Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • If you won at the UCI World DH would you sing the national anthem?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Just seen this conversation:

“@Taylor5084: Just watched @StevePeat episode 2. Must say @gee_atherton pissed me off not singing the national anthem #dickhead” good.

I don’t see any issues with not singing, do footballers sing, did many athletes sing when they won a gold at the Olympics?

I think it must be a bit strange stood there next to ratboy giggling away having the anthem played to you.

Is it a bit OTT for such an event, maybe they should just do a speech instead.

chvck
    Free Member

No, I don’t know it for a start.

scaled
    Free Member

Nor does Ratboy 😀

Did strike me as strange that Gee not singing was more offensive than Bryce murdering it in a blatant pisstake

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sing a song about a god I dont believe in to an institution/monarch i dont support …not **** likely.

Jamie
    Free Member

Up to the individual.

I do hope the toolbox who said:

People, me almost included fought and died for this country.

…realised that they fought and died for people to have that choice.

darrenspink
    Free Member

And what exactly has the queen got to do with him wining anyway? If she was the ‘master queen of downhill racing’ fair enough like.

buck53

Nope, I have no interest in asking an imaginary man in the sky to keep an eye on the unelected ruler/leech assigned to me, via the medium of song. If the song was about Britain I might have a little sing.

Milkie
    Free Member

Nor Gee, He looks a barrel of laughs. 😯

http://youtu.be/hq1pTfCecDg?t=17m28s

WackoAK
    Free Member

Sing a song about a god I dont believe in to an institution/monarch i dont support …not **** likely.

This. National anthems are just jingoism.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t care if anyone sings or not, but that clip in the vid where ratboy (with more than a hint of mischief in his eye) asks Gee “you going to sing, bro?” was marvellous. Gee doesn’t know what to say, Josh just looks at the camera with a smirk. Naughty Ratboy.
    The swiss/austrian(?) fan being interviewed was also very funny.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes, absolutely no doubt

Some don’t sing it as they find it too emotional and are worried about breaking down and some especially before a match where you are trying to remain focused and become overwhelmed.

I have heard some funny stories about athletes learning the anthem after winning a gold unexpectedly.

lilchris
    Free Member

What would Danny Hart do?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

blah blah blah… injured squadies telling us what we all have to think and how to act… bore off

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m not too fussed really – its not something that seems huge in cycling anyhow unlike in Rugby where the anthem is all part of the build up.

Ratboy was ace though – made me laugh. Gee does look like a bit of a grumpy so and so though.

slackalice
    Free Member

TBH, if I won at a UCI world DH, I would be getting on with the groupies as quickly as I rode down the mountain. No time for nationalistic pride, its all about me and the chicks 8)

mindmap3
    Free Member

If Ratboy sung it, you wouldn’t be able to work the words out anyhow!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

buck53 – nice

the national anthem does seem a bit redundant apart from a few lines here and there

hora
    Free Member

No I would hold up my few hundred winners cheque and mouth ‘what the ****’

Leku
    Free Member

I’d sing the Spanish national anthem. It has much better lyrics.

Northwind

I’d get them to play my own national anthem, the cantina bar theme from Star Wars.

But-

mindmap3 – Member

If Ratboy sung it, you wouldn’t be able to work the words out anyhow!

I’d pay money to hear that. A British 1-2-3 with Gee and Danny Hart too. Ratboy, a man whose every word sounds like 2 cats shagging. From Danny, the entire song sung with one note, E flat. And Gee replacing every adjective with “gnarly”. That’s a modern britishness I could get behind

AlexSimon

I’d pay money to hear that.

You don’t need to pay – the footage is on the latest Steve Peat video, released today.

almightydutch
    Free Member

God save…err hang on a minute. NO!

The Monarchy costs us a fortune and that mythical figure people worship is just that, mythical.

andytherocketeer

I would, if it were Jerusalem.
    Can we have that one, please, when it becomes the disUnited Kingdom?

scaled
    Free Member

Ratboy national anthem

mrhoppy

It’s not something I’m likely to have to worry about for some time. Can’t say people singing or not overly bothers me though.

fathomer

Junkyard – lazarus
    Sing a song about a god I dont believe in to an institution/monarch i dont support …not ****

Couldn’t agree more!

DezB
    Free Member

How can anyone not know the words though?! LIARS!

Do you represent your country at the UCI world cup or just yourself as an individual?

iolo
    Free Member

There’s no wonder he’s not singing.
    The Atherton’s are now Welsh and he refused to sing unless they played “Hen Wlad fy nhadau”.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do you represent your country at the UCI world cup or just yourself as an individual?

Team innit?
    I was a bit surprised when they played the anthems, maybe a UCI compliance thing?

tomhoward

The Monarchy costs us a fortune contributes more than they cost and that mythical figure people worship is just that, mythical.

Ftfy

Given that without the monarchy we would probably be saddled with some sort of president, and that president would probably be someone like Tony Blair, I’d be singing God save the Queen!

Though AndytheRocketeer is right, Jerusalem would make a better anthem than that awful dirge.

D0NK

The Monarchy costs us a fortune contributes more than they cost

the actual people or just the buildings and the weird tradition/pomp bollocks that surrounds them? pretty sure we could keep the money earning stuff without having the accident of birth individuals there to smile, wave and ask “so what do you do?”

(and make sexist/racist gaffs, try to influence politics, appear naked or inappropriately dressed or any of the other fun stuff they occasionally do)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Were they racing in a UK jersey representing the country? If so then it is a matter of good manners. You want to represent the country then you show some respect. Not inclined to do so for personal reasons? Don’t represent the country.
    The trouble nowadays is that people want the rights and glory without the responsibility.
    Your political views are irrelevant.
    If it was a commercial event however with no “pride” at stake then the national anthem is not needed.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

This!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Jerusalem would make a better anthem than that awful dirge.

Forget Jerusalem – the tune rather than Blake’s preface to Milton – I want Motorhead to write us a proper national anthem.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes mine are but yours are so important that you can impose them on me 😕

Leku
    Free Member

Given that without the monarchy we would probably be saddled with some sort of president, and that president would probably be someone like Tony Blair, I’d be singing God save the Queen!

Or maybe we would have had someone like Mo Mowlen?

proutster
    Free Member

STW regulars in “chance to show how right-on they are” shocker…

buck53

In that case, then, so are yours. Certainly to whether or not I’d sing the anthem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘If you won at the UCI World DH would you sing the national anthem?’ is closed to new replies.