Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • If you thought a Jones was niche
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I cant quite make up my mind. Is it love or not?

http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot.com/2010/08/grab-some-coffee-its-gonna-be-long-one.html
    [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4857282142_a87f4cc6ac_b.jpg[/img]

angryratio
    Free Member

can't deny it's well made.. with cracking attention to detail

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wowty. That fork crown is simply stunning.

coogan
    Free Member

Not for me. Some fine craftmanship but bloody ugly weird wheel sized nichefest. Sure loads on here will love it for that alone…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I like it!

reminds me of this

soobalias
    Free Member

its certainly a shiney thing, but not for me ta.

[hijack] Zed, any news on that bmx? [/hijack]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

it's a copy of a Ward Hawthorne of some year or other. Probably as per the ones ridden by the Cupertino Riders.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

SOOBalis – argh! I knew I had something. Right, I'm home until Monday now so I'll get it boxed up and price postage. I have a box of sorts in the garage I can use and I'll pack it well so nothing goes AWOL.

I'll check postage and email you tomorrow.

Sorry about that

mcmoonter
    Free Member

it's a copy of a Ward Hawthorne of some year or other. Probably as per the ones ridden by the Cupertino Riders

I love the retro revival. Gulf colour scheme is awesome too. Would you ever want to ride something so pretty?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Detailing, beautiful…. colours, likewise….. but overall, did they really need to beat it with every branch of the ugly tree? 😉

oxym0r0n

What bristolbiker said

convert

I wish I could spray like that – but why the frame? I'm a form follows function man through and through (not adverse to pep once the function is nailed) and I'm not getting the function of some of the features here….

clubber
    Free Member

I don't think they beat it with the ugly tree. I reckon it was made from the ugly tree…

IA

They didn't just beat it with the ugly stick, they sprayed it to match and welded it in there! You can see it just below the top tube, which they seem to have had to bend to get ugly-stick access.

IHN

I think it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I like it, apart from the blue ano headset cups which clash with the blue frame. It would be a complete PITA to clean, but somehow I don't think that is the point.

I wouldn't have one, but I like it.

BigJohn

Nastytastic.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Love the attention to detail and all that – but it does look like a forum member cracked his niche IF into a tree, bending one of his top tubes … 😉

niallmb
    Free Member

looks to me as though someone bent their top tube and added an extra tube to strengthen again. why would you design anything to look broken???

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think the Jones is more "different" in design terms than that isn't it?

That's a beautifully-made horrible bicycle, but the frame is conventional bar the ugly and the towel-rail. How much vertical movement do we think the fork's producing?

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Fork crown looks like a Pacenti

If you think that's niche – this'll throw ya …

http://bikepeddlerutah.com/2009/10/youve-got-to-be-kidding/

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well made but…

Two top tubes – why?
    That thing in front of the forks – why?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Correction, 3 top tubes? I prefer Brants idea of just using a bigger one on the 456, I suspect the oversized tube concept will win out over the spaggetti manifesto.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think some folk on here may be missing the point…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think some folk on here may be missing the point…

Yeah, the point is, to have something a bit different, a bit more unique and individual. A bit like having a chromed McLaren Mercedes or a doodled Lamborghini or whatever. I am not sure what mechanical advantages (if any) the extra tubing gives, but the craftsmanship and execution of the idea are superb.

It's a nice old fashioned hybrid bike to cruise down to the pub on or round the park on a Sunday afternoon. A conversation piece more than a simply functional bit of machinery. I like seeing stuff like that. I think it's quite beautiful.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘If you thought a Jones was niche’ is closed to new replies.