Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • If you only watch one set of F1 brakes being bench tested today.
  • wwaswas

Strangely compelling.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWra93NkrHU[/video]

footflaps

Gets hot quickly!

votchy
    Free Member

By the varying colours do they have non uniform contact, some areas appear hotter than others?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

the caliper is a work of art!

tinybits
    Free Member

A friend on mine works for an F1 brake design company, also having worked on German DTM series. I’d have absolutely loved it, all those pit passes he gets offered (he’s not quite senior). He can’t stand motor racing, and only ever goes if he has to. Weirdo.

survivor

1 out of 10… nothing exploded. ..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Those discs dissipate the heat **** quickly!

Klunk
    Free Member

1 out of 10… nothing exploded. ..

visited the old BR brake testing facility in Derby (selling non contact laser measuring probes). We were in a bunker 50 meters from the testing area 🙂 (sadly nothing exploded then either 🙁 ).

bencooper
    Free Member

Pretty. What scares me is that’s not steel getting red hot, it’s carbon.

maxtorque

votchy
    By the varying colours do they have non uniform contact, some areas appear hotter than others?

it’s because the pads are non uniform. The “hard bits” in the pads are held in place by softer organic binders. The hard bits therefore push harder on the disc in those locations and you can see the result on the disc surface. As the pad wears, the loads are redistributed so overall wear is even.

And yes, those calipers are lovely! (the machined fined piston bores are pretty trick 😉

globalti
    Free Member

So the discs are reinforced with carbon fibre, but what’s the substrate? Surely not resin?

P-Jay
    Free Member

The callipers do look amazing, there’s something a little Hope about them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id like to see testing of gordon sheddens brakes from last weeks BTTC round.

his front brakes were litterally spitting flames sideways into corners as he put in the last few places for the championship having driven his way through from 19th on the grid to 3rd.

wwaswas

In an F1 car, though, the same material is used for both disc and pad, and this material is known as carbon-carbon – a significantly different material to the carbon-fibre composites used in the rest of the car. Carbon-carbon is essentially a pure form of carbon and is both extremely light (approx. 50% of the weight of standard materials) and also possesses a higher coefficient of friction at the correct operating temperatures. This peaks at around 0.6, compared to 0.3 for conventional materials.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/technology-explained/f1-2014-explained-brake-systems/

tonyd

For those that have never been I cannot recommend highly enough a trip to the Le Mans 24 hour race. Arnage corner at 3am is spectacular – glowing discs coming into the corner and the blasts of exhaust flame on the way out.

Bit different now there are more diesels but the Aston Martins etc in the GT classes make for quite a show. The diesel LMP class cars swooshing past quietly make for a fairly surreal experience. Must get back there soon.

DrP

This doesn’t answer the question – did they need to drive up and down the street, braking hard, to bed them in?

DrP

pondo

Brembo appear to do it for them using an old hub and an electric drill.

For those that have never been I cannot recommend highly enough a trip to the Le Mans 24 hour race. Arnage corner at 3am is spectacular – glowing discs coming into the corner and the blasts of exhaust flame on the way out.

+1

MrOvershoot

Klunk – Member

visited the old BR brake testing facility in Derby (selling non contact laser measuring probes). We were in a bunker 50 meters from the testing area (sadly nothing exploded then either ).

Do you work for Renishaw’s?

shermer75
    Free Member

A bit thicker than an mtb rotor

Rich_s

Pffft. Them brakes are for pussies…

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/brake-disc-spin-test-0

Klunk
    Free Member

Do you work for Renishaw’s?

I used to work for a Swedish competitor.

Daffy

ARCAM?

ampthill

So that is inside the smooth black cylinder we see during a wheel change?

How do they get air through that thing to cool the brakes?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’d love a set of those calipers on my car…..proper engineered bling!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘If you only watch one set of F1 brakes being bench tested today.’ is closed to new replies.