Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • If you wanted a MTB holiday to remember, where would you go?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've not gone on a specific MTB holiday before however I have ridden in some great places (SA, NZ, Greece and Italy) and they've all been great.

I've now set myself a goal of going away next summer for a week to somewhere to specifically ride MTB. I want it to be something that I would remember for a long while.

I'm thinking either Finale Ligura area, Alps or BC. Anyone got some recommendations or comments on these places?

saxabar
    Free Member

Afghanistan?

Kuco

I've found it's the company you go with not the place that makes me remember.

Alphabet

What Kuco said.

I've been to all 3 of your places and BC would be my choice.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Damn you Saxabar. I will just have to suggest Iraq instead then.

scud
    Free Member

For something different what about South America, Peru and Bolivia offer some fantastic riding, did Macchu Piccu with a bike and the Road of Death in Bolivia, 64km of downhill with stunning views.

The people and weather are great too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The woods behind Nationwide in Swindon?

toys19
    Free Member

Management of expectation is what makes the holiday of a a lifetime…

plumber
    Free Member

Riviera bike without a doubt

BC would be waaaayyyy down my list

I've been to both

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Off to California to ride 10 of the top 20 single track (according to an MTB poll) in September – hoping that will be the riding/holiday of a lifetime.

epicsteve
    Free Member

From what I've seen in the mags I reckon it'd have to be somewhere in the US – Moab or Crested Butte or something like that.

ampthill

What epicsteve said

Except I've been to both

and they didn't disapoint

But and its a big but. I had the luxury of a long trip and was really well acclimatised. Anyone loved these places on a 1 week trip

Our first ride in Colorado I really felt the alttitude. We then accilmatised cycling round Boulder and climbing and it was never a problem after that.

Yep lots of good stuff here in CO. Weather has been nice to. Not too long a drive to Moab so can do both in a week or two.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheers, having read the comments I should add that I'm thinking of it in the same way as a skiing holiday – bit of a get away, some beers in the evening and enjoying the downs more than the ups.

Gooner
    Free Member

i have use dboth of these;

http://www.ridebig.com/

for downhill in costa rica
    and

http://www.keadventure.com/activity/002/biking.html

foe x/c in peru and then ecuador and galapagos

would recommend both

qwerty
    Free Member

if you've never seen B I G scenery before then Moab will blow your mind, plus the riding matches it

i've been to moab in the spring time, i wouldn't go in summer

if it was a summer trip then i'd consider Colorado somewhere (Fruita / Crested Butte)

💡 the USA is set up great for a RV roadtrip 💡

neilforrow

Chamonix every time… i have ridden a few of the places listed above… there is a lot of good stuff out there, but nothing comes close to the fun you can have on a bike in Chamonix IMO. good town, as tech trails as you want, the new dh stuff is very good… not far to travel.

got to go there with a like minded group of riders, and book a guide that knows where all the good stuff is.

or the 5 countries tour, or the cham to zermatt epic, haven’t done it, but it is meant to be amazing.

jedi

chamonix rocks!
    bc for a week?? lol

Del.
    Free Member

Bike Verbier…nuff said :o)

Tracey

+1 for Bike Verbier, epic all day rides and hospitality that will take some beating.

Tracey

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hmmm Would love canada but sounds like I'll need more time. So could be looking at the alps maybe.

Ewan
    Free Member

Riveria bike or trail addiction are both ace.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

7 Stanes
    Verbier
    Finale

In no particular order.

Inzane
    Free Member

Gravity Bolivia http://www.gravitybolivia.com/index.php?mod=homeb. Can set you up with awesome trails, awesome scenery, great bikes and a cultural experience that will be very different to Europe.

Dont go for the bog standard rides, ask them to put together a week of single track riding for you.

Costa Rica looks awesome too. 3000m mountains that come right down to Caribbean ocean beaches!!

walleater

BC if you've got at least two weeks and aren't shit on a bike.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hmmm so do I take longer and do something in the americas or stick to Europe?? Thinking probably the later for now.

So, which companies has everyone used, where and what were they like?

pjt201
    Free Member

Anyone actually been cycling in Costa Rica? I'm off there in November for a general holiday but would be good to fit in a couple of days when i'm over there – anyone got any recommendations?

alexxx
    Free Member

The best 2 weeks riding of my life has been road tripping aroun europe, previously I'd done a small season in Morzine but its easy to get into the boring rider trap, last year we did a different location everyday pretty much.

started in morzine, les gets, chatel, swis national in a day – went to morgan then and not in any order…

les du alps
    alp duez
    pila
    crans montana

and other places, the main thing was it helped moving around as you hit the sweet spot of the place in that day have awesome memories then move on and do it again the next

doing it again with different places in 4 weeks! YEE BOII

wl
    Free Member

Verbier with Bike Verbier, in the Swiss Alps. See today's thread. Not sure what style of riding you're after but I guarantee you'll not forget trails like Emerson Dam or Silly Arete in a hurry.

LHS
    Free Member

Just back from Colorado and the weather is fantatic at the moment.

Agree with comments above that a lot of it is down to the company etc.

However in no particular order my top 3 would something like

Colorado – Crested Butte / Boulder / Any of the big resorts
    Les Arcs – Phenomenal riding, check out TrailAddiction – awesome.
    Verbier – Again, great biking, check out Bike Verbier.

alexxx
    Free Member

ah yes we did arc too, it was sweet (only did the dh track) aparently theres loads of riding there tho

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Helmund Province

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Any recommended operators in Cham?

chakaping
    Free Member

The Mountain Biking Europe book is a pretty good read for planning (or fantasising about) this sort of thing.

I want to go to Verbier, Maritime Alps/Italian Riviera, Les Arcs, Chamonix, Northern Spain, Andalucia again… I could go on for quite a bit!

Also considering a trip to Washington state/BC next year – though god knows why when there's so much amazing riding in Europe.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘If you wanted a MTB holiday to remember, where would you go?’ is closed to new replies.