Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • If you were to meet Graham Obree what would you ask him?
  • Pook

I might be meeting him in a bit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He’s as mad as a box of frogs (but in a great way) and IME, it won’t matter what you ask him, as he’ll have decided what he wants to talk about beforehand.

Me, I’d hazard a wee question of what his next plans are.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would you rather fight one horse sized duck, or a hundred duck sized horses?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Ask him what his position on Brexit is 😆

jobro
    Free Member

Ask him how he washes his clothes now.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Ask him what’s he cooking next – assuming he’s got any pots left

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Edit. For reasons of good taste. I rate the guy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I might be meeting him in a bit.

I met him about a month ago on my commute home. I say met, I chased him down for about a mile, caught him then we chatted the rest of the way home. He doesn’t like being passed 🙂

So ask him how he feels when someone passes him on their commute home 🙂

BigJohn

Can I buy you a drink? And can I tell you how much you are loved by the STW forumites?

Merak

I can’t help but feel he’s missed out. He spoke recently about not taking money from an energy drinks provider because he didn’t believe in it.

I clearly have the morals of an alley cat but I’d be taking the money. He’s not exactly living the high life in a flat in Kilmarnock. (No offense Kilmarnock)
    He was selling posters from The Flying Scotsman for £10 or £20 if he signed it.

It’s quite a juxtaposition when you look at Chris Boardman and the success he has enjoyed after his career. I’ve no doubt Graham Obree is his own man but as much as that worked for him when he was riding he could have taken some sage advice after his riding days were over, maybe he would be where I believe he should be, with a brand of bikes bearing his name, commentating on Eurosport and not having to be a public speaker, hawking 20 year old posters to make ends meet.

There’s not even one poster of him in the Sir Chris Hoy velodrome.

The only hour record holder we (Scotland)are ever likely to produce.

iainc

Lat time I asked him why he was stuffing his pockets full of cakes…. 🙂

Nobrains may recall, at a Sprockets Genesis launch night !

iainc

I met him about a month ago on my commute home. I say met, I chased him down for about a mile, caught him then we chatted the rest of the way home. He doesn’t like being passed

I recall almost exactly the same scenario with you Gary 🙂

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d ask him for a go on that prone bike. Looked awesome!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I recall almost exactly the same scenario with you Gary

Obree was a bit harder to catch 🙂

He’s not exactly living the high life in a flat in Kilmarnock

And not a very nice part of Kilmarnock, still I guess if you’re brought up in Galston then Killi must be like Vegas. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can’t help but feel he’s missed out. He spoke recently about not taking money from an energy drinks provider because he didn’t believe in it.

Had this conversation with a mate a few times, I genuinely don’t think he’d do much different if he had his time again.

Aye, agreed, that is sad indeed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And not a very nice part of Kilmarnock, still I guess if you’re brought up in Galston then Killi must be like Vegas.

All about perception, I’d far rather stay in Galston than the Scheme!… :mrgreen:

footflaps

I say met, I chased him down for about a mile, caught him then we chatted the rest of the way home. He doesn’t like being passed

I hope you half wheeled him all the way 😉

jamiep
    Free Member

Merak – Member

I clearly have the morals of an alley cat but I’d be taking the money. He’s not exactly living the high life in a flat in Kilmarnock. (No offense Kilmarnock)
    He was selling posters from The Flying Scotsman for £10 or £20 if he signed it.

It’s quite a juxtaposition when you look at Chris Boardman and the success he has enjoyed after his career. I’ve no doubt Graham Obree is his own man but as much as that worked for him when he was riding he could have taken some sage advice after his riding days were over, maybe he would be where I believe he should be, with a brand of bikes bearing his name, commentating on Eurosport and not having to be a public speaker, hawking 20 year old posters to make ends meet.

I saw him at the Edinburgh Festival, bought his wife’s book and a signed poster off him afterwards. He spent a while chatting to everyone who did such that the queue was backing up. What a wonderful man.

