Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • If you were buying audax / winter training wheels….
  • DT78
    Free Member

what would they be?

my winter project is underway a 2013 genesis equilibrium. Initial plan is to use my existing RS31’s but once I get some cash together to replace with something more in keeping.

Anything else to consider than Rose 105/open pro at £150. Only option appears to be 36 spoke which I think maybe overkill for me at 72kg.

Plan to do LEJOG on these wheels so need to be reliable. I would also like light if possible as its a long way to drag heavy wheels.

Other option that is interesting me at the moment is spa cycles 105/h sons for £238.

Oh, and rim needs to be silver

MoreCashThanDash

Mates have Spa bikes and/or wheels and are happy with them.

Personally I plan on my next road wheels having dynamo hubs as my audax rides are getting longer….

LardLover
    Free Member

Shimano or Campag?

I may have a pair of Hope Pro III’s on Open Pro CD’s (Campag) for sale soon. Just deciding whether to get my old Chris King Classics built onto some road rims but this will mean having to change to Shimano or SRAM.

mooman
    Free Member

A set of shimano rs10’s served me well on the winter bike. Got about 3yrs out of them before rims wore thin. 0n a set of fulcrum7’s now.
    More than adequate for a winter bike.

DT78
    Free Member

shimano freehub needed (105). I reckon the rs31’s will be fine for some time if I’m honest.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Genesis Equilibrium (disc though) with a pro11 rear and an Exposure front dynamo hub (rebranded Shutter-Precision) with cxp22’s, relatively cheap, lightweight and common enough that bike shops have ’em in stock. Loving the dynamo, no worries about batteries at all, just get on and ride.

Done a 156 mile ride through the night on Wednesday and was completely amazed at how fresh I felt so great choice on the frame!

simondbarnes

Front – SP dynohub with open pro
    Rear – Shimano hub with open pro.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have three sets of Mavic Aksiums on the go, they get swapped around and frequently ridded on dirt tracks, across heaths and through winter mud, very reliable year after year and if you think the hubs need some attention its dead easy to strip and rebuild them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

2nd the Aksiums.£200 with tyres and you can take out the MP3 (crash replacement) for a bit extra.

Hooter
    Free Member

Hope hubs with whatever rim takes your fancy, 28 or 32 hole rims depending if your lejog is self supported or not. I used 32 hole hope/mavic wheels for a minimalist fast touring style March/April lejog, they were faultless for the trip and 1000+ miles of winter training beforehand in mainly terrible weather

robdob
    Free Member

4 spokes hardly make any difference to weight but a lot of difference to strength. Don’t worry about it.

I bought a friend some of the 105/Open pro wheels from Rose and they are a bargain and very well built. So much so I bought an Ultegra/Open pro wheel set from them too and I’ve been very very chuffed with them.

Perfect for lightly loaded touring I’d say.

robdob
    Free Member

Oh nearly forgot – I swapped out a pair of 1600g Planet X wheels for the Ultegra open pro combo and didn’t notice any difference in weight. Yes they are heavier on the scales but the open pro rims are probably a lot lighter than the minimally spoked wheels rims so they probably feel the same. The hubs are heavier but you don’t notice the rotating weight of the hubs as its in the centre of the wheel.

jontykint
    Free Member

You should have been asking this question at least 2 months ago.
    You can’t be asking what to buy for you to build a winter training bike at the end of December.
    If it’s ready by spring I’ll give you a free cassette

trailmoggy
    Free Member

As long as you stick with a hand biuld you can’t really go wrong, if you run shimano the 105 open pro combo seems prefect, I’ve had centuar hubs with opens pro rims for years and years and they weren’t new when I bought them, mine are heavy but in winter I’d trade realibility for weight and speed anyday, especially if you like me you ride at night on unlit roads.

I’d just steer clear of factory built wheels as if you ding a rim they can be hard to find straight away and can be a fortune to replace.

A lot of the lads I ride with seem to like ambrosio hubs with open pro rims, I think they’re be my next wheels for my winter bike

jonba
    Free Member

Personally I’d try and get what I got (that is why I did what I did see?)

Hope hubs (for reliability and ease of service/spares)
    32 spokes (strong enough for mtb, can ride on 31 or 30 if you get breakages)
    Stan’s rims – light although I’d get Mavic open pros as well.

You have two options in my mind. Expensive and easy to rebuild or cheap and easy to replace.

I rode my training wheels in Majorca and Italy as I was nervous about only having one set covering some big miles and wanted the stronger ones. Didn’t slow me down much to be honest, didn’t even notice, except that the ride was a bit harsher compared to shimano RS80s.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve got 105 open sport. 105 hubs are perfect.

Next time I’m tempted to try a wider rim: maybe h+ son

DT78
    Free Member

If it’s ready by spring I’ll give you a free cassette

Theres a challenge….as long as the boxes turn up I plan to build it between xmas and new year using my current RS31 wheels till I raise funds for new wheels

This bike is my winter project not just a winter bike, I plan to use it on my longer rides year round

Interested in comments about dynamos, would add a chunk of weight and cash to the build though. I need to do more research as no nowt about them

Are road hope hubs as noisy as mtbs? I can imagine that buzz might be a bit annoying after 8+ hours of riding…

And are ultrega hubs worth an extra £40 over 105s? What is the main difference with the latest ones?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hope road hubs are very loud. THe DT 350s are a good alternative and a bit quieter. Or Ultegra if you don’t mind the extra weight, Shimano hubs roll really well though and are quiet. The only rim worth considering is the Archetype at that price. Don’t bother with Mavic/DT/Velocity/Stans – they’re just not as good.

But Aksiums with tyres for £200 sounds like a good deal to me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TOURING OR HEAVIER RIMS – LAST LONGER

DYNO HUB

DECENT REAR HUB – 105 OR LX AND ABOVE FOR GOOD SEALING

DT COMP SPOKES.

THREAD CLOSED

DAMN CL 😡

Edit rim width makes **** all difference except for looks.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

A dyno hub will add less weight to the full bike than the batteries you have to put on when you’re night riding. I don’t find my Hope hub that bad, it’s an Evo so slightly quieter but realistically how often are you freewheeling on the road? Really never. You can’t argue with the price and quality of Shimano though, just a shame the options for spoke holes are 32/36.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My SP is 3-400gm, aside from the weight factor of batteries, the power and convenience make not having it stupid IMO!

simondbarnes

Building a dynamo wheel for my winter / commuting / wet days bike (853 equilibrium) was the best thing I’ve done. Would like one for my fixie as well.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘If you were buying audax / winter training wheels….’ is closed to new replies.