Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • If Zwift and Suggerfest don't do Android… what does…?!
  • ssmith1979
    Free Member

As above.

Want to use Android tab with Bluetooth HRM and Speed/Cadence Sensor but only have Android tablet. Laptop too old/useless so needs to be Android based…?

Assistance appreciated! Thanks.

jam-bo

trainerroad has an android app I think.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Thanks. Is it any good? Will it link with Strava etc?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Trainerroad does have a new android app. Check your tablet can run it and your sensors before getting too excited though

Rubber_Buccaneer

It is good for giving you a workout to follow and yes it does link to Strava.

It is nothing like Zwift

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Just had a look at Trainerroad. Looks much more techy/dull than I’m looking for – I like the idea of the video based approach of Zwift/Sufferfest. Can’t believe they don’t support Android!

Any other options?

TiRed

I’d buy a used cheap iOS tablet to be honest. I already have most of the Sufferfest videos on my Blackberry Playbook from before they went to subscription. The videos, with linking to HR cadence and speed via bluetooth, however, are so good, and the company very decent, that I don’t resent my subscription, nor running them on the ipad mini that I bought especially.

As a Blackberry Passport user, I am the last in line of the iOS fanbois, but sometimes you just have to swallow your pride.

Sufferfest is much more enjoyable than Zwift, and Trainerroad is just miserable.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Agree Trainerroad looks miserable.

Sounds like this might be excuse required to update laptop then. Seemed like such a cheap idea at the start…!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Trainerroad is just miserable

Agree Trainerroad looks miserable.

I don’t think you two have fully embraced turbo training 🙂 How do you think Sufferfest got it’s name? 🙂

jam-bo

Can’t believe they don’t support Android!

when you need to do hardware interaction, developing in iOS is considerably more straightforward as its a much more controlled environment.

trainerroad launched onto iOS first, android app was 18 months later at least.

iOS Zwift app has only just been released. I’m sure there is a android app in the pipeline but quite a way back I would have thought.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m sure I read Android version was in the works, but when I don’t know.

Can’t believe they don’t support Android!

The problem is the significant difference in devices running Android, all Apple Devices are high end, whereas Android has a very broad spread, so trying to get a very resource intensive app like Zwift to work on a big enough range of Android devices is not easy. I’m a staunch Android user, even I can sympathise with their reasons!

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t buy too old an ipad, my ipad doesn’t seem to support zwift which is a shame. So I use trainerroad.

Trainerroad isn’t miserable, it is different. You do something else for entertainment with trainerroad. I have a 32″ TV, ps3 amazon prime and a sonos to cover the entertainment elements.

Sufferfest is rather good too, I have the old dvds. Does the subscription version control smart trainers?

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Interesting on Android issues – thanks for the info.

TiRed

Sufferfest keeps me going for two hrs with its humour. I don’t think it controls smart trainers, my longest sessions have been on a spinning bike with manual resistance.

I think the resistance thing is moot anyway if you use gears. You just find a gear that gives a comfortable cadence. The manual spinning bike with fixed transmission means you can’t cheat.

Oh and an iPad mini is a bit too small for poor eyes in a dim garage. I haven’t mirrored it on my 108″ screen yet due to the problem of moisture on the carpet!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can run the sufferfest vids behind trailer Road, problem is you can see the bonus interval coming….

meeeee
    Free Member

You don’t always need a fancy laptop for zwift, I’m running it at high 1080 resolution on a £200 aldi laptop i3 4010u 4GB ram and it’s fine.

It did get a bit jerky one ride when there was loads of other riders on screen same time as me but if I drop the resolution to 720 it was smooth again.

Graphics are nice but when you’re working hard I don’t really notice much difference between 720 and 1080 resolution.

Unless your laptop is ancient maybe just try it with zwift?

oysterkite
    Free Member

Sufferfest controls smart trainers (ergo mode) , I run it on windows, works pretty well. You can also download the vids if internet connection is an issue where you are training

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘If Zwift and Suggerfest don't do Android… what does…?!’ is closed to new replies.