Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • IFS reckon child poverty set to rise in UK
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

This alongside all the issues with understaffing in prisons due to privatisation, social care for the elderly in an appalling state, disability benefits being cut again etc.

The Tories really do know how to look after everyone don’t they… 🙄

T1000
    Free Member

the gov could try the same lazy failed approach that took place under Blair/brown and throw money at people… or do something that governments in the U.K. Have collectively failed to do for many decades and undertake a long term programme of home building and drive down the cost of housing. To resolve the direct and indirect costs of housing on those struggling to make ends meet.

maccruiskeen

They have to appeal to a little knot of spiteful, selfish, angry people to hold on to power. The language surrounding all their policies around welfare, social care and public services is designed to arouse people who want to see others suffer. They want the prisons to be underfunded because they want to see prisoners suffer. They want benefits and welfare to be cut because they want see the hurt. Thats led to us having system of welfare peppered with sanctions and punishments. A system of care that is punitive. Lets make the safety net out of barbed wire so nobody who falls in there gets to comfortable.

When it turns out these cuts in resource are a false economy and delivering poorer services results in higher costs to the taxpayer this little ball of nasty people don’t care – its money well spent if they get the revel in the misery.

Thats not the say these are things that all tory politicians, party members or voters want- but its the support of these people the party and its voters needs to have the power to do the things they do want. So they have to feed these people with the misery of others and look the other way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrJ

This can’t be true – everyone knows that there is no austerity and the Tories are giving out money hand over fist to needy people. THM has the statistics to prove it.

br
    Free Member

This can’t be true – everyone knows that there is no austerity and the Tories are giving out money hand over fist to needy people.

Two different issues, austerity (not IMO, look at our ballooning debt)and giving out to needy people (we’re spending lots, but where is it going?).

johnners
    Free Member

undertake a long term programme of home building and drive down the cost of housing

Bit rash when our economy is so dependent on retail activity and much of that is underwritten by the increases in the price of existing housing stock.

Which is owned by voters who are keener to retain their position at the expense of their own children’s prospects than to support increases in affordable housing.

DrJ

Two different issues

Indeed – but conveniently conflated by some who would would use the lack of austerity (with statistics) to seek to show that the Tories are not the nasty party.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

What I find unsettling is that at the same time as the most vulnerable being forecasted to suffer more, the pensioners are going to be 8% better off. Yes, pensioners are vulnerable too but many already have a very good pension pot.

Any coincedence that the groups of people who keep the Tories in power are seeing better living standards, whilst the most vulnerable are made to suffer?

Inequality is rife in this country.

anagallis_arvensis

we’re spending lots, but where is it going

Better off pensioners

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t worry b r , it’s just the Dr talking nonsense to try to score a point. Jambas must be away today.

Talk about conflating points!

Northwind

Don’t worry, someone’ll be along in a moment to say that inequality is less than it was in 1066, and that poverty isn’t an absolute measure, so it’s all fine.

matt_outandabout

The Tories really do know how to look after everyone don’t they…

I would argue that is too simplistic a reasoning – although I do think they have contributed to some of the most vulnerable suffering more. Let us not forget how much of a screwed up, debt laden economy we have that does not make enough things, doesn’t export enough, relies on all sorts of subsidies, deals and odd-ball ways of doing things at a macro and micro level.

Inequality is rife in this country.

This. And this is where Tory policy still supports their best mates and big business above other issues.

I still maintain that one of the best things we could do as a country is move the investment and development focus further north. The SE benefits from the London Gravity, at the cost of other areas. Housing would be cheaper, jobs would be more spread, travel less strained, public services spread out etc

oldtalent
    Free Member

Cant feed em, dont breed em.
    I blame the parents.

johnners
    Free Member

Better off pensioners

Some of it goes to maintain the triple lock. That needs to be dropped, perhaps in favour of pegging the state pension to CPI inflation. It’ll need all-party support though, as whoever breaks ranks first will get slaughtered at the polls. Although with their current performance, maybe Labour has least to lose and could “take one for the team”!

I blame the parents.

That’s a pretty repugnant slogan. How about “Blame the parents, punish the kids”, it doesn’t rhyme but it’s more honest.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I blame the parents.

Interesting comment from someone who doesn’t have children. I guess you wouldn’t understand how the issues may arise that put children into poverty and hence the words you wrote above.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘IFS reckon child poverty set to rise in UK’ is closed to new replies.