Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • If you only ever rode north….
  • heavy_rat
    Free Member

would you be riding up hill for the most of it?

Discuss

matt_outandabout

Is it half term?

pondo

Only until you got to the North Pole. Then, if you didn’t turn, you’d be heading south. Which, of course, is downhill.

scotroutes

I wouldn’t. It would be mostly downhill until I hit the sea.

swavis

I wouldn’t. It would be mostly downhill until I hit the sea.

this

Stevet1
    Free Member

Only until you got to the North Pole. Then, if you didn’t turn, you’d be heading south. Which, of course, is downhill.

but the question was only riding North so you’d get to the North pole and then presumably sort of endo hop all around it going nowhere until the next reverse polarity event happens.

nedrapier

Nope. Downhill on the whole from the equator to the north pole, the earth, being as it is. and oblate spheroid.

It’d get harder, cos of the sea and that and the lack of paved roads and the wind and the weather. So perhaps uphill in a metaphorical sense.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

But the equator is on the side of the globe so if you start there are ride due north I can’t help thinking that is straight up 😳

munrobiker
    Free Member

In the UK technically, yes, it is uphill. Lizard Point you can ride from just about sea level at the slipway but at Dunnet Head the cliffs are around 40-50m. So you would be 40-50m higher than when you started. That’s only based on sea level, though.

The answer above about equator to north pole being generally downhill due to the earth being wider in the middle is correct.

fasthaggis

sandwicheater

I’ve been fortunate to have ridden from one end of this united kingdon (South in this instance) until I reached the other end. It felt mostly like up hill*. FACT.

*except the down bits, they felt distinctly less up

fasthaggis

I’ve been fortunate to have ridden from one end of this united kingdon (South in this instance) until I reached the other end.

I have also done this,but I had a mahoosive tailwind every day ,so it felt like downhill most of the way..Fact 🙂

Northwind

From here it’d be almost all downhill until I get to Cramond, then I’d drown. Though there’s a pretty good chance I’d be killed on the bypass riding across it at 10 degrees

Stevet1
    Free Member

cats going up surely, you can see his little paw ready to put on the next step

pictonroad

cat is going down

fasthaggis

There is no cat

matt_outandabout

cat is going down

+1

Rubber_Buccaneer

The cat is going down.

fasthaggis

downy cat
    You would think that Ste being a No 1 vet would know that 😉

igm

The cat has paused, wondering why you’re looking at it

convert

The cat is going down….backwards.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Is the cat blue and gold though…

gwaelod
    Free Member

This is a “Deviation from the Geoid” question isn’t it.

Given the colouring over the UK – going North towards the North Pole would mean going from Whitish red to darker red…so Downhill.

Mind there’s the sea and stuff….but sea level is even more complicated than Geoids

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Down, look at the flashing* on the side of the steps.

*I presume that’s the right term even when it’s not a roof

Rubber_Buccaneer

Now I look at it again I can clearly see the cat is not going down it is coming down. That is why I can see it’s face.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘If you only ever rode north….’ is closed to new replies.