Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • If you had a serious amount of bike stuff to clear…
  • psychle
    Free Member

I've just done the inadvisable and carried out an 'audit' of my bikes and various bike bits accumulated over the past couple of years… now, I knew I'd spent a bit on stuff, but I'm genuinely shocked at just how much cash I have tied up in bike related items, we're talking £12K plus… so, it's become apparent that I have to have a MAJOR clearout, the aim being to reduce this figure by around half (means going down to 2 bikes + my play trials bike, oh and my Brompton 🙄 )

So I have around £5-6k worth of gear to sell (not complete bikes, just gear! a few frames, brakes, forks, shocks, lots of other things)… so how would you do it? should I just whack a mahoosive classifieds ad up? Or should I do it in stages? Should I notify STW Towers so they don't think I'm a trader? Maybe I go down the Ebay route perhaps? Looking for some advice from the STW collective…

BTW, if you're after something, let me know, there's probably a good chance I'll have it 😉

cheers

MrNutt
    Free Member

classifieds would be your best bit, but break the ads into frames, wheels, etc the phrase "big clearout" is a bit of a pain to trawl through IMHO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do it in stages on the classifides, then when you're done, 'pay' for you adverts. It'll be no less profitable than ebay.

What you could do, is say advertise 5 items at a time in detail, but type up a comprehensive list to email out to people, or just name the items on the post.

br
    Free Member

Sell frames but not 'consumables', nor anything else you can break.

I did make the mistake of selling a pair of Reba's once, and 6 months later my son needed a pair of forks for his 4x bike…

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – you'd be better off doing it in batches or else the whole thing can rapidly spiral into a chaotic whirlwind

start listing frames, then maybe wheels etc. etc.

IA

And decent 120mm forks I might be interested…

akira

£20 for the lot including postage?
    You do get less money on here normally but ebay takes a massive cut, sell here and make a contribution.

wwaswas

I'd start by putting a teaser on the main bike forum…

uplink
    Free Member

I see now that Paypal want an extra cut if you want your money withdrawn in under a week

renton
    Free Member

have you got any large 120-130mm travel frames??

if so mail me at stevierenton@hotmail.com

ta

steve

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hmm what frames you got??

psychle
    Free Member

TBH, I'm not that fussed about getting 'top' dollar…

OK, I'll set about arranging things into categories and get listings up on the classifieds. Will probably wait till the New Year, no one seems to be buying anything at the moment (my Whyte 19 has been up for grabs for a month, I don't think £225 is too high a price?)

cheers 🙂

Tiboy

Any nice 150/160mm forks?

Jerome
    Free Member

Any steel cyclo cross frames..

psychle
    Free Member

Tiboy, YGM… Renton, sorry mate, all frames are medium/smallish… IA, have a set of older Fox Vanilla RLC, 125mm travel if you're interested?

Stay tuned folks for the classified ad's of the century 😆

Swalsey
    Free Member

Classifieds in stages. Ebay after 5 failed attempts!

soma_rich
    Free Member

medium small 🙁 I could manage an 18"

psychle
    Free Member

it begins… a few things listed now 🙂

bungie
    Free Member

I always use fleabay. Think of a sensible price and advertise as buy it now, most normal people just want to BIN for a sensible price without biddding. Don't be greedy though. Selling on here is a pain in the neck, too many time wasters (sorry but it's true).

hitman
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper?

psychle
    Free Member

keeping my gravity dropper, would miss it too much 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Someone should have haggled you down to £200 and had that Whyte off you, must be that everyone's saving for their turkey.

psychle
    Free Member

yeah, I think I'll have better luck in the New Year…

PJ266
    Free Member

If I had any money right now I'd have it off you. It'd be perrrrrrrfect 🙁

steve_b77
    Free Member

Any decent brakes?

thejesmonddingo

Why didn't you just tell kaesae where you live?
    Ian

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘If you had a serious amount of bike stuff to clear…’ is closed to new replies.