a meal in the fox and hounds last night with the missues and rode through farley today as well. good pics

d45yth
    Free Member

Good stuff! I need to get a warmer sleeping bag too! 😀

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Really fancy trying out a bivvy ride !

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘iiiiiiiits Bivvy Time!’ is closed to new replies.