Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • If you owned a bike shop………..common courtesy??
  • TooTall
    Free Member

It must be tough being perfect and not finding that perfection in every other human being. What a terrible miscarriage of justice/shame/crime/sorry state of affairs.

18bikes

ton – what you thinking of – I can look at UK stock if you likes?

builds/complete bikes/full custom, we can help…

people do make mistakes, i know for sure that I've missed things before – stickies on the computer helps!

Si

ton

a new chameleon, slx build kit, with either pikes or dual air revs.
    nice sale for a quiet january day. 8)

stratobiker
    Free Member

Might depend on the customer, and if they knew them…..

They might know them well.

I dunno really……..

My LBS are bloody useless at phoning back. It's not cos' they're crap they're just old and can't remember.

SB

dano
    Free Member

ton, do you sell on your old bikes or just stockpile??

dano
    Free Member

MrNutt
    Free Member

Red Planet in Swindon are a good Santa Cruz dealer, hell you could even come round for a coffee and I could dust off me old bike! 😀

18bikes

ton – can't get onto the SC site at the mo, looks like we've left the computer on in the shop, so I can't do emails at the mo either – could you please fire me an email to info@18bikes.co.uk and I'll get onto it ASAP in the morning?

Thanks ,
    Si

ton

si, will do mate. thanks

wellhung
    Free Member

if you owned a bike shop, and someone phoned up with a build list/spec, and a member of your staff talked to the customer, and promised to get back with a price within a couple of hours and never did……….
    as the owner of the shop how would you feel if you found out.

is it common courtesy to get back to the customer??

I'd give the chap the benefit of the doubt he could have written down your phone number only to mislay your phone number/someelse throws away.

Had it happen to years ago gave them a second chance saved a Grand people do make mistakes "To err is Human"

Blurboy
    Free Member

Ton, Bought a couple of Santa Cs from Daventry Leisure Lakes over the past few years…talk to Ian or Mat – always phoned me back and the pricing was good as well!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It's a pet hate of mine, but happens all too often. Every time it happens to me, and it happened today, When someone says "I'll call you back" and they don't, I always think 'you should get their name', but I always forget to do that.

In this case, If it was me, I'd call back and ask to speak to the manager, if he/they weren't then falling overthemselves to apologies and treat me like a king, I'd go elsewhere.
    I'm going to assume this is a Leeds/Summerbridge company, I think they are going through big changes at the moment, so possibly worth a 2nd chance.
    Also, as an employer and manager, personally I also go down tons route of leading by example and training, not thebikechains cattle pod and iron fist, but each to their own.

ojom
    Free Member

Maverickboy… you are way off.

You might have missed my deliberate sarcasm.

Actually a very low staff turnover funnily enough.

ojom
    Free Member

Oh dear. I think people may have missed it entirely.

I think i may be the opposite of cattle prod.

mboy
    Free Member

You might have missed my deliberate sarcasm.

Whilst I think I'm pretty good at picking sarcasm in spoken word, to pick out sarcasm in written word on an internet forum is a LOT harder… Something like 80% of all communication is visual…

Hence I always use a 😉 when I'm being sarcastic…

Fair play though, you know where I'm coming from at least…

brakes
    Free Member

ton, is this a covert way of getting a 'look at me, I'm buying another bike' thread some attention? 😉

I'd give the bloke another chance, it's forgotfulness at worst, hardly bad customer service

druidh
    Free Member

Don't believe him. What he said first is all true….

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm going to stick up for the LBS here.
    Having done a few retail jobs, There's a certain type of 'customer' who's always phoning with detailed elaborate build lists, that take up a lot of your time, yet they rarely if ever buy anything, its all speculation.
    It would be different if the customer was in the shop face to face,or a regular, or it was a small number of parts, of course they should be phoned back ASAP.
    Now, thats unlikely to be you ,Ton, but I used to get very fed up going to a lot of trouble leafing through brochures/pricelists, consulting managers regarding discounts (naturally, these timewasters always expect big discounts)and phoning back only to be told," nahh, mate, I can do better than that mail order!"
    And that's time you could have more valuably spend dealing with customers in shop.

ton

bakes, no mate not at all. i can get a bike when iwant, i don't need to come on here to seek guidance.
    it was a genuine question asking if it was a good or bad trait in a buisness.
    if i owned a business that existed on sales i would be fuming over something like this…
    and for the 2nd time
    ……………….IT IS NOT STIF……………..!!!!!!!

Pieface

Maybe they thought you were just shopping around and CBA to get back, knowing that there'll be a punter round the corner prepared to pay full whack that doesn't know or is bothered to shop around.

There is every possibility that the shop does enough business to not worry about telephone quotes.

I think suggestions of sacking the employee are a bit harsh. Depends how desperate the shop are for business.

Do bike staff get good incentives for converting sales?

brakes
    Free Member

only kidding
    I guess you're front of house yourself so apply your own strict code to treatment of customers which is fair enough
    I'm used to shitty customer service, living in London, I'd be elated that they'd picked up the phone 😮

hora
    Free Member

My day was abit dull- this nobber rings up saying hes looking to spend circa 2k. My job though was to make coffee for the customers, fix punctures and fit new brake pads for customers high-end 5k bikes and this nobber wanted to spend a lowly 2k. So, I get home and Ive just realised I forgot to write his number down. He'll probably call tomorrow.

ton

hora, bad news is, he wont………. 8)

RichPenny
    Free Member

It may be irritating, but people do make mistakes, and circumstances can get in the way of good customer service. As suggested, give them a call to find out what's going on. That's their second chance and if they make a mess of that knowing they've already messed up….