If you do have the opportunity, please could you ask this? I was wanting to but had the queue behind me so moved on to give others a chance too. In the talk he was asked what motived him to go for the hour, continue despite superman rule changes, etc, etc, despite the knockbacks and he said [paraphrased] “fear, fear of failing, fear of others seeing me fail”. Please could you explore this?

jamiep
    Free Member

And not a very nice part of Kilmarnock, still I guess if you’re brought up in Galston then Killi must be like Vegas.

He said that he chose the exact street he lives at because of the perfect location (in his eyes) to the riding that he wants access to

Caher

29 or 26 – what’s your favorite length of snake.

jamiep
    Free Member

Me, I’d hazard a wee question of what his next plans are.

building a new beastie, to mark 25 years and then draw a line under it and move on to realising the various inventions he’s been thinking up over the years

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d ask him if he knows Marvin and was he sad when he heard that Bullet had lost a leg?

fasthaggis

I would say “Hello Graham,it’s a real pleasure to meet you,how are things?”.
    The man has been through some very tough times and I would hope his answer would be(with a smile) “Great thanks,I am just planning to…

jimdubleyou

I’d ask him if he’d build me a bike 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d ask him if he knows Marvin and was he sad when he heard that Bullet had lost a leg?

😆

“fear, fear of failing, fear of others seeing me fail”. Please could you explore this?

I wouldn’t be asking someone who has been through the personal issues and subsequent psychological problems that he has suffered this type of thing.

Fasthaggis is bang on.

Gary_M
    Free Member

He said that he chose the exact street he lives at because of the perfect location (in his eyes) to the riding that he wants access to

Aye right 🙂

I would say “Hello Graham,it’s a real pleasure to meet you,how are things?”.

That’s pretty much what I said, although I think it might have been ‘it’s a pleasure to catch you after chasing you for a mile’ 🙂

I hope you half wheeled him all the way

No but I did pass him again just as I was turning off for home 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Tea or coffee Graham? Then hopefully have a chat.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ask him what he uses to wash his clothes

Pook

I said, ‘chocolate cake or frangipan?’ first as I had the knife and then had a coffee with him. Fascinating bloke. Very positive and very grateful with everyone around him, also clearly very focused.intensely so. Nice occasion that.

darrell
    Free Member

ask him if he needs any help with his next daft idea and get involved

philjunior
    Free Member

I did a few years back and asked him an obscure question about aerodynamics. Specifically whether beastie used any standard aero sections. It didn’t, just as small and smooth as possible.

BoardinBob

perchypanther – Member
    I’d ask him if he knows Marvin and was he sad when he heard that Bullet had lost a leg

I went to school with marvin. Some lad

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve met Graeme Obree. I asked him if he felt bad when he saw Chris Boardman getting money, fame and success on the continent while his own short pro career famously ended in disaster.

His answer was highly generous, honest and reflective. Because that’s what Graeme is like. Then he posed for a photo with me, gave me his address in Kilmarnock, and buggered off 🙂

That man is a true diamond.

Oh and if you want an interesting story, ask Graeme about doping.

iainc

I have met him a few times, as posted earlier. First occasion was on the Paisley Lance Armstrong ride out, which must have been around 10 years ago. I was busting a gut to keep up and Graeme was just coasting along with a massive chainring. We had a few sentences but I could hardly get the breath to speak 😀

eddie11
    Free Member

He’s a star and he doesn’t know it. His books brilliant. He has achieved so many things in his life both because and despite his mental health. I’ve had the pleasure of an evening in his company. All the respect in the world for him..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was busting a gut to keep up and Graeme was just coasting along with a massive chainring

Reminded me, years ago he told me he used to do hill reps on dundonald hill, it’s not big hill, just a wee lump near the coast with a steepish road up either side from dundonald to troon.

He reckoned he did it on a 60t chainring singlespeed, and kept going back and forward up both sides til he couped over.

Incredible.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

I’d ask him which washing machine I need to buy that comes with campag internals in it.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘If you were to meet Graham Obree what would you ask him?’ is closed to new replies.