• This topic has 67 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajr.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • If you was gonna buy a tough bstard full susser, and you was big…………….
  • ton

so, in theory on you bike i could use a 500lb spring???

ianpinder
    Free Member

yup

Daffy

Ton – Nicolai will do you a complete custom frame based on your dimensions and weights which would be built to suite you and your stlye of riding.

the 7’4 chap we ride with had them build a 24.7″ hardtail. I think Moonglu in Rippon sorted it all out for him.

ianpinder
    Free Member

yup, but they dont change the suspension ratio for you, by shoosing something like a am or an st you can alter the ratio and run a lighter spring, according to the tftuned spring calculator you can run a 500lb spring if you weigh 100kg 550lb for 110kg 600 for 120kg 650lb for 130kg etc….

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Just get a Bullit (pre 08)

ianpinder
    Free Member

why?

ton

ian, what size did you get.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

spesh SX, spesh top tubes are long by most standards so should eb good, and not incredibly heavy (i.e. you could put some light wheels and tires on it)?

ianpinder
    Free Member

i am 6ft 4 and bought an xl, however all my height is in my upper body, my inside leg is only 32 inches so i had the seatube shortened so i could get the clearence. the tt is quite long so if your averagely made, i.e. normal proportions then the lg will probably do if its for going downwards. if nothing suits you, you can get the geometry custom to suit you but it does cost you £275 however to get the seatube lowered only cost £75

devs
    Free Member

rearrange these letters to get the bike you require M A D O N.
    With coild DHX and Lyrics or TALAS. Sorted.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Err, why a Bullit?

Didn’t think that one needed explaining tbh;-) Simple, proven, bombpoof, versatile, cheap to buy, cheap to service, pedals well both up and down, can be built up lightish as an all day weapon, can still kick the arse out of fancy Nicolais blah de blah….

Still, it’s all about how it rides to the OP – best get testing 😉

corroded
    Free Member

I’d probably see if someone was selling a large Nicolai Helius FR in the classifieds (ahem) – got an air shock on it but would be better with a coil.

mark_b
    Free Member

but anyone tried a patriot……..

You’ve seen mine at Stainburn a few months ago – i’m 16stone in full riding gear i reckon. Great bike.

Keva
    Free Member

I thought you’d just bought a singlespeed, ton ?

soma_rich
    Free Member

My Kona Coiler is pretty solid, I am no light wieght and have no problem with hammering it. Much Much cheaper then a Nicolai. My old 2007 was less than £400 and I have some serious fun on it 😀

ton

Keva, i did for when i feel mellow
    but i want a bike for when i feel aaaarrrrgggghhhhh…….. 8)

therealhoops
    Free Member

yet another vote for Nicolai. I’ve got a Helius FR from Dec05 which is still going very strong. I’m 6’2″ and peaked about 15st last year. I had to have the BB reemed and sleeved coz HTII is shit and the sloppy arsed shimano cups killed my threads.

any excuse for a pic, watch your eyes I’ve had it resprayed 🙂

therealhoops
    Free Member

keep checking here
    http://www.nicolai-uk.com/index.php/category/special-offers/

and contact Mike/Simon direct for more info

hugorune

Patriot FR

6’3″ & 15 1/2 stone – Coil DHX 3 and 36 Vans and it goes up-hill just fine – thanks very much 😀

Although You’d have to get a 2008 model as they stopped making them last year.

richc
    Free Member

Ton I am sure you know this, you need to find a bike with a leverage ratio of 2.5:1 or less.

If its greater than that you will need to try and track down silly heavy springs, or pump the shock upto 300psi+ which is a pain in the arse, and the shocks just don’t work that well with that much pressure in them.

Personally I went for an Iron Horse 6 point, as it has a leverage ratio of 2.5:1, and used a 150mm spacing rear wheel as they are supposed to be stronger. Plus the DW link isn’t as bobby as 4 bars (or faux bars) which I have owned in the past, and they alway felt like they were stealing my will to live on any climbs due to the bobbing/active suspension.

However as IH have gone bust, I am not sure I would recommend them now, as spares are going to be a bitch.

Other bikes I was thinking of were Knolly Deliriums (its around 10lb frame though), Knolly Endorphin, Transition Covert or Preston as they all are built for the heavier, stronger gentleman 😉

Ones to avoid are Cannondale Prophets, Commencals, Giants and Konas as they are nearly all 3:1 or worse 3:1 which rising rate linkages so they blast through the travel.

hugorune

where do you find out the leverage ratio of the bike’s suspension?

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    ton

nick, what is…….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sorry Tony, dunno what happend there…
    ???

Helius FR 2008, Extra Large, Fire Department Red Gloss/Black ano rear triangle. Unridden but with simpler head tube gusset than the current FR. Offer – £1400

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    jamesca
    Free Member

SC superlight

richc
    Free Member

hugo rune – Member
    where do you find out the leverage ratio of the bike’s suspension?

You can work it out roughly by dividing the travel by the shock stroke length, however you also need to find out if they have done anything funny with the linkages to change the stroke rate.

Basically email the manufacturers and they will tell you, and avoid anything with a 2″ stroke or less shock if you are looking at 5″+ travel 😉

Ton a Transition Preston looks like it might be well worth a look for you, as I doubt you would break it.

ajr
    Free Member

Tony, you should go for the Ventana La Bruja.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘If you was gonna buy a tough bstard full susser, and you was big…………….’ is closed to new replies.