Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • If you had a week off in June, where would you go/what would you do?
  • flange
    Free Member

So, I’m changing jobs in June and have a week between finishing and starting. If you had a week, on your own – where would you go and what would you do?

Don’t mind if its biking or not – haven’t set my mind on anything yet. Potentially have a trip to Tignes planned later in the year so potentially that side of my cycling is covered.

Any ideas?

Budget wise < £1500 would be nice

jekkyl

very subjective question, for me a week in the lakes travelling round various YHAs (I like meeting the random folk you find in them) but with a private room in each. Cycling everyday, maybe just relaxing scenic riding and some gnar. Down the local boozer every night. 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Yah, that has legs. I also like the sound of ‘private room’, that appeals!

jekkyl

The YHA at Buttermere is lovely and the vista from the front is outstanding. The old YHA at derwentwater is now called the Derwentwater independent hostel and is also lovely. With waterfalls in the grounds, woodpeckers and squirrels that visit the garden next to the meal room and right on the borrowdale bash route. Going the YHA route your cost would be considerable less than 1500 but the consequence is the weather not bet the best. For that money you could probably have a nice week in Ibiza! with significantly better weather.

allfankledup

My mate and his mrs are currently island hopping around greece. Not jealous at all…. well maybe a little…

flange
    Free Member

Thanks Jekkyl, thats great. will give that some serious thought as I’ve got the kit – just need to get out and do it.

I was unsure about Greece when I went, although island hopping sounds cool…

sadexpunk

My mate and his mrs are currently island hopping around greece. Not jealous at all…. well maybe a little…

was my first thought too…..

lunge

I have just that, albeit with my wife as well, and am going to Ibiza for a week. Cheap flights from Brum, got a couple of days cycling planned, some relaxing, some good food and drink and a good few beers too.

ton

a steady tour of the Hebrides. ace.

scud
    Free Member

a steady tour of the Hebrides. ace.

With Ton here, best week i’ve had with bike in a long time was with a couple of mates touring Outer Hebrides on fat bikes travelling along the beaches and bivvying, friendly people, pretty place, good whisky and the odd smoke house, was ace!

Stoner
    Free Member

Im in a similar position and have a pink slip for a “week” at the end of June. Unfortuantely that’s more likely to be a Mon-Fri kind of week rather than full on 7dayer.

Ive been looking at walking the slopes of Mt Etna, but once flights out and back are done, its only a few days of holiday time.

Was also thinking about doing some gentle touring in the Netherlands, but the same problem, driving with bike would take nearly 2 days to get there.

SO instead I think Im going to take the van to Scotland (staying S of the great glen), catch up with some people, ride a bit, walk a bit and be back for last orders Friday night.

tjagain

I’d go walking in the west coast of scotland – funnily enough what I am doing this june

Rubber_Buccaneer

Solo I’d check if Ciclo montana had a space for me.

But I’m not solo so I have a long weekend in the lakes then a week in FoD lined up. June could be my favourite month this year 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I feel your pain Stoner. There’s the route down the west coast of France that I really want to do, but its almost a days effort to get on the right side of the water, then you’ve got the faff of getting back. Maybe Scotland is the answer…

TJ – what are the midges like this time of year?

chewkw
    Free Member

Visit Finland to people watch … never been there so I just thought that’s what I would do … 😛

ton

I am going to Biarritz in june. cycling back up to St Malo. at a very slow steady pace.

fifeandy
    Free Member

TJ – what are the midges like this time of year?

Freshly hatched and starving

flange
    Free Member

Freshly hatched and starving

Mega! Biarritz sounds better then!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position with an enforced gap of 1 month, I’m off to do the Santiago de Compostela for two weeks then surf the Southern French coast (Biarritz as it happens) up to Southern Brittany..

onlysteel
    Free Member

Good shout, Jekkyl. Used to regularly youth hostel on my own in the lakes, albeit 15-20 years ago, while Mrs took school kids to outdoor centres. Used to really look forward to it, planing my walking routes, occasional wild camping and a few pints in the pub after dinner, all at my own, please myself pace.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘If you had a week off in June, where would you go/what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.