I've done this in the past, I was furious when some service work ended up being hugely more expensive than quoted. Didn't shop there for 2 years. Have since had 2 bikes and loads of kit from them. Ironically, they are actually a really good shop but one issue put me off. A mistake on my part IMO.

Obviously I'm chuffed not to be working with people who think forgetting to make one phone call is a disciplinary offence 🙄

mattsccm
    Free Member

It's annoying but it happens. Having been on the other side of the phone I rarely if eve ask to be called back. It's unfair. If you are faced with a customer in the shop you don't ignore them to make a call. It's hard enough finding the time quite often to do the pricing anyway. You have to have a priority. 1 the person who comes in (and is most likely to actually spend) 2, the person who rings you as is quicker to answer than make the call (but never if face to face with a customer) 3 the call back.
    With a pure mail order set up who promote 2 way calls its fair to expect a call back but otherwise I actually reckon its expecting a lot. Don't get all sanctimonious about the customer being right. Until you spend you are not a customer and you just have to be practical. It just doesn't always work. you can't always assume that the shop has enough bodies to do everything.

mboy
    Free Member

nice sale for a quiet january day.

Bit obnoxious to be quite so presumptious you might say!

How do you know how busy they were or weren't?

Do bike staff get good incentives for converting sales?

None that I've ever known… Hard enough for the bike shop owners making a living in the first place as it's a relatively low margin retail venture compared to most.

Having done a few retail jobs, There's a certain type of 'customer' who's always phoning with detailed elaborate build lists, that take up a lot of your time, yet they rarely if ever buy anything, its all speculation.

Yup, fair enough, I used to get that a bit when I worked in a shop… You've kind of got to expect it though.

To be fair, I've had a job or 2 in the past where I was in charge of spending quite a bit of money for my company, so a bit of time spent on the phone ringing round different suppliers to see if I could save a few quid here or there, was often worthwhile… Certainly wouldn't spend all day doing it, but if 4 or 5 phonecalls in the space of 30 minutes could save me £100, it was certainly worthwhile!

TooTall
    Free Member

Oh dear. I think people may have missed it entirely.

Mark – they did – you missed out a few smiley faces. I read it and thought 'I've only met him once, but that doesn't sound like him, but I can't see sarcasm there'.

I really hope none of you sanctimonious choppers who are galloping through this thread on your high horses ever, ever make a mistake. Not that I think you'd eat humble pie – I just hope you all remain perfect in your perfect worlds.

Goz
    Free Member

How's the job seach going Mark?

cinnamon_girl

Cakes 🙂 You do remember to take those in sometimes don't you?

mboy
    Free Member

How's the job seach going Mark?

More interviews confirmed thanks Pete, so looking up 😀

Cakes You do remember to take those in sometimes don't you?

My kind of customer! 😉

Goz
    Free Member

Good luck mate, see you soon.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Such is the 1 dimension of posting on a forum. He said what he said, you can only reply to what you have to work with, words. When managing people no one is perfect, least of all me. I have base principles I try to manage staff by, but then character and personality come into it and I'm certainly a terrible deligator and not perfect, which has reprecusions. Ruling by an iron fist can be a positive thing and people react positively to different styles of management. Make of my post what you want.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ton, phone Bike Scene in Guisborough (01287 610735) & speak to Craggsy (Andy) tell him Jim the Geordie Yorkshireman sent you!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I wouldnt put it all down to mistakes or forgetting to do it. Maybe the guy was looking forward to getting into it and someone popped in to try a bike,and he ended up selling it.. but had to build it up in another size? throwing him RIGHT off?

Give it until tomorrow and you never know.. you might end up with a build thats top notch and a service you might never have guessed.

hora
    Free Member

You are looking for a reasonable price. You'd give three businesses opportunities to quote wouldnt you?

No one calls just one bikeshop and says 'Ive got £Xk to spend' do they?!

ton

hora, i do mate.
    all the time.
    i can't be arsed messing around trying to get the cheapest price.
    that is why i phoned with a spec and asked them to let me know a price…

luke
    Free Member

Did they read the number back to you? At work we had a few instances of it being written down wrong so now I always read the number back to the caller.
    I also right things down on a notepad by my desk so it's always visable.
    Yesterday I got to work early to ring a customer back, that I'd spoken to on Sat, I'd explained it would be after 9 I called her, but due to it being potentially important I rung her early, to which she replied you don't start work until 9 she was happy I made the effort.

lowey

Everyone makes a mistake or two. Its how the mistake it rectified that dictates how to continue your trading.

If they dont ring you back, then call them and speak to the manager. Base your future decisions on how that goes.

hora
    Free Member

Surely you have mentally owned this chameleon now? time to metaphorically sell it on and look at a new steed?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

For the very reason that I may have been busy I always tell customers to give me a call if they haven't heard back from me within the time I said I'd call. The reasonable ones don't have a problem with this. Management may be the cause of the delay ie shop understaffed, it may not be the fault of the person you spoke to. In a shop I always think its the people that have actually made the effort to go into the shop that deserve to be seen to first, annoys me when you are ignored or treated rudely by staff that are on the phone. I'd phone them back and give them the chance to apologise and find out how they are getting on. Treat them right and they should do right by you.
    All this reminds me of a time when I was trying to get a bleed plug for my Hayes discs. Checked CRC, out of stock, phoned importers who are local and they said they dah them and although they couldn't/wouldn't sort me out, told me that any shop that said they couldn't get them was talking rubbish. This was then what every shop said bar one. I was very pleased especially when the guy said he'd have it in less than a week. they had said he would have to order a complete seal kit but woould just sell me the part i wanted. A week later I went in spoke to somebody else who said they don't do that sort of thing and I should just pay for the whole kit. Inconsistency annoys me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘If you owned a bike shop………..common courtesy??’ is closed to new replies.